Well Now, This Is a Lovely Surprise.......

sail7seas

Actually, our Platinum Medallion trumps the Five Star. Platinum is 700 actual days not including bonus days.

Five Star is 500 days and does include bonus spending and suite days.

Ahhhhh you'll be Platinum in no time.

Then you will truly be "The Grand Dame of "DAM"

Our mail just came and included was an envelope from HAL addressed to both DH and me.

Enclosed were two of the little blue pouches we recognize as containing Mariner Pins and, indeed, that is what was inside.

We each received a brushed silver/platinum colored Five Star Mariners Pin the same size as the gold ones we all recognize.

It has five stars arranged in a arc as in my signature with the Mariner Star Logo Beneath.

The platinum color makes them stand out from the Four Star and other Mariners Pins and the softer color is attractive.

Thank you, Mariners Society.

We're pleased to receive them and particularly look forward to enjoying some of the new amenities attached to being Five Star. :)

Congratulations to one of Cruise Critic's resident experts.

It s certainly well deserved.

Out pins arrived in the mail recently, too. We were 5-star on our Noordam cruise in January, but they said that the pins would arrive in the mail, and they did! :) Our gold medallion should find us on our next cruise.

Congratulations to one of Cruise Critic's resident experts.

It s certainly well deserved.

That's so nice. :) Thank you.

Out pins arrived in the mail recently, too. We were 5-star on our Noordam cruise in January, but they said that the pins would arrive in the mail, and they did! :) Our gold medallion should find us on our next cruise.

Congratulations.

It's so fun getting the various Medallions and Pins.

Ahhhhh you'll be Platinum in no time.

Then you will truly be "The Grand Dame of "DAM"

Sail already has her Platinum. :) I think she is already the Grande Dame:)

I found this picture of the new 5 star pin on ebay today.

Incase anyone wanted to know what it looked like, thought I would post it.

Looking foward to getting ours soon.:D

$T2eC16d,!yEE9s5jGKoOBRW(ur8QzQ~~60_35.JPG

Thanks for posting this, Melody!

I am shocked that someone is selling this!!!!! Already! Unreal.

I check the mail every day, but as the days pass I am getting more patient (sort of). Soon....

Thanks for posting this, Melody!

I am shocked that someone is selling this!!!!! Already! Unreal.

I check the mail every day, but as the days pass I am getting more patient (sort of). Soon....

Yeah, I was surprised to see that someone was selling this, and for $125. Oh and by the way there is one bid for it at that price.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that someone was selling this, and for $125. Oh and by the way there is one bid for it at that price.

"There's a sucker born every minute" seems to be true still. :rolleyes:

Why would someone buy a pin that represents something they have not achieved? They can't think they'll wear it on a ship and no one will know they have not legitimally been awarded it?

The front office ladies always have a check list with Medallion/High Star Mariners names and number of days on their list. It's on a clipboard they always have in hand at the reception.

Why would someone buy a pin that represents something they have not achieved? They can't think they'll wear it on a ship and no one will know they have not legitimally been awarded it?

The front office ladies always have a check list with Medallion/High Star Mariners names and number of days on their list. It's on a clipboard they always have in hand at the reception.

Maybe they are fans of HAL and can no longer sail? Maybe they are 5* and haven't gotten a pin and don't know to email the mariner society? Perhaps they think they will just impress fellow passengers? who knows?

seems like a junk of change - so I would think it has some value to them whether it be sentimental or whatever.

Maybe someone has lost his 5 star pin already? That is the only reason I have ever thought made sense for a person to buy a pin.
I would think an email to the Mariner Society would fix that problem for free.

Hi everybody,

I'll bury this here because it's not worth it's own thread but today was a great day.

I got an unexpected piece of mail.......from HAL.....it was an envelope with a little blue sachet in it.

Now I know its not a 5 star pin ( you guys are the real champs) but I got a damn pin! A little copper 2 star pin but to me it felt like a million bucks!

I'm Rudy! Let me in the game coach!

