Alaskan Cruise - formal nights - dressy or more casual????

grumpyfan

Our first time on an Alaskan cruise and I'm not sure how to pack for "dining" times for our Princess sailing....

We are usually on caribbean cruises and formal nights are pretty dressy - but have read posts here and there that Alaskan cruise formal nights are not that dressy as most folks are bringing warm clothes in suitcases and cutting back on dressy clothes....

Please tell me your experience......

Our first time on an Alaskan cruise and I'm not sure how to pack for "dining" times for our Princess sailing....

We are usually on caribbean cruises and formal nights are pretty dressy - but have read posts here and there that Alaskan cruise formal nights are not that dressy as most folks are bringing warm clothes in suitcases and cutting back on dressy clothes....

Please tell me your experience......

Alaska is a little more casual because it's port intensive cruise. saying that formal nights can be just as formal as the Caribbean.

We found Alaska formal nights more casual. DH took his tux and wore it just once; the other night he wore a dress shirt and a tie (no jacket). I think we were viewing one of the glaciers that night and we ate a quick dinner and left.

The thing about Alaska is that there are a few days when you stay late in port or are at the glaciers around the dinner hour, and it does give a different feeling to the evenings. People still made an effort, but it was definitely less dressy than Caribbean cruises.

I don't know how people do it .. I wouldn't mind dressing for dinner but we have 6 nights before the cruise & 3 nights after & we're doing a land tour on our own .. How do people pack everything?! I feel like I need to bring everything I own, except the heaviest winter coats! I'll need to find room for dress shoes too?! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a picture taken on formal night outside one of the dining rooms during an Alaska cruise on Princess. You can tell how the people are dressed.

980911680912WaitingtoenterProvenceDRonformalnightDSC01219_zpsa899c03a.jpg

On our cruise last June on the Sapphire, that is exactly how folks dressed. We even saw people turned away at the Crown Grille. They were dressed fine in my book, but the Maitre De wanted long sleeved shirts for the guys. One did have on a very nice collared shirt but it was short sleeves. The sad part was there were not too many of us in the CG that evening.:confused:

Archived