Elete class

seabreeze78

The cynic in me says that any change will be made with an eye on the bottom line. The simple fact is that the current program is just costing X too much money and is having a negative impact on the bottomline. Raising the criteria for the levels will slow down the number of people reaching Select or Elite. I would like to believe that what you say quite correctly about the point of a loyalty program is the motivating factor, but I don't think that's true in this case. I understand that the profit margin for Celebrity is currently about 3% and that's below the industry average. Bayley has a responsibility to his stockholders toincrease profit margins. Nomatter what they may do it won't be right for those who feel shortchanged.

I really understand that Celebriy had a responsibility to its shareholders, that being said, what about all these drink packages, obc, cruise discounts for multiple bookings...don't they affect the bottom line also

They could fix that by having free unlimited wireless like [everyone else in the world] and stop charging so much for it. The internet tech would still suck, but I can't imagine it's a huge money maker for them and they'd get a ton of good karma. They could have this just in the Cafe or Library or something like that too rather than in all the rooms. Doing wireless in all the rooms is problematic.

Tom

I think it is a huge money maker for them. Consider that say 500 passengers purchase the cheapest package ($24.95 or 38 minutes), that would equal $12,475 per cruise, per ship. Times that by the number of cruises in a year (around 300 in 2013) and they make over $3.7 million on internet packages, if my math is correct. That would be a lot for any company to swallow.

There is no way to change any loyalty program that isn't going to make some people mad. One thing that X could do is to give people already enrolled in Captain's Club - 12 months to get to what ever level they are trying to attain. Any new Captain's Club members would be joining under the new program. As in at 4 pts - I'm only classic but with the cruise I have already booked I'll be at a 7, could I squeeze in an extra cruise to gain the needed 3 pts - in my case most likely not but someone might have the ability to do so. I think they should give current members a chance to get to their aspired level in a set amount of time. Would that ever be considered?

There is no way to change any loyalty program that isn't going to make some people mad. One thing that X could do is to give people already enrolled in Captain's Club - 12 months to get to what ever level they are trying to attain. Any new Captain's Club members would be joining under the new program. As in at 4 pts - I'm only classic but with the cruise I have already booked I'll be at a 7, could I squeeze in an extra cruise to gain the needed 3 pts - in my case most likely not but someone might have the ability to do so. I think they should give current members a chance to get to their aspired level in a set amount of time. Would that ever be considered?

I think that would be a fair solution. That way, those that are close to the next level, could add cruises to attain it. Who knows, Celebrity might even make a little more money, in addition to making their passengers happy.

That would be a good marketing ploy. On another thread Arno suggested that an announcement might be made in the 3rd quarter. I suggested that from my information they have already designed the program and that by delaying an announcement to the 3rd quarter they could tie it into a marketing campaign. Sell ing more cruises is the ultimate goal.

That might be so, but they would more than make up that amount, by not having to pay for the Elite benefits.

Tom

I think it is a huge money maker for them. Consider that say 500 passengers purchase the cheapest package ($24.95 or 38 minutes), that would equal $12,475 per cruise, per ship. Times that by the number of cruises in a year (around 300 in 2013) and they make over $3.7 million on internet packages, if my math is correct. That would be a lot for any company to swallow.

I really understand that Celebriy had a responsibility to its shareholders, that being said, what about all these drink packages, obc, cruise discounts for multiple bookings...don't they affect the bottom line also

I think the 123-GO packages are a strategy to get passengers used to booking at the recent much higher cruise fares. You are only able to access the 123-GO benefits if you book at the five-star rate (full price, no applied discounts).

With respect to the loyalty programme, I do take it into consideration when I book a cruise. It is not the defining factor by any means, but all things being equal, the loyalty programme will make me book with Celebrity, over, say HAL or Princess. I do appreciate the benefits that are provided through Celebrity's loyalty programme.

The truth is, though, that it is difficult for "all things to be equal" as long as other lines have more liberal smoking policies. I just love the clean air on Celebrity ships.

They could fix that by having free unlimited wireless like [everyone else in the world] and stop charging so much for it. The internet tech would still suck, but I can't imagine it's a huge money maker for them and they'd get a ton of good karma. They could have this just in the Cafe or Library or something like that too rather than in all the rooms. Doing wireless in all the rooms is problematic.

Tom

If I remember correctly, Princess used to offer unlimited internet to their Elite members - that requires 150 days at sea. The problem was that people would spend lots of hours gaming and doing other activities that took a lot of bandwith. Now, their Elites get the same thing that Platinum members (with 50 sailing days) get. It's a sliding scale based on the number of days in the sailing but on an 18 day transatlantic, DH and I got a total of 9 hours - a lot more than the 90 minutes each on X.

The only enviable benefit that Princess Elites get is unlimited free laundry. Now that's something I'd like. I do however enjoy the one bag each we get on Celebrity.

I think the 123-GO packages are a strategy to get passengers used to booking at the recent much higher cruise fares. You are only able to access the 123-GO benefits if you book at the five-star rate (full price, no applied discounts).

