Cant get my head around Alaska

gordylad

Help.

Have cruise Med and Caribbean and thinking of the San Fran/Alaska Cruise but from the UK know little about what to expect from Alaska other than reading.

We like sunshine......

Thanks

The only way to "get your head around Alaska"...is to experience Alaska !!...and the sun also shines in Alaska !!:D

We did an Alaskan cruise from Long Beach via SF, Seattle, Victoria..and loved every minute !! Amazing is a word often used by those who cruise Alaska...so go...and be Amazed !!

DSCF0131_zpse7cf1a2e.jpg

Sunrise in Alaska...from the deck of the Celebrity Summit !

Woody

I'm Canadian, so maybe I had a better idea on what to expect, plus being in the Canadian Navy on the west coast, helped, :D We sailed in early May 2009 which can be a rainy time of the season, but it only rained for about 30 min in 1 port, otherwise the weather was awesome. yes it was a bit cool while out on the water--but I still ran on the upper decks in my shorts and shirt--then again I wear shorts 99% of the time. We had a great trip and great excursions--we did them all with private tours. We sailed on RCCL and can't really say anythign bad about the ship or Alaska!!

I have cruised Alaska twice. There is nothing else like it. It is beautiful and the scenery changes port by port. There is not a lot of sun, (although we had a beatiful sunny 73 degree day in Ketchacan) and it can be cold and rainny. My favorite shore excursion of all time was a helecopter ride to a glacier and a stop at a sled dog camp for a dog sled ride.

September can be very risky -- we did our only Alaska mid September (last cruise of the season) in 2011. The captain said we went through 5 storms while in Alaskan waters. Many other ships at the same time missed multiple ports -- we were lucky. We had winds and rain in every port -- (a lot of rain!)

We'll try again someday, but we're in no hurry -- we like the sun also.

Here is a picture of the liquor store aboard. The captain needed to list the ship to get the Canadian pilots aboard for the trip south. Even though he announced it 15 minutes before he did it, it still caused some problems. It was amazing the see the pilot boat bobbed like a cork in the rough seas. We could actually see the propellers come out of the water. All of the outside decks were closed included the pool deck. It took a long time before they were successful. I asked an officer later what would have happened if they hadn't been able to get them aboard and we were told we would not have been able to proceed.

IMG_2225.JPG

Next week Hawaii for us :D

thanks everyone so far sailing date would be Sept 2014

Hows the weather at that time?

We sailed Sept 18 when we went and we got some rain in Ketchican. Otherwise the weather was wonderful. We are going again in about 45 days. We were like you, we thought we would not like the cruise since we also like sunshine and palm trees. But as others have said Alaska is amazing

Because your cruise is in Sept, a lot of the stores in towns like Skagway will be closing down for the season (some go tot he Caribbean where they also have shops) and you will get some good bargains.

We sailed Sept 18 when we went and we got some rain in Ketchican. Otherwise the weather was wonderful. We are going again in about 45 days. We were like you, we thought we would not like the cruise since we also like sunshine and palm trees. But as others have said Alaska is amazing

Because your cruise is in Sept, a lot of the stores in towns like Skagway will be closing down for the season (some go tot he Caribbean where they also have shops) and you will get some good bargains.

The one really bright side about later in September -- we were the only ship in all of our ports. We got the traditional sail away mooning in Skagway as the last ship of the season and I bought a $60 waterproof parka in Ketchikan for $10! :D

I loved my Alaska cruise for the views and the shore excursions. Cannot wait to get DH to go. The ship, the entertainment and the food and service were all top notch. HOWEVER, I never once laid out by the pool, went swimming or sat soaking up the sun while drinking fruity beverages. So, although I loved cruising as a way to see Alaska, you cannot go into it expecting it to be a warm weather Caribbean vacation.

I've done two Alaskan cruises, none with Celebrity though.

I would do a third in a heartbeat. It's absolutely gorgeous to sail up there.

Is it chilly? Yes. Is it rainy? Occassionally. Is it sunny? More often than you realize. Is it worth the trip? Hell, YES!

There may be no snorkelling or scuba to do as in a Caribbean vacation, but if you wanted to try whale watching or helicopter rides over glaciers or dog sledding, it's unlike any experience you will have.

We went mid September, 2011 and it rained in every port. Really rained:eek: a group on a ships tour could not get back because of a storm and had to be found local accommodation until the storm ended and they were able to join us the following evening.

One plus was the Diamond shops were closing and staff moving down to Caribbean whilst tourist shops were selling stock at much lower prices:D

I have done the Alaska trip 3 times. Weather in Alaska is very iffy. Southwest Alaska is a rain forest. I went once at the end of May and twice in late August. All three times we had a lot of rain. Last August trip I brought 80 yr. old dad. It rained everyday and he was freezing. If good weather is really important to you I would chose another cruise. Those of you that had really sunny weather were lucky. I have been to Alaska on business more times than I can count so it wasn`t just the 3 cruises. However when the sun shines it is the most beautiful place you have ever seen.

I wonder if anyone can give me some information about temperature and rain for July. We are from the northwest of the UK and we certainly know about rain, but wonder how this compares?

We are all really looking forward to this trip next year - we booked the Solstice out of Seattle. Anyone got any recommendations for pre and post cruise?

