Oasis to Europe 2014

sidari

Official press release

Oasis of the Seas to visit Southampton in October 2014

27 March 2013: The world’s largest cruise ship, Oasis of the Seas, will offer cruises in Europe for the first time in autumn 2014, including making its first ever port of call into Southampton on 15 October 2014.

Accommodating 6,400 guests at total capacity, Oasis of the Seas is longer than four football pitches, wider than almost six London buses parked end-to-end, and is a huge 225,282 Gross Registered Tons. When Oasis of the Seas arrives in Southampton, it will be 40 per cent larger than any other cruise ship to ever dock in the UK and will join two further Royal Caribbean International cruise ships based in the port.

Oasis of the Seas will leave Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, its home port since December 2009, on 1 September 2014 on a 12-night eastbound transatlantic cruise to Barcelona. The world’s largest and most innovative cruise ship will offer a series of cruises from the Spanish port – two five-night roundtrip Western Mediterranean sailings and a seven-night sailing to Rotterdam – before heading to dry-dock in the Képpel Verolme shipyard in the Netherlands for routine maintenance.

The ship will return to Port Everglades on a 13-night westbound transatlantic cruise on 14 October 2014, departing from Rotterdam in the Netherlands and calling into Southampton on 15 October 2014 where UK guests can join the ship to sail across the Atlantic.

Jo Rzymowska, associate vice president and general manager, Royal Caribbean International, UK and Ireland, explains:

“Oasis of the Seas sailing from Southampton is going to be the hottest ticket in town. Bringing the world’s largest and most innovative cruise ship to Europe, and specifically the UK and Southampton, is testament to how much the cruise industry has grown. When Oasis of the Seas was launched, the ship was a real game-changer for the cruise industry and it continues to be one of the most innovative holiday resorts in the world. Royal Caribbean International is proud to have a long heritage of ships calling in and based from Southampton and we’re very excited to add Oasis of the Seas to this.”

With a range of exclusive features onboard such as its very own Central Park, Oasis of the Seas has a real outdoor park about the size of a football pitch filled with more than 12,000 real trees and plants, an 82 foot-long zip wire, a hand-crafted carousel, a huge open air theatre – the AquaTheater - rock climbing walls and surf simulators. The ship features 16 decks packed full of activities and entertainment including the West End hit, Hairspray, huge open air spaces and more activities for families than have ever been seen at sea before.

The UK cruise industry continues to perform well and in 2012 over 1.7 million Brits took a cruise – the highest it has ever been, with one in eight of all package holidays taken as a cruise. According to industry statistics released by the Passenger Shipping Association in the last year there was a ten per cent increase in holidaymakers embarking on cruise ships in a UK port of call.

Ship owner, Royal Caribbean International, is also hopeful that Oasis of the Seas will deliver a positive impact for the city of Southampton. Economic impact analysis carried out by the Port of Southampton states that a ship turnaround in the port generates around £2.5 million of knock on revenue for the city and surrounding area.

Crown and Anchor members should have had an email this week inviting pre-registration before these cruises go on sale to the general public. I think we might expect to pay premium prices for this one off cruise experience. Never thought we would see Oasis in Europe. I expect demand will be high for the opportunity to experience Oasis without taking Transatlantic flights.

Crown and Anchor members should have had an email this week inviting pre-registration before these cruises go on sale to the general public. I think we might expect to pay premium prices for this one off cruise experience. Never thought we would see Oasis in Europe. I expect demand will be high for the opportunity to experience Oasis without taking Transatlantic flights.

I'm sure the demand WILL be high....if we knew our movements in 2014, we'd be first in the queue!

I know what you mean Jo. I wish deposits were refundable as they are in the US and then it would make it easier to book so far ahead. It makes me crazy when I hear others saying that they have booked far out as they know they can cancel before final payment. There is a thread on the RCCL board where a poster is actually saying that the prices will drop once people start cancelling.

Book through the US if that bothered about being able to cancell.

Untill they release pricing it will be difficult to decide which way to go.

They may go sensible and price to sell and fill quickly.

Or they could go high to try to max out revenue then there will be late discounts.

Remember to price up a TA/flight and an Oasis trip from the US, local may have some convenience premium but how much?

The reloc from BCN to Rotterdam might be ok prices not so convenient for flights.

Also look at flight prices and alternative cruises that can use the same flights.

I suspect that the timing will attract enough pax to cause discounts on other ships.

Why did they not do this during the school hols?

if looking to do the TA back to US there are cheap one way flights from US flight consolidators.

Miami back to London on Virgin around $400.

Don't forget they will probably do alure in 2015 so there will be another chance.

The itineraries -

August 30th 2014 2 night Bahamas sailing.

Sept 1, 2014

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

Malaga, Spain

At sea

Barcelona, Spain

09/13/14, 5 nights -

Embark Barcelona

At sea

Rome

At sea

Mallorca

Disembark Barcelona

09/18/14 5 nights -

Embark Barcelona

At sea

Rome

Naples

At sea

Disembark Barcelona

09/23/14 7 nights.

Embark Barcelona

At sea

Malaga

At sea

Vigo

At sea

At sea

Disembark Rotterdam

Drydock, then -

Oct 14, 2014

Rotterdam, Netherlands

Southampton, UK

At sea

At sea

Vigo, Spain

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

At sea

Ft. Lauderdale,FL

If you book through a US TA then you can book flights through Choice Air (you can then pick a flight/airline that suits you).

I am planning to do the Eastbound Transatlantic :D

I would be interested in the TA cruise but as a non-flyer I need to know if the Cunard itinerary would fit in to get be back but they don't appear to have published their October/November 2014 sailings. When are they ususally released?

Released last week

http://www.cunard.co.uk/documents/brochures/2014%20-%20launch%20voyage%20calendar.pdf

looks like a 5 day cruise followed by the 7 day one and then the train home,so a one way flight to Barcelona maybe a extra nite before and after :):) (hoping that the loft suites aren't overpriced )

Oooooh now THERE'S an alternative to doing the TA...... thanks for popping the idea in my head.....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Liz..... what's happening during dry dock?

Hi Linda, sorry I don't know what is happening, it is only a 2 week dry dock so I am guessing just a freshening up maybe of furnishings etc.:confused:

I will see if I can find out anything anywhere and let you know.:D

As anyone else registered interest for the TA crossing. Does anyone have any thoughts on price, will they be more than the general TA crossings because it will be a one off, or a fair price. Your thoughts please

The 2 Transatlantics may be worth a look although it is a shame that they have not put in a few more ports either way though i guess that is so they can have the 2 five night cruises, been to all the ports on the 5 nighters and only Vigo on the 7 nighter probably would not be a goer either as we have been to Malaga.

Pricing will probably have to compete with or close to the other ships sailing the Med at that time, the 7 nighter may cost less as it is going from Hot to Cold temperature wise.

Prices are out on the 11th of April i believe.

Edited by sidari

Had a dig around and it seems this dry dock will be used to check the hull and the systems of the ship. It is apparently a law of some type that ships have this done every 5 years.

Okies ta.

Do you happen to know what the itinerary is after the Westbound TA?

Also by going out of BCN they will be hit with the spanish cruise tax.

The more that pre reg the higher the likely pricing.

My first scan of other ships found no other TA cruises to match up with these allthough not all the late 2014 itineraries are anounced.