Boston Public Transit Questions

harryfat1

Hi,

We will be sailing from Boston on the Carnival Glory on June 9. First time visiting Boston. We will be staying one night pre and post cruise at the Embassy Suites by the Airport - thinking of using the "T" on blue line to get to various of the sights of Boston. There will be six of us (me/wife/2 boys of 12 & 9/inlaws) on this trip. No mobility issues.

The hotel can arrange for a shuttle to take all of us to Black Falcon Terminal for $10/pp but I was wondering if public transit is a viable alternative. From what I can see from my online research, it does not seem too difficult but I would appreciate some comments from people who have done this. Here are my questions as it relates to public transit:

1 - Per the MBTA web site on their travel planner, they suggest that we start from airport terminal E (hotel shuttle can take us there in the morning of the cruise), take the silver line 1 bus and get off at "Silver Line Way Before Manulife Building" exit and then take the SL 2 bus to cruise terminal and walk a block. The same MTBA web page, this time using Google transit instructions, they suggest we transfer at the next "World Trade Center" stop instead when we switch from SL1 to SL2. Any benefits to either of the stops such as enclosures from rain/ease of transfer with luggage?

2 - One can never predict the crowd pattern but are the SL1 and SL2 typically pretty empty on Sunday mornings other than the airport/cruise crowd? Wouldn't want to stand in a full bus with luggage in tow.

3 - Coming back after the cruise, looks like we just backtrack our steps from 1 above - take SL2 and then SL1 back to airport?

4 - Looks like the best value is to get the "Charlie Cards" as they are cheaper and we can preload the fares on each card. Can you get the Charlie cards at the airport terminal? From what I have seen, looks like I can get them at the T stations from the attendants there but just wondering if we can get the Charlie cards at the terminal?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi,

We will be sailing from Boston on the Carnival Glory on June 9. First time visiting Boston. We will be staying one night pre and post cruise at the Embassy Suites by the Airport - thinking of using the "T" on blue line to get to various of the sights of Boston. There will be six of us (me/wife/2 boys of 12 & 9/inlaws) on this trip. No mobility issues.

The hotel can arrange for a shuttle to take all of us to Black Falcon Terminal for $10/pp but I was wondering if public transit is a viable alternative. From what I can see from my online research, it does not seem too difficult but I would appreciate some comments from people who have done this. Here are my questions as it relates to public transit:

1 - Per the MBTA web site on their travel planner, they suggest that we start from airport terminal E (hotel shuttle can take us there in the morning of the cruise), take the silver line 1 bus and get off at "Silver Line Way Before Manulife Building" exit and then take the SL 2 bus to cruise terminal and walk a block. The same MTBA web page, this time using Google transit instructions, they suggest we transfer at the next "World Trade Center" stop instead when we switch from SL1 to SL2. Any benefits to either of the stops such as enclosures from rain/ease of transfer with luggage? I'm not sure that transferring at Silver Line Way is a free transfer because the stop is a shelter on an open street. Going one more stop to World Trade Center definitely is a free transfer because this is a real station with escalators and elevators to make crossing over the tracks a lot easier with luggage. I used to work at World Trade and have frequently taken the Silver line to the airport with luggage.

2 - One can never predict the crowd pattern but are the SL1 and SL2 typically pretty empty on Sunday mornings other than the airport/cruise crowd? Wouldn't want to stand in a full bus with luggage in tow. The SL1 and SL2 will be deserted on a Sunday morning

3 - Coming back after the cruise, looks like we just backtrack our steps from 1 above - take SL2 and then SL1 back to airport? Yes

4 - Looks like the best value is to get the "Charlie Cards" as they are cheaper and we can preload the fares on each card. Can you get the Charlie cards at the airport terminal? From what I have seen, looks like I can get them at the T stations from the attendants there but just wondering if we can get the Charlie cards at the terminal? Don't know about getting them at the terminal - they have not been charging for the Silver Line from the airport, but I don't know if that is still going on. You should be able to get Charlie cards at the Blue Line station when you first go to use the T. I think with a regular Charlie card you can pass it along to other family members to use as long as there is money on it. Both kids might be free - at least the 9 year old, but the T has never been really picky about asking kids exact ages. Just be sure to use the handicapped/special fares gate

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've gone to the airport numbers of times from Alewife to South Station on the Red Line and then South Station to the airport on the Silver Line. Even with luggage it's easy to do. The Silver Line stops right across the street from the cruise pier entrance. Perhaps a little walking, but not much more than a shuttle or taxi drop off.

