Now that TA's can be booked what way to go?

gordylad

I'd probably choose by price or cabin availability. But all things equal I'd probably prefer to fly to Europe and cruise back. You get some 25 hour days and I know I adapt to jet lag better when flying eastbound.

I hate overnight transatlantic flights and for that reason I am partial to sailing towards Europe. Plus Europe in the springtime is so pretty with all the flowers and trees blooming. An April TA gets you over there to see all that.

I hate overnight transatlantic flights and for that reason I am partial to sailing towards Europe. Plus Europe in the springtime is so pretty with all the flowers and trees blooming. An April TA gets you over there to see all that.

Yes, but I hate those 23 hour days crossing the pond. ;)

We have done both, and very much prefer the Westbound crossing. The weather improves as we cross and the days are long. I also like to arrive home without significant jet lag. The only disadvantage is the dreadful disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale. We crossed Eastbound last year on Eclipse and the British immigration officials came on board for the last couple of days. We were given a time to see them and the process took about ten minutes, including minimal waiting. When we arrived in Southampton we walked straight off the ship with no inspection at all.

Can you tell me how this works, exactly? We're making our 1st eastbound TA in two weeks.

There is a five hour time difference between Florida and UK, and six hours to mainland Europe. The clocks are set forward an hour on five or six nights, giving less sleep on those nights. Going the other way, the clocks are set back, so the days are 25 hours long.

Sheila

For me Its an Eastbound, reason being that I just cannot take the all night without sleep and then adding on the 5 hrs differance, makes me feel ill!!

Also with the jet lag , I'm not with it for the first 3days. So altho I only have 23hr days going I can handle the gradule lull into Europe time.

Somehow its much better for me to getting over jet lag flying back.:)

There is a five hour time difference between Florida and UK, and six hours to mainland Europe. The clocks are set forward an hour on five or six nights, giving less sleep on those nights. Going the other way, the clocks are set back, so the days are 25 hours long.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila. It looks like it's going to be a wristwatch-on wristwatch-off kind of cruise. ;)

also at the end of the cruise you are home rather than looking at a long flight at the end.

That would be exactly my point for booking an east-bound transatlantic.

A nice flight into the US at the beginning of the vacation, two days in florida to adapt and then a relaxing journey back to Europe. :D:D:D

I'd probably choose by price or cabin availability. But all things equal I'd probably prefer to fly to Europe and cruise back. You get some 25 hour days and I know I adapt to jet lag better when flying eastbound.

this...almost every day coming back was a 25 hour day, and no jet lag when we got home.

I've done both, and prefer the westbound TAs. I've also noticed that you see very few people in the afternoons on eastbounds; most everyone is napping due to the time change ... it just seems to throw everyone for a loop going east.

Once we're home on a westbound, I like that finding that getting a cab in my own currency and language somewhat of a comfort. And those 25 hour days (there's 5 or 6 of them, remember!) are great!

We did them both last year, and flying to Europe and cruising back wins hands down. We live in Phoenix, so in the spring we had to fly to Ft. Lauderdale the day before. That was a three hour time change right there. Then turning the clock ahead an hour 5 or 6 times in the next eight days was a real killer.

In the fall, we flew to London to catch the ship to return to the good old USA. The transatlantic part of the flight was at night, so we poped a couple of slleping pills and caught 3-4 hours sleep. That made all the difference in the world. Getting out of the port in Ft. Lauderdale was a breeze. 1/2 hour after we walked off the ship, we had picked up our luggage and was waiting for the shuttle.

The weather in Europe was a little better in the spring, but the tranatlantic weather was about the same since you take the southerly route.

We did them both last year, and flying to Europe and cruising back wins hands down. We live in Phoenix, so in the spring we had to fly to Ft. Lauderdale the day before. That was a three hour time change right there. Then turning the clock ahead an hour 5 or 6 times in the next eight days was a real killer.

In the fall, we flew to London to catch the ship to return to the good old USA. The transatlantic part of the flight was at night, so we poped a couple of slleping pills and caught 3-4 hours sleep. That made all the difference in the world. Getting out of the port in Ft. Lauderdale was a breeze. 1/2 hour after we walked off the ship, we had picked up our luggage and was waiting for the shuttle.

The weather in Europe was a little better in the spring, but the tranatlantic weather was about the same since you take the southerly route.

We have done both and I can't believe no one commented about the food difference. We found the food far superior on the ships going east. As we were departing the ship in Fort Lauderdale, we heard the same comment from many others even from some of the ships staff. We live in Florida so we have also learned not to drive home when departing the flight if coming back from Europe

If you are from the USA, I would suggest booking a west bound crossing. You will not have any jet lag when you arrive in the US. At least this is what we alwasy do and we are doing again this November.

We have done both directions of TA’s. Advantages each way! Going East toward Europe eliminates that awful overnight flight. And, the anticipation of finally seeing Europe--it’s so exciting to me. Then you have only a daytime flight home--for some reason, it’s not as brutal as overnight.

Going west toward the USA, it’s very nice to arrive with no jet lag--and just adjust to the time difference automatically. So, as someone else said, do them both!

We have done both and I can't believe no one commented about the food difference. We found the food far superior on the ships going east. As we were departing the ship in Fort Lauderdale, we heard the same comment from many others even from some of the ships staff. We live in Florida so we have also learned not to drive home when departing the flight if coming back from Europe

I'm sorry, I don't understand this; why would the food be better going east? And why wouldn't you drive home if you disembark in Florida and also live there. I guess I'm just confused.

Archived