which ships have glass blowing shiws

atlantic cruiser

Not on the Silhouette either- but not a fan- we saw it once on the solstice . First, it is outdoors and very hot and sunny. You sit on uncomfortable wooden stadium type benches, without backs the entire length of the show. They do have evening performances, but the heat can be oppressive even without the sun. The show is about 1 1/2 hours-

The first time we saw it- my DH and I left in the middle as my back was annoying me. didn't bother seeing the show on the other ships

Would be a better idea for celebrity to

create more comfortable seating environment with backs- and perhaps enclose the seating area in a glass tinted dome with A/C. The show should also be 45 minutes.

The food at the Lawn Grill IMO is the best of all of the specialty restaurants and is a great addition to the Reflection and Silhouette.

This is just my opinion and perhaps others have other views. Enjoy your cruise.

When we were on the Solstice last fall the glass blowers each took turns making a piece. Those who didn't want to stay for the full show could easily leave partway through (many people would leave after seeing 1 or 2 of the blowers). So while the show may be longer compared to other forms of entertainment offered onboard, one can easily watch just 1 or 2 of the blowers if they choose.

We didn't have any issues with the hard benches - they had thick flannel blankets laid out that people would sit on. Using a pool towel is another option.

I don't think that was the issue....there is a waiting list of glass blowers who want to join this program. I believe the decision was celebrity's and it was made to increase revenue on the newer ships, just like the cabanas, etc.

I'm sure all the staff at Corning would like to work on a cruise ship but I doubt the Company would let them all go! Some of them have to stay home and hold down the fort:D

I thought that the glass blowing was boring.

It is not for everyone, but on the 25 days I spent on Equinox every show was standing room only. Personally I loved the shows and they were a highlight of my time on Equinox.

I'm sure all the staff at Corning would like to work on a cruise ship but I doubt the Company would let them all go! Some of them have to stay home and hold down the fort:D

Not all of them work at Corning. When we saw them one of the guys had his own shop. They have to "audition" and submit work to Corning to qualify to work on the ships. We spent a lot of time talking to the guys as my DH went to the same college as one of them so they hit it off.

It was hot but not terrible considering it was July. I usually stopped and got a drink to take to the show to keep cool.

I know it's not for everybody but we loved it.

It is not for everyone, but on the 25 days I spent on Equinox every show was standing room only. Personally I loved the shows and they were a highlight of my time on Equinox.

We love the Hot Glass Show as well Gonzo, and are looking forward to enjoying the work of the outstanding Corning artisans, when we sail on Eclipse next month.

We love the Hot Glass Show as well Gonzo, and are looking forward to enjoying the work of the outstanding Corning artisans, when we sail on Eclipse next month.

I wish that was on a ship I'm travelling on soon! I might have to consider this for my next booking

Andy

Has Celebrity ever thought of revamping the venue? Many who sail on Celebrity are "over 50" and the wooden bench seating, without backs does not make sense. I bet that this would make the show more enjoyable

Thanks

Like others have said...Wonderful shows...but then, some enjoy some don't. I have tried to attend every show when I am onboard at the time they happen...however, at the same time the other members of my travelling group have never seemed interested enough to make an effort to attend...

I especially enjoy the shows when they either bring a group of kids from the Kids Club, or when there are just a lot of children watching...they ask the greatest questions, and seem the most awed by the artisans !

BTW...for those in the Chicago area...or those interested in doing the job...:D (from the CMOG website):

Glassblowers Needed: Blow Glass at Sea

Auditions will be held at the Navy Pier in Chicago on Tuesday October 29 and Thursday October 31, prior to SOFA Chicago.

Enjoy

Woody

Archived