Ultimate Specialty Dining Package Review

miataman19

I just called Celebrity for the third time buying stuff or making arrangements for our upcoming New Year's cruise. Each and every time I called I asked about purchasing the ultimate dining package in advance. The reply has always been the same - the ultimate dining package can ONLY be purchased aboard the ship and only on the first day.

As many of us know Celebrity can be inconsistent at times with their replies to inquiries but not in this case. So buy it aboard like we're planning to do and enjoy that next cruise.

:)

I just called Celebrity for the third time buying stuff or making arrangements for our upcoming New Year's cruise. Each and every time I called I asked about purchasing the ultimate dining package in advance. The reply has always been the same - the ultimate dining package can ONLY be purchased aboard the ship and only on the first day.

As many of us know Celebrity can be inconsistent at times with their replies to inquiries but not in this case. So buy it aboard like we're planning to do and enjoy that next cruise.

:)

I don't get it, does Celebrity limit the number of ultimate packages sold? I just got on this thread why is that other CCer being so cagey about how it's bought ahead of time?

I now usually buy my specialty dining the first day and spa treatments too. They are usually dealing then. I also don't like that they make you pay ahead of time. They are holding your money. I have never not been able to get a reservation doing it that way, but I've never done the ultimate.;)

I don't get it, does Celebrity limit the number of ultimate packages sold? I just got on this thread why is that other CCer being so cagey about how it's bought ahead of time?

I am interested in buying the ultimate dining package for the sake of convenience. I can tell you from looking at many threads on this topic that the ultimate dining package is popular and that there is a lot of interest in buying it before boarding.

Personally I don't know if Celebrity limits the number of ultimate dining packages sold or not. However, I would much rather make all of this type of arrangement prior to boarding. Once I get aboard ship all I want to do is kick back and relax.

This is just my $0.02 worth.

;):D;)

I am interested in buying the ultimate dining package for the sake of convenience. I can tell you from looking at many threads on this topic that the ultimate dining package is popular and that there is a lot of interest in buying it before boarding.

Personally I don't know if Celebrity limits the number of ultimate dining packages sold or not. However, I would much rather make all of this type of arrangement prior to boarding. Once I get aboard ship all I want to do is kick back and relax.

This is just my $0.02 worth.

;):D;)

While only a guess, I would suspect the number of Ultimate Dining Packages sold on a given sailing is determined by how many people have in advance booked (and prepaid) single night and 3 and 5 night packages. If they've sold a lot of those on this week's cruise, then the number of Ultimate packages available is going to be few. Might be the complete opposite on next week's voyage when advance bookings are light, hence more space available to offer as Ultimate packages on embarkation day.

Just a hunch......

On some sailings, such as New Years Eve, you cannot even book the 3 and 5 night specialty packages pre cruise. New Years Eve and New Years Day individual specialty dining bookings are usually closed several months before the cruise sails. I'm sure it is the same for Christmas bookings.

MEY lOU

On some sailings, such as New Years Eve, you cannot even book the 3 and 5 night specialty packages pre cruise. New Years Eve and New Years Day individual specialty dining bookings are usually closed several months before the cruise sails. I'm sure it is the same for Christmas bookings.

MEY lOU

I am not sure about packages but I know that people believe that you cannot pre-book specialty dining on holiday cruises. This is not true. It is just that the slots they allow for pre-cruise reservations [for any cruise] are limited and these sell very early for holiday cruises. We easily booked specialty dining on every night of our New Year cruise but this was well over a year before the cruise.

Sue

Just found this thread from several months ago and wondered if Mickey89 was now willing to answer the question as to how he was able to purchase the Ultimate Dining Package 2 months in advance??? Everything I have seen specifically states on board purchase only.

Totally agree you are unable to purchase the package on-line prior to boarding and even if you contact Celebrity their response is the Package is only available to purchase on Day 1 aboard. I have had the package three times now, the last being aboard the Reflection only last month.

What I do is to pre-book all my reservations on-line for every night of the cruise and pay upfront via a credit card. This way I am assured to get my preferred dining times of 7.30-8.00 and avoid unnecessary anxiety.