One more thought about the Silver Line at the airport. You may want to think about which terminal you get on and off at. If i remember correctly the Silver Line stops first at Terminal A, then two stops at Terminal B, one stop at Terminal C and one stop at terminal E before it heads back to South Station. So if you get on at Terminal A, you will circle through all the other terminal stops. Having the hotel shuttle drop you at Terminal E will give you the shortest ride, but you will also be the last folks getting on so the bus could be fuller. This should be fine on a Sunday morning, but it's a consideration. Going to Terminal B by American Airlines would be an alternative choice.

Talk to Embassy Suites about how their shuttle works. Coming back from Black Falcon, it may make more sense to get off at Terminal A (the first airport stop) and get the hotel shuttle there.

The Silver Line stop at Terminals A and B is pretty much in front of the terminal on the lower level and is covered. The stop at terminal C is more to the right towards terminal E and I think it's more exposed. Terminal E only has one outside area and I think that stop is more exposed as well.

When you arrive, find the Silver Line stop for your terminal and pay attention if you get the grand tour of the airport on the hotel shuttle. It's not complicated, but you have asked good questions that should help you make good decisions for sheparding your party of six around.

138East is correct about the silver line but I would add one more thing. If you go to a blue line station and plan to go the cruise port, you should have the hotel drop you off at an airport terminal. Otherwise, you need to take a bus from the blue line station to the airport and then transfer to the silver line.

The OP mentioned that the hotel shuttle would take them to Terminal E on the morning of the cruise to get the Silver Line. They are also planning to take the Blue Line to get into downtown Boston for sightseeing, which makes a lot of sense. They have done a lot of research and seem to understand the options available.

One more thought about the Silver Line at the airport. You may want to think about which terminal you get on and off at. If i remember correctly the Silver Line stops first at Terminal A, then two stops at Terminal B, one stop at Terminal C and one stop at terminal E before it heads back to South Station. So if you get on at Terminal A, you will circle through all the other terminal stops. Having the hotel shuttle drop you at Terminal E will give you the shortest ride, but you will also be the last folks getting on so the bus could be fuller. This should be fine on a Sunday morning, but it's a consideration. Going to Terminal B by American Airlines would be an alternative choice.

Talk to Embassy Suites about how their shuttle works. Coming back from Black Falcon, it may make more sense to get off at Terminal A (the first airport stop) and get the hotel shuttle there.

The Silver Line stop at Terminals A and B is pretty much in front of the terminal on the lower level and is covered. The stop at terminal C is more to the right towards terminal E and I think it's more exposed. Terminal E only has one outside area and I think that stop is more exposed as well.

When you arrive, find the Silver Line stop for your terminal and pay attention if you get the grand tour of the airport on the hotel shuttle. It's not complicated, but you have asked good questions that should help you make good decisions for sheparding your party of six around.

138east - thank you very much for all your suggestions and kind words. Being this is our first visit to Boston, I tried to do as much research as much as possible ahead of time by borrowing Boston travel guide books from public library as well as searching these web sites. Even going as far as watching Youtube to check out what the SL1 looks like and how to use the Charlie card but nothing beats the detailed info you have provided.

Few follow up thoughts based on your replies:

1 - Originally I was going to take the SL1 from terminal E as that is the least time on the bus but I will ask the hotel shuttle to drop us off at terminal A instead. That way I will ensure my kids and inlaws have a seat as we take the scenic route to see the airport.

2 - So the SL1 is on the "lower level" of the airport - is that arrival or departure? Is Logan like some airport with two tiers for arrival and departures? Probably not that important as I assume the hotel shuttle driver knows where around terminal A to drop us off to take the SL1.

