Cabana Club question on Nieuw Amsterdam

BiggerBob

Can any recent users of the Cabana Club Cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam confirm the names of the cabanas. I was able to access the PDF file from these boards ( thank you ) and the names of the cabanas look different from when we booked one in 2011. We had the Portofino that looked over the pool area and was to the right hand side (if looking toward the pool) it was also beside the stairs leading down to the pool area. We would like to book the same cabana for our upcoming B2B in December. However if I go by the pdf it looks like I would be booking the Sorrento?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:)

Cabanas 2011-2012.pdf

Can you actually book a specific cabana? Everything I've ever heard says it's the luck of the draw ...
I was about to say the same thing. At one time I know the only choice was "family" or "regular" but maybe that has changed?

We were able to specifically request a cabana, with second and third choices, for an upcoming Eurodam cruise. We got our second choice, in writing, even tho we booked it 10 months in advance.

Used a Retreat Cabana on N. Amsterdam in 12/2011. I believe the map is slightly off- the Palma cabana is actually next to Cote d'Azur, and the stairs are next to that, and Sorrento.

However, it doesn't matter much, as long as you get one looking over the pool. They are more desirable.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We were able to specifically request a cabana, with second and third choices, for an upcoming Eurodam cruise. We got our second choice, in writing, even tho we booked it 10 months in advance.

Used a Retreat Cabana on N. Amsterdam in 12/2011. I believe the map is slightly off- the Palma cabana is actually next to Cote d'Azur, and the stairs are next to that, and Sorrento.

However, it doesn't matter much, as long as you get one looking over the pool. They are more desirable.

Why would looking over the pool be more desirable? I had screaming kids at the pool on my cruise.

Edited by lorekauf

Why would looking over the pool be more desirable? I had screaming kids at the pool on my cruise.

Because on warm weather cruises, like the one we did on N. Amsterdam and had a cabana, the airflow thru the cabana is frequently needed. The side facing cabanas have poor airflow. We were on a B2B. The first week was in a side facing, the second in a rear or pool facing.

I had Portofino on the NA cruise ending March 24th. It overlooks the pool and has 2 cabanas on the port side of it and no cabana directly next to it on the starboard side. The map does not match the layout.

I was able to request it when I called Seattle.

I have a retreat cabana reserved on the Eurodam in November 2013 and after seeing this thread I just called ship services and was told that specific cabana assignments were made on the ship. I was told to go to the front desk once we were on the ship.

Because on warm weather cruises, like the one we did on N. Amsterdam and had a cabana, the airflow thru the cabana is frequently needed. The side facing cabanas have poor airflow. We were on a B2B. The first week was in a side facing, the second in a rear or pool facing.

I had one in the Caribbean. There were two windstorms that blew thru very quickly. The people with the cabanas over the pool had lots of stuff blown over including their table. Mine was fine. Depends on the perspective. I couldn't hear the little darlings screaming from the pool in my cabana.

I have a retreat cabana reserved on the Eurodam in November 2013 and after seeing this thread I just called ship services and was told that specific cabana assignments were made on the ship. I was told to go to the front desk once we were on the ship.

I think they will be assigned by that point so I'm not sure that would help. I just don't want you to be disappointed.

Thanks for the info everyone. I should have said requesting instead of booking. That is what we did in 2011 and were able to get the cabana requested as I had a letter of confirmation from ship services that this was the cabana requested.

We loved the cabana experience so much that we hardly ever used our balcony. So this time around we are going to book an inside cabin and get the cabana for the two weeks.

I was just confused when looking at the pdf, so I am quessing that the placement is different on the Eurodam and the Niew Amsterdam. As my memory is the same as jaspermycat.

Good tip CruiserBruce, I may request a second and third choice this time. As I agree that the front facing cabanas are the best bet for air flow. However we did encounter a pretty windy day on our last cruise.

We were really spoiled our last time. The cabana boys were awesome and kept the sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries coming all afternoon!

Thanks again for the info....Patricia

• 4 months later...

hello,

What was your first , second and third choice please.

I'm looking for an Ocean view cabana..

hello,

See my replies on your other post. We requested Lido Pool facing cabanas for the reasons stated in the 6th post above. As the requesting process was done about 10 months ago, I don't recall exactly what I requested, but it would have been for rear facing cabanas in the middle of the Retreat area.

The ability to specifically request and get a cabana assignment confirmed in writing in advance is only available on the Eurodam. This is at the discretion of the Beverage Manager, who runs the cabanas. Only the Eurodam Bev Manager is currently doing it. I specifically thanked him for this aspect on our just ended cruise.

On N. Amsterdam and Noordam, you can request, but you won't know until you are on board what cabana is assigned.

hello,

You can see the ocean from every cabana, but I'm getting the impression that you would like a side facing cabana with the high plexi-glass railing.

See my replies on your other post. We requested Lido Pool facing cabanas for the reasons stated in the 6th post above. As the requesting process was done about 10 months ago, I don't recall exactly what I requested, but it would have been for rear facing cabanas in the middle of the Retreat area.

The ability to specifically request and get a cabana assignment confirmed in writing in advance is only available on the Eurodam. This is at the discretion of the Beverage Manager, who runs the cabanas. Only the Eurodam Bev Manager is currently doing it. I specifically thanked him for this aspect on our just ended cruise.

On N. Amsterdam and Noordam, you can request, but you won't know until you are on board what cabana is assigned.

Min was just confirmed on NA but it is a family cabana so i am not sure.

• 3 years later...

I am confused. If you book a Lido Cabana, is there a lounge chair outside for your use, or do you need to book retreat for that? Also, how do you book in advance for the whole cruise? Do you pay in advance or does it go on your ship account? Thanks for your help, Princess cruiser new to HAL!

I am confused. If you book a Lido Cabana, is there a lounge chair outside for your use, or do you need to book retreat for that? Also, how do you book in advance for the whole cruise? Do you pay in advance or does it go on your ship account? Thanks for your help, Princess cruiser new to HAL!

There is no specific pool lounger for your use if you book a Lido Cabana. Retreat Cabanas share the available loungers.

Edited by Crew News

You book and pay in advance by calling Ship's Services...800-541-1576.

• 1 month later...
My dh and I are traveling with my parents. Can we share the cabana? For example, if dh and I are not in the cabana can my parents use it. Can we invite them in the cabana when we are there?

If you have a family cabana, that is one for four adults, you can share.

But no, you can't sub-let when you're not there.

My dh and I are traveling with my parents. Can we share the cabana? For example, if dh and I are not in the cabana can my parents use it. Can we invite them in the cabana when we are there?

The Retreat area is reserved for those who have rented those Cabanas. As someone who has rented one, I would not be happy if others are in there (although I don't know how I'd know if you "belonged" in there or not unless there were 4 people constantly in a 2-people cabana). If the loungers in the common area were being used by guests, then those who paid may not get to use what they paid for.

It is easier to "share" your space in a Lido cabana because you're in a public area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have a family cabana, that is one for four adults, you can share.

But no, you can't sub-let when you're not there.

We had a Lido cabana on the NA a few years ago and did not plan to use it on the last day of the cruise. Our cabana attendant said we could let friends use it for that day, which we did. It may be like a lot of rules on HAL ships----they vary from ship to ship and from staff member to staff member.