Scary situation on ryndam today

sr5242

Wow, what a mis-use of a quote, even if the writer was only trying to be "cute".

Never did Hillary Clinton say, that I heard or read about, that the "village" in any way released/relieved parents from their responsibility. While some families may live in such an isolated setting that only the parent(s) influence the children, few people live in such a circumstance. For most of us the "village" does help raise us be it teachers, neighbors, ministers, relatives, ship crew members, fellow passengers, etc.

This thread got political in an interesting way. And I thought Sail was an FDR Democrat.;)

You Did? You Do?

I don't think I've gotten involved in many political conversations.

It's rare for me to comment about a politician and don't express my political leanings.

I voiced an opinion about one circumstance here. ;)

Chelsea seems like a very intelligent, delightful young woman but her upbringing could hardly be classified as 'usual'. There were obvious necessities for exceptional circumstances.

No politics here ...but let's compare how the Bush twins acted while their father was in office and Chelsea?

Most HAL passengers would certainly criticize the twins' famed bad behavior on many occasions as teens , goodness if they had been on a ship...

Google Secret Service and Chelsea and the Bush twins and compare results......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No politics here ...but let's compare how the Bush twins acted while their father was in office and Chelsea?

Most HAL passengers would certainly criticize the twins' famed bad behavior on many occasions as teens , goodness if they had been on a ship...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In all fairness.......

Chelsea was very much younger during her White House years than the Bush twins. The twins were in college.

Frankly, I have little opinion about any of these young women but I do try to be fair.

While we're at it.... should we discuss the Johnson girls, the Nixon girls?

Interesting thing I hadn't thought about before.... been a while since there was a 'first family son' in the White House. Perhaps John Kennedy? Ronald Reagan had a son but he was older and didn't live in the White House that I recall.

Thank God the Secret Service and press weren't shadowing me during my college years. :eek: It wouldn't have been pretty...but it was fun. :D

When I entered the gangway, I explained (politely) that I could not find my son and needed them to check if he had checked in and was on board. The gentleman said I should move to the side and he'd check once he had checked in people entering on the gangway. I stepped aside, and after spending 2-3 minutes watching person after person come on and getting more and more frantic with worry, I asked if there was anyone else who could check. He begrudgingly finally sent me over to his "boss" who was checking people out on the other side. When he finally did check, it took maybe 30 seconds to tell me, thank goodness yes my son was on board.

I'm sorry, but I really feel that if it only took 30 seconds, the first man should have just said to the oncoming guests, "one moment please."

I can only imagine how worried you must have been.

That said, YOU could have asked your fellow passengers to wait "one moment please", while gangway security checked their laptops for your son. Surely the passengers would have obliged you.

Do you have any idea how many people come back to the ship and ask gangway security if their husband, wife, sister, brother, son, daughter, grandchild, auntie, uncle, friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, mother or father are on the ship ?

Waiting 2-3 minutes while security is clearing a busy gangway before they're able to answer your question sounds reasonable to me. I'm sure you will agree that had the gangway been empty, security would have helped you immediately.

Let's keep our eye on the ball and focus on the good outcome of your situation.

Complete foul-up on HAL's part. HAL should not have allowed a 10-year-old boy to board on his own.

How do you know he boarded on his own ? If he's on the gangway with other people all returning to the ship, security is not going to ask everyone what their relationship is to the child.

How do you know he boarded on his own ? If he's on the gangway with other people all returning to the ship, security is not going to ask everyone what their relationship is to the child.

They do on their way off the ship; why not when passengers are returning?

Isn't it different to take a child (with an ID) aboard the ship than to permit him/her off? At least if the kid is aboard, there are loads of people around to hear a yell for help or a skrimish? Security has to be more vigilant, IMO, about a child leaving the far more safer environ of the ship than down the gangway and off to anywhere.

Yes, anything bad can happen to a child on a ship but there is far higher likelihood of help being readily available and that plea cry, scream plea from the child being heard and acted upon.

I still suspect it highly possible the staff knew the boy had returned (it could only have been a few minutes since so they would be able to remember ---- they are security people and trained to 'remember'----- I believe they knew the kid was safe and that Mom had lost track of her child.

Don't all of the OP's story has been told consistently and perhaps not entirely completely?

They do on their way off the ship; why not when passengers are returning?

Because a child leaving the ship unaccompanied by an adult could present a serious problem. Security is wise to guard the gate.

If the child is returning, that's good, they are now safely on board. What would be the point of quizzing anyone ?

Boy do some people need a cruise and badly. One silly reply to a post and everyone is all up in arms.

Anyone who has ever had a child , knows they can wander off or get separated in the blink of an eye. Even for 2 seconds it is scary as hell until you find them.

Having 4 kids , Yes I have had a couple moments. At that second , you aren't thinking "oh they must have just gotten on board themselves", or "oh he must have gone over to the toy department , I'll walk over and get him" .....you panic.

29 years as a 9-1-1 dispatcher I don't mess around with a parent (especially when it's a mother) when they report achild missing.

You're missing husband will be home when the bars close , funny we don't get a lot of guys reporting their wives missing :). but when it's a child seconds count

Traveling with my twin 10 yr old sons and elderly parents. Today at maya chan in costa maya I cut my foot badly and was having trouble walking back to the ship. While walking through the shopping area one of my sons wanted to look in a shop and while hobbling after him lost my other son in the crowd. With difficulty walking, I did a few laps around the stores but could not find him. I decided to go to the ship and see if he had checked himself back into the ship thinking we were there. When I entered the gangway, I explained (politely) that I could not find my son and needed them to check if he had checked in and was on board. The gentleman said I should move to the side and he'd check once he had checked in people entering on the gangway. I stepped aside, and after spending 2-3 minutes watching person after person come on and getting more and more frantic with worry, I asked if there was anyone else who could check. He begrudgingly finally sent me over to his "boss" who was checking people out on the other side. When he finally did check, it took maybe 30 seconds to tell me, thank goodness yes my son was on board.

I'm sorry, but I really feel that if it only took 30 seconds, the first man should have just said to the oncoming guests, "one moment please." Anyone with children will tell you that not knowing your child's welfare for even a few minutes is excruciating.

When I informed the front desk of this delay in assisting me in finding a lost child, the guest relations officer Enrique stated "what is the problem? You were assisted and you found him." I explained to him that when a child is missing, that should be an immediate priority. Not waiting until they check in everyone getting on. In a mall when a child is missing, they shut everything down and lock the doors. All I wanted was for the man to take 30 seconds and see if he was on board. I wasn't reporting a lost wallet, I was reporting a lost child.

You can flame me all you want, but all I'm trying to get at is that perhaps they need to look at their procedures and tweak how they respond to a lost child emergency. Asking people to wait 30 seconds to board would have really helped the situation, especially if heaven forbid he wasn't on board. Imagine what could have happened in the time I was waiting for them to check.

You are preaching to the choir here. I would suggest that you write to HAL and explain how unacceptable this is.

Archived