Oceania Take Note - HAL is better

PaulMCO

Ok now that I got your attention... :)

We are on the HAL Zuiderdam and of course not nearly as good as Oceania

But there is one thing definitely better -- the INTERNET

First the cost -- Unlimited package for 99.00 on a 10 day cruise. That is less that $10 a day.

OK now -- you would expect the speed to be slow. HAL says "faster speeds than ever before." True -- I have been running speed tests in the background and have been averaging 1.5mps up and .6 down. This is almost as good as a entry level ADSL line.

Have to give HAL credit here and think Oceania should take the hink -- since thet use the same service provider MTN..

While I would agree that that would be the only advantage of HAL, it certainly is something that should be addressed. The cost on Oceania for Internet access is still high, and the service is really, really, really lousy. Unfortunately I had to have access on our most recent cruise (to work on a customer's project), and I was all but unable to do it at all. Ultimately, though I had paid over $240 for access for ten days, I had to go ashore and use an Internet cafe to do any work. If HAL can do it, then so can Oceania.

It really isn't the cost that was the bother, though a lower cost would be nice of course, but the quality of the service was really dreadful. Even accessing webmail, though Verizon's site is terribly data intensive, was close to impossible.

Whether Hal is better than O or vice versa is not the issue here. Clearly HAL is superior when it comes to internet speed and pricing. And O, which is supposedly a higher level cruise line should be better than HAL at something so basic to the needs of most passengers today.

Got my attention? Sure did.

I am a HAL regular who is scheduled to sail Riviera in November. I know the HAL product.

This Internet system is an upgrade that is only available on the Zuiderdam right now. So, be happy with what you got, but be aware it is not the norm.

You got lucky---at least as far as Internet goes.

Have a great cruise.

Got my attention? Sure did.

I am a HAL regular who is scheduled to sail Riviera in November. I know the HAL product.

This Internet system is an upgrade that is only available on the Zuiderdam right now. So, be happy with what you got, but be aware it is not the norm.

You got lucky---at least as far as Internet goes.

Have a great cruise.

Don't worry Ruth you will enjoy Riviera!!

I am a wiseguy -- but this/Internet has been sore point for "O" for a while.

I know it is new -- but my guess is either HAL is testing the marketing idea or the technical concept of unlimited people on the internet to see how the bandwidth holds up. It is not a one cruise deal and yes the Zuidy is the only ship with the new MTN equipment.

However the concept is great and the data rates have been great all day 1.5 to 1.7 mps down.

Don't worry Ruth you will enjoy Riviera!!

Oh, not at all worried! I am certain that I will love the Riviera. I'm looking forward to it.

I have taken note, though, at the high cost of staying connected on Oceania. Even the normal HAL rates are significantly lower than I will find on Riviera.

But what's a girl to do? She pays the going rate if she wants to reach out and touch.

We returned from the Nautica Capetown to Singapore cruise in February and found the internet on this cruise much improved, even on the Indian Ocean. We even were able to manage a 3-way Skype while at sea. Will definitely take another internet package on upcoming cruises, especially as we got a discount on it being silver members.

As to the "scooter people", hey, more power to them! They are out and around, enjoying life as best they can. Give them credit for their adventurous spirits, and admire them. We may all be scooter/wheelchair people eventually. Otherwise, go take a Disney cruise where you'll be with the young crowd.

Why do people worry about the !@% internet connection, or their cell phone, or their Blackberry Tablet Pad Kindle wireless cloud carrier thang, while on vacation?

You are on vacation, loosen up people. Sit in the sun, jump in the pool, have a Pina Colada, take an excursion to a Flamingo sanctuary.

When I cruise I am not on "vacation". I'm retired, and retired people don't get vacations, weekends, or holidays (except maybe Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years).

Life is tough when you're retired. :D

But I do have friends back home, and I like to connect with them, share my cruise with them, while I'm away. The Internet is one way to do this. And it gives me great pleasure to do so.

So, hang the cost, I will continue to use the Internet while at sea.

Which brings us back to the topic at hand, i.e.: If HAL can get increased internet speed from the same provider used by O, then why can't O? Make it fast and people will pay for the convenience.

I've seen lots of posts from people who are high management, or maybe it's their own company, but for whatever reason they DO need to stay in touch.

I like to stay in touch with email just to be in touch. I turn off my message boards, of course, but want to be available in case someone needs me. It isn't so urgent for us now that my Mom is gone, as is my husband's older brother. But still, many people do need to be reachable, even if by email.

If my sick elderly cat has a problem, I want to know about it!

That doesn't mean that people who need to stay in touch (or want to stay in touch) are manic or obsessive.

When my husband was working and traveling in Europe, he frequently got requests to visit an office in a place we were going to be. I learned to go on my own in those cases. It wasn't a problem for me.

Mura

When I cruise I am not on "vacation". I'm retired, and retired people don't get vacations, weekends, or holidays (except maybe Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years).

Life is tough when you're retired. :D

But I do have friends back home, and I like to connect with them, share my cruise with them, while I'm away. The Internet is one way to do this. And it gives me great pleasure to do so.

So, hang the cost, I will continue to use the Internet while at sea.

Hi Ruth,

Many of the people that I have observed using their myraid of wireless gadgets are trying to impress others with their own self importance (Not you of course!)...... They jabber loudly at inoportune times, in movies, at restaurants, even I've heard at church! The worst one day was in a bathroom stall! Unbelieveable!

Their rudeness and loud behavior is a sore spot for me & many others who are still back in the 20th century before the advent of these phones & things. And believe it or not, there are still some of us around! I only have a computer. Not a traveling lap-top either. No wireless phone, no Blueberry Tablet.... I could care less about staying in touch, I grew up (and so did you) without a phone jammed into my ear 24-7. When I travel, I want to enjoy a new experience, not listen to Aunt Martha back home whine about her arthritis!

It is so sad to see a family at dinner, the kids all playing some stupid computer game or whatever they are doing, the adults yacking loudly into a cell phone. This is the crime of the new world.

So all you people out there, have some consideration for those of us don't want to listen to your life. Talk to us face to face!

I'm spewing!

I'll chime in on this Internet discussion, current using my netbook at breakfast in the Terrace Cafe, onboard the Riviera.

I shall not comment on the discussion of whether one needs it or not. Many of us do...and simply, that's that.:p

I have the unlimited package and have had no complaints this entire week about strength, coverage or speed. For a few hours over the voyage, MTN was down for maintenance, but that never caused a problem.

We fully recognize the limitations of satellite net and never abuse the process.

It has worked well for us this trip.

Archived