Interseting Charge From Bank of America on RCCL Visa

I recently came across something that I thought might be interesting to anyone using RCCL Visa. I am not sure if this has been posted before.

We have had the RCCL Visa card for several years and use it regularly. A couple of weeks ago we made a reservation for something that was processed in Canada. Bank of America charged a International Transaction fee in addition to the purchase price. (About $30)

I contacted BOA and they said that any transaction that occurs outside the USA is assessed this fee. I questioned the BOA rep as to why a card that has International in the name and is offered by an International travel company would carry this fee.

Bottom line - this card does. Other cards offered by BOA do not as per the Rep. :confused:

Good to know if you plan to use this card in an international port.

I recently came across something that I thought might be interesting to anyone using RCCL Visa. I am not sure if this has been posted before.

We have had the RCCL Visa card for several years and use it regularly. A couple of weeks ago we made a reservation for something that was processed in Canada. Bank of America charged a International Transaction fee in addition to the purchase price. (About $30)

I contacted BOA and they said that any transaction that occurs outside the USA is assessed this fee. I questioned the BOA rep as to why a card that has International in the name and is offered by an International travel company would carry this fee.

Bottom line - this card does. Other cards offered by BOA do not as per the Rep. :confused:

Good to know if you plan to use this card in an international port.

Thanks for posting, do you think that would happen in Bermuda?

If I use an Australian Credit Card to pay for things on the RCI website it charges me in Australian Dollars because i'm Australian but they still charge an International transaction fee.

This applies to most credit cards here.

I only use my BOA RC card for RC charges. I always use my Capital One out of the US. They are one of the few that don't charge an out of country transaction or conversion fee. I believe all of BOA cards charge this.

I believe you are correct.

I only use my BOA RC card for RC charges. I always use my Capital One out of the US. They are one of the few that don't charge an out of country transaction or conversion fee. I believe all of BOA cards charge this.

We have a USAA Mastercard and we weren't charged a fee for buying something in Mexico. Whew!

BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card

Get the flexibility to book your travel whenever, however you choose.

No Foreign Transaction Fees

Same here, we always use RC Visa except when we are out of the country we use our Capital One card to avoid foreign transaction fees.

Both my credit cards (Chase United) have no International transaction fees. Not sure if BOA offer something similar but it is worth checking out if you plan on doing many International transactions.

We have a USAA Mastercard and we weren't charged a fee for buying something in Mexico. Whew!

BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card

Get the flexibility to book your travel whenever, however you choose.

No Foreign Transaction Fees

I always learn something new. Thank you.

Weird charge from your bank - thank Dodd-Frank. In the US it's one of the side effects of that bill.

Then can you explain why foreign transaction fees have been around long before Dodd-Frank?

The the OP, the word "international" is in the card name because the name of the sponsoring company includes the word "International." It is important to know and understand the terms of any credit line BEFORE you use it. Foreign transaction fees are incredibly common.

I always learn something new. Thank you.

You're very welcome. I am actually thinking about switching to it. We have a large trip planned out of the country next year, not a cruise.

Their travel card gives you 1.5 points for each dollar charged. 10,000 point bonus at signup. No foreign transaction fees. No annual fee. And the way I read it you can use the points to reduce travel costs, by deducting them from the cost of flights, hotels, cruises directly from your bill. :)

Then can you explain why foreign transaction fees have been around long before Dodd-Frank?.

Sure. Prior to dodd frank banks had a variety of ways to generate revenue that were eliminated by the law. FTF's were rarely charged by the major banks because they were viewed as unnecessary. After the law went into effect, it was one of the fees that was missed by the law and started to show up.

The RCCL Visa has a foreign transaction fee equal to 3% of your purchase according to a rep I spoke to.

Discover also has no foreign transaction fees.

Amex = 2.7% (check this yourself -- there are many types of Amex cards.)

Yes--we found several of our charges on our Alaska trip had this fee. We try to use cash whenever we can outside of the US.

Alaska is part of the US. It appears you live in Virginia - Why would you be charged a foreign transaction fee in Alaska?

Archived