Thanks in anticipation.

BB

In all honesty, it probably will be cold. But it will also be incredibly beautiful. It's hard to name all the reasons why it was so great, but here are a few:

-the amazing glaciers (we went to hubbard glacier and it was simply stunning).

-the wildlife. we saw orcas from the boat, dolphins, salmon leaping out of the water in port at Ketchikan, bald eagles, salmon swimming upstream, and a wild bear in Juneau eating a salmon.

-we also stopped in Victoria, British Colombia, which is a must see! Such a beautiful town and Butchart Gardens are amazing.

Obviously, I definitely recommend it (and I am a warm weather lover too)!

Help.

Have cruise Med and Caribbean and thinking of the San Fran/Alaska Cruise but from the UK know little about what to expect from Alaska other than reading.

We like sunshine......

Thanks

Our 1st cruise was the Alaska inner passage-very calm waters. Amazing landscapes. One afternoon sitting on my balcony a whale appeared-just jumped out of the water &dove down.

10 yrs later it is still a huge memory. Weather in June was warm-not hot. Wore cotton sweaters over Henley style shirts,jeans. By noon the sweater was not needed. The only time you should need heavy clothes is if you do a tour to a glacier base camp.

Bring your camera and enjoy

Carole

I have done three cruises to Alaska, one in early September. I have been lucky and we have had mostly sunny weather every time. It is cold, but not freezing. Since I live in Texas I enjoy the cold, sunny weather. The beauty of the mountains is amazing, and the towns where you stop are quaint and interesting. My two best experiences were a helicopter to a glacier and a float plane over the Misty Fjords National Park. These excursions are not cheap, but totally fabulous if you can swing it. As others have said, end of season sales are great. Alaska is still my favorite cruise and I would go again in a minute.

Carolyn

I wonder if anyone can give me some information about temperature and rain for July. We are from the northwest of the UK and we certainly know about rain, but wonder how this compares?

We are all really looking forward to this trip next year - we booked the Solstice out of Seattle. Anyone got any recommendations for pre and post cruise?

Thanks in anticipation.

BB

From a Yorkshire lass it was wet and cold in September:eek: glaciers don't look so magnificent draped in low mist. We enjoyed the visit and searched out the old bars in each town where there was live entertainment - great fun. But to be honest the towns were a bit like a rainy bank holiday Monday in Blackpool. We did see lots of animal life which was very memorable.

Just one point which might help- all the tours to glaciers, train ride, etc you can book when you dock.

Lots of weather information on google but as you can see from replies it changes so much. Now with deep snow here in spring what can we say:rolleyes:

The Cruise Critic Alaska forum is a great resource for those planning a cruise to Alaska. A number of Alaskans routinely post on that board (including me -- for those non-US residents, "AK" is the United States Postal Service abbreviation for Alaska).

Southeast Alaska is a rain forest, so people should expect rain. However, May tends to be the driest month of the cruise season. Just prepare for rain, and if it doesn't happen you are in for a treat.

Alaska is a huge state, with a great variety of terrain. I live in the interior (north of the Alaska Range and south of the Brooks Range) where the climate is described as an arctic dessert. In Fairbanks we expect to have highs in the upper +80s F to mid+90s F for several weeks in late June to mid-July. Even though we live a two hour drive from Denali (Mt. McKinley) our weather is very different than that area, in part because Denali is so tall it influences local weather around it.

We went last August, weather was beautiful! We would begin the day wrapped up in layers and end in shorts by the afternoon:) The only rain we had was in Ketchikan and that meant our floatplane flight to see the bears was cancelled half way into the journey :(

Give it a try, pack like you were staying in the UK for the summer - a bit of everything. Honestly, its stunning you will not regret it.

When my family suggested we all do an Alaskan cruise a few years ago I though my DH was going to have a complete melt-down. To him, vacation meant hot weather, beaches, snorkeling etc. He went kicking and screaming.

Fast-forward three years later and we are talking about doing Alaska again. He loved it! Don;t compare it to other cruises, it is unlike anyplace else on Earth and must be experienced. Just go!!

I was exactly like you and resisted the Alaska cruise for many years. I always thought of sun and beaches when I thought of a cruise. We finally went with another couple and absolutey loved it. We went in August and highs were in upper 50's and lower 60's. We dressed in layers and by the afternoon were usually down to a single layer. We bought rain jackets with hoods and waterproof walking shoes that we are still using.

One other recommendation - don't just go an Alaska cruise. Spend some time in Alaska if you can. We flew into Fairbanks and spent a week making our way to Seward by rental car, bus, and train. It was absolutely breathtaking. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise but Alaska is so much more.

We've gone to Alaska twice, both time in Sept. and the weather was beautiful. Cool and sunny, with rain on just one day. We're told we were very luck. Before you book, check how many ships are going to be in the ports. The last time were in Skagway, there were 4 ships in town and it was very crowded. Don't miss the Hubbard Glacier, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Ya, we went in early May--think it was RCCL 1st sailing of the Alaska season. And what was super nice was that I think there was only 1 other cruise ship in each port. They say in the summer it turns into a big time zoo!! Of course in the warmer months, one does see more calfing in the Galciers. Yes do check out the Alaska forum on CC for excursion ideas---We did all private tours and each was a home run!!

Archived