3 - The Logan airport web site confuses me in that it says "Silver Line to and from the Airport - FREE Silver Line inbound to South Station has been extended" the but then it tells people to buy the Charlie ticket from the terminal machines to insert into ticket into the farebox. Now if it's free to go from airport to South Station, why do you need to buy a ticket?

4 - The MBTA web site travel planner says it's $2.50/pp on the Charlie ticket from airport to any stops on the SL1 and says same $2.50 when it tells me to transfer onto SL2. From your suggestion, we will transfer in World Trade Center Station instead and cross over to the other side and only have to pay once.

Thanks again for all your help. By doing it ourselves instead of taking the shuttle, we are looking to save around $100 taking public transit as well as having an adventure trip for my kids. Cross my fingers it won't rain buckets that day...

138East is correct about the silver line but I would add one more thing. If you go to a blue line station and plan to go the cruise port, you should have the hotel drop you off at an airport terminal. Otherwise, you need to take a bus from the blue line station to the airport and then transfer to the silver line.

Thanks for the info. I apologize for the confusion by mentioning the blue line. I plan to use the blue line for sight seeing and the SL1 & SL2 to/from cruise terminal.

One of the main reason I picked this hotel is the free airport shuttle to airport terminal as well as to/from the subway station on the blue line where we can get off at the Aquarium station to see the various tourist sites or transfer to other lines if necessary.

138east - thank you very much for all your suggestions and kind words. Being this is our first visit to Boston, I tried to do as much research as much as possible ahead of time by borrowing Boston travel guide books from public library as well as searching these web sites. Even going as far as watching Youtube to check out what the SL1 looks like and how to use the Charlie card but nothing beats the detailed info you have provided.

Few follow up thoughts based on your replies:

1 - Originally I was going to take the SL1 from terminal E as that is the least time on the bus but I will ask the hotel shuttle to drop us off at terminal A instead. That way I will ensure my kids and inlaws have a seat as we take the scenic route to see the airport. It will take longer, but you will have seats before you leave the airport. It will be easier if you get on the back of the bus where there is more open space.

2 - So the SL1 is on the "lower level" of the airport - is that arrival or departure? Is Logan like some airport with two tiers for arrival and departures? Probably not that important as I assume the hotel shuttle driver knows where around terminal A to drop us off to take the SL1. The lower level is the arrivals level. Terminals A, B, and C have two levels.

3 - The Logan airport web site confuses me in that it says "Silver Line to and from the Airport - FREE Silver Line inbound to South Station has been extended" the but then it tells people to buy the Charlie ticket from the terminal machines to insert into ticket into the farebox. Now if it's free to go from airport to South Station, why do you need to buy a ticket? The free Silver Line inbound service has been a promotion for a while. I think they just added that to the web site without removing the comments about how to buy a ticket. Go back to the web site and read about Charlie tickets and Charlie cards. The tickets are paper and I believe are one trip only. The cards are plastic and can be primed with more money. You need to get a card when you go to use the Blue Line. As I said I believe you can pay for everyone with one card that has enough money on it. The fare is reduced with the card.

4 - The MBTA web site travel planner says it's $2.50/pp on the Charlie ticket from airport to any stops on the SL1 and says same $2.50 when it tells me to transfer onto SL2. From your suggestion, we will transfer in World Trade Center Station instead and cross over to the other side and only have to pay once.

Yes

Thanks again for all your help. By doing it ourselves instead of taking the shuttle, we are looking to save around $100 taking public transit as well as having an adventure trip for my kids. Cross my fingers it won't rain buckets that day...

Rain should not be a problem. The airport stops are sheltered. The WTC Station is sheltered. The bus stops right at Black Falcon. You are good to go.

So to summarize the highlights:

1). When you first take the Blue Line, you need to try to get a plastic Charlie Card or cards.

2). The fare with a Charlie Card is $2.00

3). Children under 12 are free, but no one is picky about the kids if they look age appropriate.

4). Service from the airport on the SL1 is free.

5). Transfer at World Trade Center to the SL2 is free.