With respect to the loyalty programme, I do take it into consideration when I book a cruise. It is not the defining factor by any means, but all things being equal, the loyalty programme will make me book with Celebrity, over, say HAL or Princess. I do appreciate the benefits that are provided through Celebrity's loyalty programme.

The truth is, though, that it is difficult for "all things to be equal" as long as other lines have more liberal smoking policies. I just love the clean air on Celebrity ships.

Well I had the 123 package applied to a cruise I booked 5 months prior. the price didnt change,and I had gotten a good deal on that cruise and I booked a five day that in all honesty, was little more than the cost of the drink package I've gotten very generous obc in the past, as well as others have. That also has to have some affect. Like you saidm perks are nice, but I choose Celebrity due to the vibe of the ship and the no smoking is definitely a plus

That might be so, but they would more than make up that amount, by not having to pay for the Elite benefits.

Tom

They might, but I don't know if they would want to go through all the trouble to stop the elite cocktail party, which is probably their largest cost, because of all the complaining that would follow. As much as people say that they like it to meet others, I really feel that the majority just likes the free drinks. I'm sure that if they would just have an elite get togethers with a cash bar, there would be much less people that would show up.

Arno suggested that an announcement might be made in the 3rd quarter. I suggested that from my information they have already designed the program and that by delaying an announcement to the 3rd quarter they could tie it into a marketing campaign. Selling more cruises is the ultimate goal.

I believe the program will be implemented in the 3rd quarter but announced much earlier.. I really hoped it would have been announced on the President's cruise this week.

They might, but I don't know if they would want to go through all the trouble to stop the elite cocktail party, which is probably their largest cost, because of all the complaining that would follow. As much as people say that they like it to meet others, I really feel that the majority just likes the free drinks. I'm sure that if they would just have an elite get togethers with a cash bar, there would be much less people that would show up.

I agree. To mention Princess again, their Platinums and Elites enjoy a cocktail party each evening with a different specialty drink at a discounted price plus food choices that are way, way better than at Celebrity's Elite cocktail party. However, since we have to pay for drinks, there's never a problem finding a place to sit - even on a transatlantic with lots and lots of Elites on board.

I agree. To mention Princess again, their Platinums and Elites enjoy a cocktail party each evening with a different specialty drink at a discounted price plus food choices that are way, way better than at Celebrity's Elite cocktail party. However, since we have to pay for drinks, there's never a problem finding a place to sit - even on a transatlantic with lots and lots of Elites on board.

And I bet before the change, everyone said it wasn't about getting the free drinks, it was about getting together with other passengers. I'm not a big drinker, but if I want a drink, I don't have a problem paying for it.

I believe the program will be implemented in the 3rd quarter but announced much earlier.. I really hoped it would have been announced on the President's cruise this week.

I was trying to get space on SIL for the President's Cruise while on the week before. Fortunately for me, I didn't. Seems like bad weather and no announcements that we know about.

No doubt in my mind that the program is set to go.

Tom

Regent has gone to unlimited free wireless ship wide....

Tom

The only issue with that is it would become even more difficult to access the ship's wifi. On Silhouette last December there were many Captain's Club of all levels and I found it very difficult to get on the internet during the day. I ended up logging on at 4am to check emails. Trying during the day and it was down for quite a lot of the time. Unlimited access would just exacerbate it.

Phil

The only issue with that is it would become even more difficult to access the ship's wifi. On Silhouette last December there were many Captain's Club of all levels and I found it very difficult to get on the internet during the day. I ended up logging on at 4am to check emails. Trying during the day and it was down for quite a lot of the time. Unlimited access would just exacerbate it.

Phil

The new Onwaves system that is installed on the Eclipse is tremendously better and faster. So much so that I was able to watch a YouTube video! It was so good that I left the ship with about $80 remaining on my Internet account.

Hopefully they install that system fleet wide.

The cynic in me says that any change will be made with an eye on the bottom line. The simple fact is that the current program is just costing X too much money and is having a negative impact on the bottomline. Raising the criteria for the levels will slow down the number of people reaching Select or Elite. I would like to believe that what you say quite correctly about the point of a loyalty program is the motivating factor, but I don't think that's true in this case. I understand that the profit margin for Celebrity is currently about 3% and that's below the industry average. Bayley has a responsibility to his stockholders toincrease profit margins. Nomatter what they may do it won't be right for those who feel shortchanged.

You may be correct. I was wondering why you made the statement that the current loyalty program is costing too much and is having a negative impact on the bottomline. I have never really seen the cocktail party well attended and with other programs like the 123 Promo the trend may be towards all inclusive for many more people. Have you seen official report that states that the loyalty program is costing them too much money? I would think that Celebrity is getting a significant cost improvement by the fact that double credits are earned for CC and above causing many cruisers to pay more for their cruise. Also I believe that over the last few years more RCCL cruisers have tried Celebrity because of the equal status. All contributing to the bottom line.

How would you know Celebrity's bottom line? Is it reporting separate from the corporation?

I would think that Celebrity's main goal is to fill up all the news ship because of the significant investments in capital. At least that is my opinion based on their special promotions. IMO it is a great overall cruise experience with a very good value.

