Scary situation on ryndam today

sr5242

It sounds like as parent you're not doing a very good job because YOU don't have a protocol in place to prevent you kids from wandering off AND if they do wander they should know not to leave the store or go back to the ship and check-in -- and you should have had a designated space to meet if lost.

Who's responsible when the kid drowns at the beach (you not watching/no lessons to swim)? Or get bit by a bug (no spray)? Or gets sunburned (no sunscreen)? Parent responsibility is the issue here and I'm sorry my friend you have none. I'm surprised your kids have made it to 10. Sounds like misplaced guilt to me.

I guess where I scratch me head is: Why did she allow the kid to get away from her in a foreign port? When my nieces and nephews were little and we took them to NYC the rule was simple: Stay next to me.

Exactly. If she expected the entire embarkation process be instantly halted on her command, why did she not exercise similar authority when she saw one child had left her in the port shopping area. Why did she not yank the kid who she said wanted to shop by the hand and go immediately in search of the missing one ... if seconds mattered.

I can appreciate she wanted to get this information about her son boarding the ship ahead of her before she and the other son also boarded the ship.

But to turn this into a mass pity party and excoriation of HAL personnel and now the entire cruise line for an very ambiguous delay in getting this information to her is more drama than the facts as presented warranted. IMHO.:confused:

Is there truly anyone here who thinks for one minute HAL Security Crew were not concerned about the safety and well being of all children? Really? Come on, you know better.

My guess is they knew that child was safely aboard and thought it would be fine if Mom ( or Dad - I'm not sure OP made it clear which), stressed a tiny bit about the safety of the child and would be more careful about protecting him herself in the future.

Of course, none of us were there and we don't really know all that went on but I cannot fathom HAL Security does not have a set protocol and procedure and they knew they did not need to implement it in this circumstance.

Is there truly anyone here who thinks for one minute HAL Security Crew were not concerned about the safety and well being of all children? Really? Come on, you know better.

My guess is they knew that child was safely aboard and thought it would be fine if Mom ( or Dad - I'm not sure OP made it clear which), stressed a tiny bit about the safety of the child and would be more careful about protecting him herself in the future.

Of course, none of us were there and we don't really know all that went on but I cannot fathom HAL Security does not have a set protocol and procedure and they knew they did not need to implement it in this circumstance.

Sorry Sail, I can't agree. If they did as you suggested, that is completely unforgivable and whoever decided to make the mother stress out even more should be fired immediately. How could they make such a snap judgement and such a decision in a few seconds?

What..... for standing her/him there for two or three minutes from 'His/Her' version? We aren't talking hours or even quarter hours.

We weren't there and there seems to be a few questioning exactly what went on at the gangway. We are hearing one (maybe biased/maybe not ?) side of this story and I suspect the other side could be a little different.

I am only speculating and certainly not agreeable anyone should be fired....... including not the Mom or Dad, whichever it was.

I am only speculating and certainly not agreeable anyone should be fired....... including not the Mom or Dad, whichever it was.

FIRE THE PARENTS! I think we should call CPS and have their children taken away. Would CPS be able to get a warrant based on this post information from Cruise Critic?

FIRE THE PARENTS! I think we should call CPS and have their children taken away. Would CPS be able to get a warrant based on this post information from Cruise Critic?

Good lord, if Cruise Critic was considered an accurate resource for information on people, I'm sure some on here would be at risk of being incarcerated:rolleyes:

I would hope mom or dad learned a lesson. A foreign port is no place to let the kids run where they want and do what they want. And boarding a ship without an adult is a no-no. I'm pretty sure security handled it as best that can be since the OP's story has raised serious issues of credibility.

And I am still stuck on the mother hobbling on a badly cut foot yet not putting her foot down (maybe the other good one) and insisting the they immediately board the ship so she could take care of her injury.

And I am still stuck on the mother hobbling on a badly cut foot yet not putting her foot down (maybe the other good one) and insisting the they immediately board the ship so she could take care of her injury.

She did not even mention her foot in her story on the RCCL forum, where she trashes HAL about her version of this incident. Glad its better.

One needs to hear from the security people for the full picture about this incident before any conclusions can be drawn. At least the parent could rest assured during those waiting few minutes, her child was missing in a relatively benign group of people - fellow cruise passengers in a controlled port setting.

^^^ this

I don't think HAL follows the same protocol with passengers returning to the ship as when they are leaving.

I just cruised with my mother and my sons, young-looking 10 and 14. The personnel were very careful to identify me as their mother and that I was with them when we were leaving the ship. I noticed nothing like that when we returned. There were often 2 lines and we all got separated, either making way for someone disabled, me helping my slower-moving mother etc. My kids were always within my vision but I wasn't next to them several times, and they were never asked about where I was, or which adults they were with.