So bottom line for the port transfer is that instead of costing $60 each way + tip for your group of 6, it will cost $8 and a little time. Your group will "earn" more than $120 for taking two T trips. Enjoy the savings and have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I just booked this cruise yesterday for hubby, myself and parents. We are flying in from California and Parents are coming from Michigan. We were schedule on the RC cruise that caught fire. So here we are as a last minute change.

I have enjoyed reading and catching up on post. It has been a nightmare with the cost of flights and hotels! Much difference compared to Baltimore. WOW!

I love the weather up dates. I was hoping more for 80's but it will be nice being that it has been 103 here. I have to totally change my whole suitcase to cooler cloths!! We were heading for the Bahamas.

Really looking forward to this cruise now that things are getting settled!

• 3 months later...
I've gone to the airport numbers of times from Alewife to South Station on the Red Line and then South Station to the airport on the Silver Line. Even with luggage it's easy to do. The Silver Line stops right across the street from the cruise pier entrance. Perhaps a little walking, but not much more than a shuttle or taxi drop off.

Is there a senior fare for the bus and T line?

I have used the Boston T many times, and recently the Silver Line from the airport in July. The free transfer is INSIDE the World Trade Center. Transferring anywhere else will be a cost. Charlie Cards are not available in many areas, I have always had to ask an agent for one. Be aware if you purchase a Charlie Ticket or Card. Different rates. It is a Free trip from the airport to the port- when I went in July.

It is a fee on the blue line.

Budget Queen is right about the transfer issue if you are going from the airport to Black Falcon. You need to ride as far as INSIDE World Trade Center (not the outside WTC street stop) for the free transfer. The transfer is not free at Silver Line Way, but there have been reports of bus drivers taking pity on travelers from the airport and not charging them from Silver Line Way. The transfer to the Red Line at South Station is also free as are any subsequent transfers to the Green, Orange, or Blue Line from within the station turnstiles.

Great thread!

My Qs (wish the MTBA website was clearer):

1. Where can we pick up Charlie cards? Will we be able to get them at the blue line station near the airport? How about the World Trade Center?

2. How does the day passes work? Would we be able to load Charlie cards pre-cruise for day pass use post-cruise?

Thanks in advance.

How long are you going to be in town? In order to get a Charlie Card, you can order it online, or find someone that can distribute them. There is no guarantee that you can get one at any station.

If you are going to be in town for a day or two, just buy a multi use Charlie ticket at the machine.

You've asked the magic questions. It's a catch-22. You need a Charlie Card to get the reduced fare, but it can be difficult find a place to get a Charlie Card. Many stations are virtually unattended with ticket machines (where you can get a Charlie Ticket) but there is no human to give you a Charlie Card.

I'm betting you can find someone to give you a Charlie Card at the airport Blue Line Station. You can also ride the Silver Line for free from the airport. If you get off at South Station, you are likely to be able to find someone to give you a Charlie Card. This is not an issue for local folks because most Bostonians will have a Charlie Card already if they ever use the T.

The day Pass is $11, which is worth 5.5 normal T rides. A 7 day pass is $18. I haven't used the day pass. The MBTA site seems to indicate that these passes become valid when you buy them.

What are you planning on doing in Boston? Are you sure you need a day pass?

Hi,

Arrive Logan on Saturday Nov. 1st ... and will take the SL 1 from gate E (SouthWest) to Trade Center Inside stop - transfer to SL 2 for Cruise Terminal near Design Center stop. :) Thanks . Great help.

Now , a few questions :confused: (if you please):

1) Any convenient shopping (wine, water + flowers) near any of the stops?

2) Is Saturday @ 11-12am; a busy time for the planned SL 1 at gate E?

3) Have several suitcases. Very willing and able to handle these

behemoths (even extended walking, stairs etc.); but wonder about

'room' on the bus.

Thank you , kindly,

:)Seamo:)

There is a 7-11 on Northern Avenue about two blocks from the lower level exit at World Trade Center, but that could be a long way to drag suitcases just to get water. Wine options are not close and I don't know about flowers.

SL1 should be OK on a Saturday morning. It is free from the airport - board at the rear door for better suitcase space. The SL1 has luggage racks in the front and back, but the back is definitely better. The SL2 should be deserted. Once again, board via the rear door for better luggage space with no racks.

Archived