Alaska-To depart from Seattle or Vancouver?

nwalewski

My husband and I are hoping to go to Alaska in May/June 2014. We need to decide where to depart from. If we leave from Seattle, what scenery would be missed from Vancouver to Prince Rupert? Is that channel worth it? Is Vancouver the better choice of cities to tour than Seattle? We are from New York City and, therefore, not experienced with cities on the West Coast. Any suggestions would definitely be welcomed.

Thank you - Norma

Some reading on this board would reveal that the majority of ships that sail from Seattle don't go to the east of Vancouver Island, like ships sailing from Vancouver. Sailing east of Vancouver Island is considered by many the true Inside Passage. Ships sailing from Seattle go "out to sea" more, before entering the "northern" Inside Passage.

We are cruising from Vancouver in May just to take the entire Inside Passage. As stated our last two Seattle departures took out west of Vancouver Island.

Concerning Vancouver vs. Seattle for touring--both cities are facinating and provide must to do and see.

From a budget and travel perspective Seattle will usually be less expensive and easier to travel to interment of air travel.

Cruises out of Seattle will save you some on airfare compared to Vancouver, but not a huge amount. As others mentioned, they sail west of Vancouver Island in the open Pacific, so it will be less scenic and possibly rougher.

More importantly, Seattle cruises need an additional day on each end getting "to" and "from" Alaska compared to Vancouver cruises. You will see more of Alaska on the latter.

Also consider a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage (actually Seward or Whittier).

Most Vancouver cruises sail in the late afternoon...it will get dark somewhere around Campbell River and will go past Prince Rupert in the early morning hours if the first port is Ketchitkan. That's means going through Seymour Narrows at night...I believe southbound one-way cruises go through there during daylight.

BTW, there is an Alaska forum which is more focused than this one.

:) Kenish:

I really appreciated your detailed response. Thank you for taking the time and interest to do so. Also, I am definitely going to join the Alaska Forum. Since I'm new at posting on Cruise Critic that suggestion is extremely valuable.

Norma

Cruises out of Seattle will save you some on airfare compared to Vancouver, but not a huge amount. As others mentioned, they sail west of Vancouver Island in the open Pacific, so it will be less scenic and possibly rougher.

More importantly, Seattle cruises need an additional day on each end getting "to" and "from" Alaska compared to Vancouver cruises. You will see more of Alaska on the latter.

I have to disagree with your second point about the additional day. Case in point:

We are looking at a Vancouver to Vancouver (call this cruise "A") sailing on Statendam vs a Seattle to Seattle on the Westerdam (cruise "B") a day earlier.

On the A cruise, our first port is Juneau and we arrive at 3 PM on the second day.

On the B cruise, our first port is Juneau and we arrive at 1 PM on the second day.

On cruise A, we have a full sea day on our final day (not counting disembarkation day).

On Cruise B, we are in Victoria on our final day (until midnight).

On both cruises we see Glacier Bay, Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka (or Skagway).

So, I do not see how your statement of an extra day of sailing holds up. I do not want to be "picky", but I think you are misleading the OP.

DaveOKC

I have to disagree with your second point about the additional day. On both cruises we see Glacier Bay, Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka (or Skagway).

So, I do not see how your statement of an extra day of sailing holds up. I do not want to be "picky", but I think you are misleading the OP.

DaveOKC

Your point is good and well-taken. It's a tradeoff between Victoria (on the Seattle cruise) or Tracy Arm (Vancouver). Other Seattle cruises miss Glacier Bay.

That said, although Victoria is great and not a sea day, it's not Alaska. It boils down to whether OP prefers scenery or Victoria (and either is fine). Also OP specifically asked about the Inside Passage; Seattle cruises miss it.

Another option.....Royal has (at least this year they do) at the start of the season a Vancouver to Seattle and at the end a Seattle to Vancouver. You get the inside passage on the Vancouver leg. Get Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, and don't have to go to Victoria (just my humble opinion - don't flame me). You can then see both Vancouver and Seattle if you want. We are doing the Vancouver to Seattle. Flying into Seattle and taking Amtrak up to Vancouver (still much cheaper than flying to Vancouver).

