Question on Rejecting a Waitlisted Match

GradUT

We were waitlisted on the Pacific Princess for a Black Seas cruise and found out today that we were matched with a cabin. Unfortunately, I don't love the location of the cabin and it's not one I would have selected had I had a choice. What happens if I reject the cabin? Will we go to the back of the line? Is there a way to get a better cabin later if I accept this one now?

I'd appreciate any input on the pros/cons of rejecting a less-than-perfect cabin on Princess.

Many thanks.

We were waitlisted on the Pacific Princess for a Black Seas cruise and found out today that we were matched with a cabin. Unfortunately, I don't love the location of the cabin and it's not one I would have selected had I had a choice. What happens if I reject the cabin? Will we go to the back of the line? Is there a way to get a better cabin later if I accept this one now?

I'd appreciate any input on the pros/cons of rejecting a less-than-perfect cabin on Princess.

Many thanks.

What catagory did you book and which one have you been assigned? Is this an upgrade, or did you actually pay for it?

Many thanks.

Princess told me once . If I can't refuse or ask for a different cabin assigned with a guaranty. The only way is if I pay the current fare for the cabin I want . If after final payment I would have to cancel:mad: with penalty and rebook at the current fare.

If you were wait listed then the ship or category was sold out so there must not be any other cabins available. It's how bad do you want to go on this cruise and compromise on the cabin. You need to call Princess and see if any other categories are available and at what price and decide if you want to pay more. If I were wait listed I'd be happy to get any cabin.

The only sure way to get a cabin in a location you want is to book early. As said, it depends on how badly you want to go on the cruise. If you don't care, then reject it and take a chance that one where you prefer will be available. If you want to go on this cruise, I'd accept it because with categories waitlisted, that means that there are a lot of GTYs that need to be assigned. The chances of a cabin in a specific location on the ship becoming available is a crapshoot.

The bottom line is how big a gambler you are.

I agree I don't think you can refuse a GTY once its assigned.

If you received a cabin in the category you gty for then they have fulfilled their obligation to you.

Guess all you can do is ask.

I see you refreshed your question, thats totally different then a GTY.

Yes you can refuse the available cabin on a waitlist, just go back on the list again.

A little more information which might be helpful...

We booked late because we didn't know until recently that our summer would free for a cruise. The category we wanted, either balcony or mini-suite, was sold out so we put down a refundable $200 deposit a couple weeks ago in order to be waitlisted for either category. We were #5 on the waitlist. Final payment date is April 30th.

We got matched with a mini-suite. There are 3.5 weeks until the final payment date (which is why I was surprised that we got matched so quickly.)

So, if we decline this match, will we go back to #1 on the list, #5 on the list, or to the very back of the list?

If we accept this match, can we be waitlisted for a better cabin?

Thanks!

We booked late because we didn't know until recently that our summer would free for a cruise. The category we wanted, either balcony or mini-suite, was sold out so we put down a refundable $200 deposit a couple weeks ago in order to be waitlisted for either category. We were #5 on the waitlist. Final payment date is April 30th.

We got matched with a mini-suite. There are 3.5 weeks until the final payment date (which is why I was surprised that we got matched so quickly.)

So, if we decline this match, will we go back to #1 on the list, #5 on the list, or to the very back of the list?

Thanks!

I changed my answer above now that I see its a waitlist instead of a GTY.

We have waitlisted many times. I am sure that you will clear either way.

I don't think you will be sent to the end of the line unless you cancel the waitlist and start over again.

Thanks!

Now I really don't understand. What's wrong with the mini?

Why don't you call Princess since they know the answers. Wait lists are very different then most other ways of booking. I have observed that after final payment ( look the day of and day after) people don't pay and there might be some availability. The balls in your court if you want to gamble. I have never had a bad mini suite yet so would accept any mini.

Many thanks.

If you have received a guarantee and there are other cabins avaailable in that category you can have your travel agent call or Princess if you booked with them and ask for a different cabin. I did this when I booked a GG guarantee on the Crown Princess and got an initial upgrade to a FF nice location mid ship. At the end I got another upgrade (someone must have wanted my cabin) and got a BB balcony from an obstructed outside. I called Princess first and they told me to call my agent. They got me a port cabin aft with an oversized balcony that was same category as what I was upgraded to. If there is not available in your category you would have to pay the difference to move up.

If you have received a guarantee and there are other cabins avaailable in that category you can have your travel agent call or Princess if you booked with them and ask for a different cabin. I did this when I booked a GG guarantee on the Crown Princess and got an initial upgrade to a FF nice location mid ship. At the end I got another upgrade (someone must have wanted my cabin) and got a BB balcony from an obstructed outside. I called Princess first and they told me to call my agent. They got me a port cabin aft with an oversized balcony that was same category as what I was upgraded to. If there is not available in your category you would have to pay the difference to move up.

They are waitlisted not a GTY.

Thanks for the comments and useful info. I did call Princess and they said I could accept the match and continue to be on the waitlist in case another mini-suite became available. We weren't crazy about the location of the cabin, but we can make it work (as Tim Gunn says) if we have to.

Last August we decided we would be able to go on a December cruise, but the only categories left that accommodated three passengers were window suites, which wasn't acceptable for us. I asked to be waitlisted for all categories inside and OV. I started getting match advisories for cabins -- but they weren't in good locations as far as I was concerned (ie. far forward Plaza). Each time I turned one down, we were removed from the waitlist for that category. I didn't know if I could call back and get back on those categories, but we decided to wait and see about the remaining ones. About five days before final payment, we got a match that we decided to accept (Aloha aft inside) which ended up being satisfactory for us.

Archived