Yippee!

Thanks, I'm done. :)

We received our 5 Star Pins too!

Will wear them on our upcoming 75 day cruise in September on the Amsterdam!

Pleasant surprise!

Mariella and Bob

Hi everybody,

I'll bury this here because it's not worth it's own thread but today was a great day.

I got an unexpected piece of mail.......from HAL.....it was an envelope with a little blue sachet in it.

Now I know its not a 5 star pin ( you guys are the real champs) but I got a damn pin! A little copper 2 star pin but to me it felt like a million bucks!

I'm Rudy! Let me in the game coach!

Yippee!

Thanks, I'm done. :)

CONGRATULATIONS...... Both of you.

It's wonderful fun when that envelope lands in your mailbox.

Even if you suspect you know what is in it, it's still so fun opening it.

Wear your Pins on Lots of Great cruises. :)

CONGRATULATIONS...... Both of you.

It's wonderful fun when that envelope lands in your mailbox.

Even if you suspect you know what is in it, it's still so fun opening it.

Wear your Pins on Lots of Great cruises. :)

Thanks Sail, you re always so upbeat for everyone even though your 2 star pin was a while ago. You always make people feel special. I thought the envelope was future cruise propaganda so I was so surprised that there was a pin in it.

2 cruises 1 pin....god help my wallet to get the next one. I'm young or so I feel so let the good times roll!!!!!!!

In the mail today our 5 star pins came!! All the way from Malmo, Sweden?? At least that is what the sticker in the stamp area of the envelope said.

So, after all the wait, it was worth it. Lovely pins, with the added benefit that the stick pin on the back is placed higher than on our 4 star pins. Those have the pin centered in the middle and they have a tendancy to twirl a bit and often sit upside down. This is a big improvement!

Since we have only the 4 star pin for comparison, I still can't see what the difference is between the 5 star and the 3 star pin in color.

I hope all 5 stars out there will report in about the new rewards. I am expecially interested in knowing how the cooking class is handled. On the HALBlog, there was a post about how the Zaandam had a special class for 5 stars. I wonder if this will be done on any cruise where there are enough 5 stars. Otherwise, 5 stars would join the regular class (if there is enough room??)?

So happy to have these pins! Thanks, HAL!

Thanks Sail, you re always so upbeat for everyone even though your 2 star pin was a while ago. You always make people feel special. I thought the envelope was future cruise propaganda so I was so surprised that there was a pin in it.

2 cruises 1 pin....god help my wallet to get the next one. I'm young or so I feel so let the good times roll!!!!!!!

Thank you. What a nice post. :o

In the mail today our 5 star pins came!! All the way from Malmo, Sweden?? At least that is what the sticker in the stamp area of the envelope said.

So, after all the wait, it was worth it. Lovely pins, with the added benefit that the stick pin on the back is placed higher than on our 4 star pins. Those have the pin centered in the middle and they have a tendancy to twirl a bit and often sit upside down. This is a big improvement!

Since we have only the 4 star pin for comparison, I still can't see what the difference is between the 5 star and the 3 star pin in color.

I hope all 5 stars out there will report in about the new rewards. I am expecially interested in knowing how the cooking class is handled. On the HALBlog, there was a post about how the Zaandam had a special class for 5 stars. I wonder if this will be done on any cruise where there are enough 5 stars. Otherwise, 5 stars would join the regular class (if there is enough room??)?

So happy to have these pins! Thanks, HAL!

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

SilvertoGold,

I was hoping you'd get your pins soon. :)

Happy they finally got to your mailbox.

Enjoy.

I was wondering the same thing Sails. Maybe they just like to collector Hal stuff.

congrats to all the 5 star people. You have helped me (and others) tremendously with all your cruising knowledge.

We made 2 star after our cruise this February and there was a 2 star pin waiting for us when we got home from Florida

Question: Should we have gotten two pins since my husband and I have sailed the same number of days on HAL?

Cold and wet in Ontario

Archived