I did this from Seattle last yr and was really dissappointed. For sure do from Vancouver. Calmer seas and more scenic. Living in Seattle Victoria as a port of call was a waste of time. I'd suggest flying into Seattle spending the day then take the train into "Vancovuer. It follows the coast and is very scenic. Cost is around $35. You get the best of both worlds if you do that. I wanted the Glacier Bay experience and Tracy Arm just didn't do it. I did go early in the season so perhaps later would have been better.

Kenish:

Are you meaning that Seymour Narrows is a particularly pretty area to view? We are on the Volendam out of Vancouver RT and our first port is Juneau with a short stop for Tracy Arm tours before arriving in Juneau.

Also, is there a likelihood of rough seas in certain areas on our cruise and when would we be likely to hit them?

Regardless whether you go from Vancouver or Seattle the one area that both routes are likely to have rougher seas is at the north end of Vancouver Island as the ships need to cross open water before hitting the north coast of BC and the inside passage.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Kenish:

Are you meaning that Seymour Narrows is a particularly pretty area to view? We are on the Volendam out of Vancouver RT and our first port is Juneau with a short stop for Tracy Arm tours before arriving in Juneau.

Also, is there a likelihood of rough seas in certain areas on our cruise and when would we be likely to hit them?

Seymour narrows is very pretty, but you're likely to hit it around 11pm-1am at night

Kenish:

As mentioned, NB cruises go through the area at night. Ships have to wait for slack tide due to the very fast currents, so the exact time varies. My understanding is SB cruises go through there in the afternoon.

Seymour Narrows and former Ripple Rock are very historic, especially in Canadian history...google either; very fascinating.

Hi Norma - great choice on the Alaska Cruise - I have done that one 3 times. Once from seattle, and twice from Vancouver - my vote is for the Vancouver back to Vancouver - the view of leaving the Vancouver harbour is a wow moment ! You go under the lionsgate bridge, wondering how close you will get to the underside of the bridge - it looks pretty darn close--- you see the mountains and the grounds of UBC and some high rises. You see some pretty nice coast going up, and like another member said tho... it does get dark just after dinner time. But coming back... it a different story - you are coming back in the daylight and wow the coastal scenery is just awesome - all the little coves and islands - you just grab a deck chair, pull it up along side the railings and just sit and watch the world go by. Can't wait to hear back and see what you decide :)

How about a one-way cruise, Whittier Alaska to Vancouver, with a week of land travel first ?

I recommend that you get an Alaska cruise book so you can learn about the cruiselines, ships, itineraries, ports, activities, etc. Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor's Alaska Ports of Call. Also if you have any specific priorities, like fishing or bear viewing, you need to be very mindful of the peak periods of time for those activities. Happy planning!

Since you seem to be interested in the sights and history of the Inside Passage, I highly recommend Alaska Cruise Companion by John Upton.

A couple at our table said they were awakened in the middle of the night by a bright light shining into their cabin. It was a lighthouse in Seymour Narrows just a few hundred feet from the ship. Also the captain came to our CC Meet & Greet. He talked about Seymour Narrows. There can be 30-40 knot currents. Ships have to wait until slack tide; otherwise they won't make any headway or will lose steerage.

Yes, you will hit it later at night, but OP is talking about June( longest day) when you will get twilight until very late in the evening, so will not miss all that much of the beautiful scenery. The " lead up" to seymour is fantastic too, and you can sit outside or in the crows nest and just watch it all roll by. My vote is definitely Vancouver embarkation. Enjoy our little part of the world.

I have been on both several times. I have enjoyed them both. Because of flights, hotels and the hassle and extra cost of going to Vancouver I think Seattle is a little easier. Don;t know why even the cruise from Vancouver costs more than Seattle. Bill

Archived