When aboard I upgrade to the Ultimate Package and get the cost difference refunded back to my seapass account. In the extremely unlikely event that the package is unavailable, I still retain the option of a full refund.

The only concern that I had was 'what if I had unspent obc at the end of the cruise would I lose any of the benefit'. On my last cruise I had over $500 obc remaining on the last day and requested and received the full balance as cash. I would accept it is not purchasing the Ultimate package prior to boarding but in essence it is !

I am not sure about packages but I know that people believe that you cannot pre-book specialty dining on holiday cruises. This is not true. It is just that the slots they allow for pre-cruise reservations [for any cruise] are limited and these sell very early for holiday cruises. We easily booked specialty dining on every night of our New Year cruise but this was well over a year before the cruise.

Sue

It appears to be just the 3 & 5 night packages. If you book special days such as New Years Eve well in advance of the sailing you can book online. If you wait too long bookings for those special days will be closed. We missed it last year but booked early enough to get Muranos on New Years Eve this year. Bookings on line are now closed for 12/31 & 1/1.

Mary Lou

• 2 weeks later...

The only concern that I had was 'what if I had unspent obc at the end of the cruise would I lose any of the benefit'. On my last cruise I had over $500 obc remaining on the last day and requested and received the full balance as cash. I would accept it is not purchasing the Ultimate package prior to boarding but in essence it is !

Do you know if your OBC was the refundable or non-refundable variety? I will have $450 OBC on my upcoming 7 night cruise in February and the UDP is an interesting way of using it. My concern is that if I do as you suggested, book in advance and then get refunded, I'm going to end up with an credit balance on day one, and my OBC (which won't be posted until a day or two into the cruise) will be untouched.

Also, do you pay a 15% tip on top of the $29/day price? Do you still have to auto-tip the normal wait staff, which you won't be using? Since I've read that Celebrity can either have you at a MDR seating, or in select, but not in a "not dining in the MDR" category, it seems like they'd need to move you to Select (with automatic tipping) in order to drop your MDR table.

Also, do you pay a 15% tip on top of the $29/day price?

No. The service charge is included in the price.

Do you still have to auto-tip the normal wait staff, which you won't be using?

Let me just state that we didn't get a refund. So, I'd say yes.