I'm very sad that, if the OP's story is as s/he is telling it, neither of the two ten-year-old sons appears to have been concerned in the slightest about their parent's injured foot that was causing a lot of difficulty walking!

I'm very sad that, if the OP's story is as s/he is telling it, neither of the two ten-year-old sons appears to have been concerned in the slightest about their parent's injured foot that was causing a lot of difficulty walking!

Yes, there is that too. I have two 11year old grandsons and I can't imagine that they wouldn't be concerned about their mother and even holding on to her hands to help her walk.

I don't think HAL follows the same protocol with passengers returning to the ship as when they are leaving.

I just cruised with my mother and my sons, young-looking 10 and 14. The personnel were very careful to identify me as their mother and that I was with them when we were leaving the ship. I noticed nothing like that when we returned. There were often 2 lines and we all got separated, either making way for someone disabled, me helping my slower-moving mother etc. My kids were always within my vision but I wasn't next to them several times, and they were never asked about where I was, or which adults they were with.

Noticed you were a Sitmar cruiser. Always, we miss Stimar!

It's the same going back on Princess as on HAL ... also other cruise lines about now checking the children getting off the ship but not returning. Actually, there was a time when they didn't check when they were getting off either.

LuLu

~~~~

a

No judgement being passed--just thankful it all ended well.

But doesn't HAL have this same precaution as other lines: for a child's cruise card both his picture and the picture of his parent are embedded and shown when scanned by security--who are then responsible for verifying that the adult immediately next to the child is the one pictured. I think this is where the questions as to HAL's lapse in procedure should begin. And I certainly hope that should there not have been a long line, a ten year old child trying to board or exit the ship on his own would be told to wait there for his parents!

On the cruise I just got back from. A teenager cut in front of people and tried to get off ahead of her parents. They looked at her name and asked her where her parents were. They made her wait until they caught up and did not let her go ahead.

Just my 'unprofessional' observation but it seems as though some people expect others to be doing the caretaking for their kids in situations where it is fully in the realm of parenting IMO and then blame them when something doesn't go how they wish.

If you bring your kids on a cruise ship, it seems to me it is for you to keep them safe. JMO

The trend seems to be in life in general for people to be looking for someone else to blame for everthing that goes wrong in their life. Someones it is our own faul and we should look first at what we could have done to avoid the unpleasant circumstance.

JMO.......

It isnt alway someone else's fault. Sometimes it's our own doing.

This has been bugging me since the day the OP first posted her displeasure (to put it in my own words) with her son and HAL security....

Here on our board she lambasts the security and tells us about how upset she is...

This was posted the very same day on the RCCL board and while she does mention her concern(s) about the HAL Security and the safety of her son(s), she seems to more concerned about food, service, cleanliness (or lack thereof)....

Am I the only one scratching their heads over the 2 posts and the inconsistency??:confused::confused:

I found a great rate on HAL for this week and decided to try something new, as the food on RCCL has been so bad lately in October on the serenade I chose to skip meals rather than eat the food. But other than the bad food, I miss everything else on RCCL!

I miss dinner service that doesn't take 2 hours! I miss getting refills on ice tea, I miss being offerred condiments such as sour cream and steak sauce without having to beg multiple times. I miss servers who greet you by name! I miss the friendly and fast service in the buffet. I miss clean linens! They didn't change our sheets all week! They put dirty and stained chair covers out for formal night.

I miss servers by the pool. I miss customer service! At the costa maya port shops, I became separated from my son. I went on board and told the man at the gangway I had lost my son and needed to know if he had returned on board. They told me to step aside and had me wait almost 5 minutes while they checked in returning guests. I finally demanded they stop and check, as I was getting panicked! When I complained at the front desk, enrico told me, what was my problem? They had assisted me! I said they only assisted me after I demanded!

I miss Anthony Fernandes from the serenade! He was awesome! He was the head waiter, and any time we had a problem he jumped on it. The head waiter on HAL has never looked our way!

RCCL, I'll be back april 2014 on the independence!

The RCCL Thread is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1818369

Joanie

Am I the only one thinking back to the Clinton years of

It takes a village to raise a child?

I guess we can also blame the village for dropping the ball:rolleyes:.

NOPE!! You are not alone in thinking that!!

As soon as I read Sail's post I immediately thought of Hilary Clinton's "It takes a Village to raise a Child" comment and to think Yup, this is what is expected now by the younger generation.... I have my kids but the world needs to raise them for me:(

Joanie

NOPE!! You are not alone in thinking that!!

As soon as I read Sail's post I immediately thought of Hilary Clinton's "It takes a Village to raise a Child" comment and to think Yup, this is what is expected now by the younger generation.... I have my kids but the world needs to raise them for me:(

Joanie

Maybe she meant the village of maids, nannies , and secret service people that raised Chelsea all those years.

Archived