The loyalty program was not competitive for many years and the improvements have not been around for very many years. Honestly I achieved the current highest level just because I liked Celebrity and not because of any benefits. Although I do admit that it does make me lean towards Celebrity when I select a cruise, but I cruise other cruise lines where appropriate for me. The Captain Club program is a nice program, but it is still not as good as many of their competitor's program. I seriously doubt that Celebrity will "downgrade" the Captain Club loyalty program in an attempt to improve the bottom line because obtaining new customers is still very important to the bottom line.

We will all know which of us is correct whenever the Captain Club program is "enhanced and improved".

The Captain Club program is a nice program, but it is still not as good as many of their competitor's program.

I am truly intrigued.:confused:

Not one or two but many programs are better than Celebrity's?:eek:

I think that would be a fair solution. That way, those that are close to the next level, could add cruises to attain it. Who knows, Celebrity might even make a little more money, in addition to making their passengers happy.

When Royal Switched they had a strange convoluted method. They went from 10 points to 80. Now, if you were at 8 points, they bumped you to 67 I believe, which left you only 2 7 night cruises away from Diamond. But if you only had 7 pts I think you only went to 55 which was the new Emerald level. And you were 4 cruises away.

So basically those very close to Diamond and Diamond Plus stayed about the same distance away. those Further back were out of luck.

Of course, if Celebrity does get an equivalent to Diamond Plus I will probably go back to Royal for a while. After next month I will have 120 pts in the Royal system. I only have 5 on X, 8 after next may. I wasnt really shooting for Diamond plus at this point since Celebrity didnt have an equivalent, and i figured i would have time to start earning more X points for when they did finally change.

And I bet before the change, everyone said it wasn't about getting the free drinks, it was about getting together with other passengers. I'm not a big drinker, but if I want a drink, I don't have a problem paying for it.

Of course its about the drinks. :) when Royal knocked Diamonds out of the Concierge lounge, and they were only able to get wine, it caused a firestorm.

You may be correct. I was wondering why you made the statement that the current loyalty program is costing too much and is having a negative impact on the bottomline. I have never really seen the cocktail party well attended and with other programs like the 123 Promo the trend may be towards all inclusive for many more people. Have you seen official report that states that the loyalty program is costing them too much money? I would think that Celebrity is getting a significant cost improvement by the fact that double credits are earned for CC and above causing many cruisers to pay more for their cruise. Also I believe that over the last few years more RCCL cruisers have tried Celebrity because of the equal status. All contributing to the bottom line.

How would you know Celebrity's bottom line? Is it reporting separate from the corporation?

I would think that Celebrity's main goal is to fill up all the news ship because of the significant investments in capital. At least that is my opinion based on their special promotions. IMO it is a great overall cruise experience with a very good value.

Re

We will all know which of us is correct whenever the Captain Club program is "enhanced and improved".

RCCL is a public company and as such is required to file financial reports. These reports are available upon request or one can go to investor relations. The information concerning cost of the Loyalty Program is not public knowledge. My information comes from people on the ships who work with the numbers. Several F&B Managers told me that when vouchers were used drink sales in the MDR significantly decreased. Two separate HDs told me that the bottom line was a significant part of discussion at their Miami meetings. I was told that Bayley expressed concern about profit margins and increasing passenger load. Of course this is all word of mouth and should not be taken as gospel. If and when changes are announced my information seems to indicate that they will attempt to reduce the number of people making Elite by increasing the requirements. Look for a program closer to RCL. My information is only as good as my sources and things can always change. We'll see when we see.

Of course its about the drinks. :) when Royal knocked Diamonds out of the Concierge lounge, and they were only able to get wine, it caused a firestorm.

No, the real firestorm was when they stupidly knocked Diamonds from anything. The wine event came several months afterward. We had already canceled a B2B before they figured out how much they screwed up. It was right up there with New Coke.

I'd like to think that Celebrity will have learned from Royal's errors.

I can tell you exactly when the new programme will be implemented! Mid November 2013, how do I know? because the cruise I take on Nov 13th will make me elite (6th cruise, 69 days) and I bet it will change just before I get there lol :eek:

NCL also changed systems. They actually checked cruise histories and gave points per night sailed with double for nights for suites. Older sailings were less well documented in their computer system, so we had to email the details of an older cruise to get all the points. They apologized for the delay as they were swamped with such emails, but our credits came through in about a month. If X changes to points and if they use a similar system to NCL's to convert, you will be exactly where you belong in terms of nights sailed. Or maybe X won't change.

If Celebrity uses this system it will be a nightmare for them. Their sailing history does not distinguish between plain veranda and Concierge cabins. Both are listed as "Club Veranda Staterooms". CC & AQ have been given extra credit since they were created, so Celebrity basically has to give some extra credit for CC & AQ during the conversion process. If everyone who has ever sailed in a CC cabin has to email in copies of their gold seapass cards to get proper credit can you imaging the workload and backup at Celebrity to process them? It takes them over 2 weeks to respond to an email at the Captains Club now!!! And what about the people who have not saved all of their seapass cards?

I believe they will do what Royal did which is to simply multiply the number of credits times 7 and add some additional credit if they move the number of days up higher than 70 for Elite (to grandfather in existing Elites).

Archived