Okay everyone, I'll do my best to give you the info on the package. Just got off Reflection. In a nutshell, you pay $29 per person per day. This gets you unlimited dinners at any specialty restaurant. We chose 2 at Murano, 2 at Qsine, 2 at Tuscan Grill and 1 at Lawn Club Grill. You can mix that up to any number of times at any restaurant. If you want to eat all 7 nights at Murano you can. You also get unlimited breakfast, lunch or dinner at Bistro on 5 and The Porch (The Porch was great, more later,) access to the Champagne High Tea in Murano, and lunch on the final sea day in either Murano or Tuscan Grill (sorry didn't get a pic of those menus.) We chose Murano for the lunch. Here is the kicker, you can only get this package on the ship on the first day. When we got onboard at around 11:45 a.m., I went straight to Murano to make my reservations. That's the other kicker, no pre-cruise reservations for this package. With that said, we had a FULL ship during spring break, yet I was able to get EVERY reservation time I wanted on every day. I do have to say I was a little stressed about getting the times I wanted, but making a beeline for Murano helped! Staight from Murano for reservations, we went up to The Porch to get some lunch ($5 cover without our package,) There were 2 other tables and us. No crazy mob scene like at Ocean View. The Porch has a great panini menu (breakfast and lunch paninis,) as well as some great salads. They also offer a nice wine list and regular beverages (we had the premium alcohol package.) Dinner that night was at Tuscan Grill. A table for 2 by the window for sunset: Awesome. Service from Sasha was perfect (she also serves at The Porch during lunch). Start to finish the food was great, only issue I had was the Rib eye was very thin, the pic you see of the rib eye on Celebrity's website is not accurate. Day 2 breakfast/lunch at Bistro on 5, a crepe restaurant. They have a nice selection of salads, beverages and wine. Service and food were great from start to finish. Oh, BTW, it was just us initially, then 1 other table the entire time we were in the restaurant. I guess that $5 cover charge was too much for some folks...LOL. Dinner at Murano (formal night). Don't know what else to say except INCREDIBLE!!! Imagine the best 5 star restaurant you've eaten at. This is Murano, I'll say the best restaurant at sea, bar none. Did not get any of the waiters names because it seemed like the entire staff was taking care of every table--just fantastic! We ate breakfast and lunch at The Porch and Bistro on 5 the entire cruise, except for debarkation day. Then we ate at The Oceanview Cafe, which had a very nice selection and presentation for that last day. The Lawn Club Grill is basically what it says: a grill. Good selection of meat and fish which you can pick out yourself and cook if you wish. I chose not to! The flatbread pizzas are very good. They have a salad bar which has limited offerings but is fresh and well maintained. The steaks here are a nice size, I got a Filet (cooked perfectly) and a side of Red Snapper (very moist and tender). Service from Oscar was perfect (Oscar also works lunch at The Porch). Qsine the following night. This place is a nice change from any restaurant where I've eaten. The food is very good, however the dining experience within Qsine focuses on the presentation-- ESPECIALLY if you have Arthur as your waiter. :D He made the entire evening fun and enjoyable. Becasue we were Concierge Class, we were not allowed to eat in Blu :mad:...LOL . I was told by some folks it was good, but always crowded and noise level was very high. Sort of like General Mess as you Navy folks mentioned! I'll leave the ship review to someone else. All in all a fantastic cruise for a Foodie and Winey like me! Any questions on the package just give a shout back and I'll try to answer them in a timely manner. As they say in Murano while lifting the cover to reveal your entree...VOILA!!!..Bon Appetit! :)

Thanks for the information. We will be sailing on the Silhouette in a few weeks and will reserve this package. We also truly enjoyed the speciality restaurants- our favorite was the lawn grill- we also will not make our own food- but like the grilled offerings, salad and pizza bread! All the other speciality restaurants were also great! We also like the porch and the Bistro on Five for lunch! When I was on the Reflection, you could also reserve this packages at any kiosk by the buffet area.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Do you know if your OBC was the refundable or non-refundable variety? I will have $450 OBC on my upcoming 7 night cruise in February and the UDP is an interesting way of using it. My concern is that if I do as you suggested, book in advance and then get refunded, I'm going to end up with an credit balance on day one, and my OBC (which won't be posted until a day or two into the cruise) will be untouched.

Also, do you pay a 15% tip on top of the $29/day price? Do you still have to auto-tip the normal wait staff, which you won't be using? Since I've read that Celebrity can either have you at a MDR seating, or in select, but not in a "not dining in the MDR" category, it seems like they'd need to move you to Select (with automatic tipping) in order to drop your MDR table.

Non-efundable OBC is always used first, before any refundable OBC. Even if your OBC does not show up on your account until day two or three, they system knowns that you have it. So, you should be OK.

We have not eaten in the MDR since 2009 but still pre-pay our gratuities. You have to remember that the staff working in the MDR at dinner are also in other places, serving you, at other times of the day. When you purchase speciality dining, in includes an element for gratuities and so, I assume, does the Specialty Dining Package. However, we always add an additional gratuity, as do many people.

Su

You will not have a problem the refunded credit from your on-line booking will be refund which ever way you wish. The Ultimate Package will be paid by using your OBC what ever it is, refundable or otherwise.

The $29 pp/pd is fully inclusive of gratuities. You will be unable to redirect your pre-paid gratuities to the Speciality team, but if your gratunitiess are added at the $12 pp/day then you will be able to adjust to suit your requirements.

Edited by mickey89

Can anyone confirm that this is available on shorter cruises? We have a 4-day coming up and are very interested.

Thanks

Look at Post #4 on this thread - you can download the Celebrity Flier that details the Terms & Conditions of their offer