transportation airport to hotel

Junebug1

I originally thought we would take a taxi from BCN to our hotel, but I have read several threads where people have take a train from the airport & said it was easy. Our hotel confirmation gave directions using the train, then the metro. the metro stop is not far from the hotel.

My question is, how difficult would it be if we both have one large suitcase & a backpack?

Has anyone done this? Is it easy to keep your cases with you? This is our first trip to Europe,so we're alittle clueless.

thanks for your help.

June

I originally thought we would take a taxi from BCN to our hotel, but I have read several threads where people have take a train from the airport & said it was easy. Our hotel confirmation gave directions using the train, then the metro. the metro stop is not far from the hotel.

My question is, how difficult would it be if we both have one large suitcase & a backpack?

Has anyone done this? Is it easy to keep your cases with you? This is our first trip to Europe,so we're alittle clueless.

thanks for your help.

June

No, we took a taxi, but I have used the Barcelona metro many times, and I would not use it with a large bag and a back pack. It can be crowded with standing room only at times. When you are just coming off a long flight, tired, and don't know the city, a taxi is the way to go, relatively inexpensive, door to door, easy and convenient. Enjoy your stay in Barcelona! It's a beautiful city.

I have not taken the train/metro from the airport but I have taken the Aerobus to Pl Catalunya. We also had one large bag & backpack each.

The Aerobus costs €5,90 per person & has a large area for luggage. It leaves from either T1 or T2 about every 5 mins (takes about 30 mins to reach Pl Catalunya) & has several stops along the way. Very easy & economical.

http://aerobusbcn.com/index.php/en/discoveraerobus.html

thanks for your help.

June

Dead simple. Ticket machines even have an English button. Last time we went to BCN we arrived by train, and then metro to our B&B. With one suitcase and one carryon, it wasn't an issue.

I don’t know where you are flying from and on which airline. If you are coming from USA you are likely to be arriving at terminal 1.

The train from the airport to Barcelona leaves from terminal 2 so first you will need to take the free shuttle to the other terminal.

A single ticket to Passeig de Gracia costs €3.80. You will then probably need the metro to your hotel which costs €2 per person. For 2 people this journey will cost €11.60.

As dogs4fun says the Aerobus costs €5.90 per person (€11.80 total). I don’t know which hotel you are staying at but, unless it is close to Plaza Catalunya, you may need to take the metro. This makes the cost of the journey €15.80

A taxi would cost €25-35 depending on time of day, day of week and amount of traffic.

Remember, you are arriving in a city you do no know and you will be tired from your flight.

Only you can say whether you want to pay the extra for a taxi that will take you right to your hotel

Thanks for your thoughts. We'll probably just take a taxi. We are flying in from JFK & arriving @ 9:40AM. I'm hoping to sleep on the plane, but you never know. We should probably save as much energy for sightseeing as we can.

Thanks again!!

I don’t know where you are flying from and on which airline. If you are coming from USA you are likely to be arriving at terminal 1.

The train from the airport to Barcelona leaves from terminal 2 so first you will need to take the free shuttle to the other terminal.

A single ticket to Passeig de Gracia costs €3.80. You will then probably need the metro to your hotel which costs €2 per person. For 2 people this journey will cost €11.60.

As dogs4fun says the Aerobus costs €5.90 per person (€11.80 total). I don’t know which hotel you are staying at but, unless it is close to Plaza Catalunya, you may need to take the metro. This makes the cost of the journey €15.80

A taxi would cost €25-35 depending on time of day, day of week and amount of traffic.

Remember, you are arriving in a city you do no know and you will be tired from your flight.

Only you can say whether you want to pay the extra for a taxi that will take you right to your hotel

If we take the Aerobus from the airport how far a walk is it to the hotel from their closest stop(Flor Parks)? is the area safe?

Thanks,

Bill

If we take the Aerobus from the airport how far a walk is it to the hotel from their closest stop(Flor Parks)? is the area safe?

Thanks,

Bill

I would say about a 10-15 minute walk straight down La Rambla, but it depends what time of year and how busy it is and, of course, how heavy your cases are.

Thanks for your thoughts. We'll probably just take a taxi. We are flying in from JFK & arriving @ 9:40AM. I'm hoping to sleep on the plane, but you never know. We should probably save as much energy for sightseeing as we can.

Thanks again!!

You have made the right decision and will be glad you did. Enjoy.

Thanks,

Bill

It is about half a mile from the Aerobus on Placa Catalunya to Hotel Flor Parks. It is a straight walk down Las Ramblas.

I presume you are arriving during the day. The area is generally safe but beware of pickpockets who tend to target people carrying/wheeling luggage.

• 5 months later...

We have a hotel 3 blocks from Plaza Catalunya Aerobus stop. After thinking about it far more than I needed to, I decided we would take the taxi and arrive at the hotel on a Friday night with luggage at around 8 pm. I am sleeping much better now.

Those pickpocket stories bothered me more than I thought they would!! Especially when a 6'3" guy was telling me of the two on one pickpocket attempt that happened to him.

thanks for your help.

June

A taxi is definitely a good choice after such a long journey as especially Barcelona's metro system is not so friendly for people with much luggage! However, in order to complete the list of possibilities - private airport transfers as well as airport shuttles might be an appropriate option. Drivers are going to pick you up from the airport and drop you off directly in front of your hotel (and usually they have good English speaking abilities).

In March this year I've booked a shuttle for friends of mine and they have been pretty satisfied.

http://www.bcn.travel/transport/airport-transfers

Archived