Cost of Cruise went down-but not for us

lsok

This our first Oceania Cruise and we have made our deposit, but not final payment. Booked through travel agent that friends used and got prepaid gratuities, $400 shipboard (refundable) credit and another $100 shipboard credit that must be used on board.

Checked the Oceania web site 2 days ago and saw that the cost of the cruise went down $200 pp. Contacted TA but he said that we couldn't take advantage of the lower price without loosing the group amenities, ship credit and pre-paid gratuities ($406.00).

Asking the long time Oceania cruisers if this is the way it works.

Thanks for your help.

This our first Oceania Cruise and we have made our deposit, but not final payment. Booked through travel agent that friends used and got prepaid gratuities, $400 shipboard (refundable) credit and another $100 shipboard credit that must be used on board.

Checked the Oceania web site 2 days ago and saw that the cost of the cruise went down $200 pp. Contacted TA but he said that we couldn't take advantage of the lower price without loosing the group amenities, ship credit and pre-paid gratuities ($406.00).

Thanks for your help.

I had a similar situation happen with Crystal. I contacted Crystal and they made the travel agent reduce the price. I would contact Oceania directly, because Oceania determines the price you pay for the cruise-not the travel agent. In addition, they also determine the promotions, ship board credits etc. that the travel agents or agencies can offer you.

Hope this helps.

and TA gave me the discount(along with other perks).So I guess it really depends.Call them again and STRONGLY SUGGEST they give you lower price or you ll take future business elsewhere.

PS.I asked in advance when I got a new TA for next cruise(Other one only did "luxury one")about this question.

Be persistent,it can be done.;)

and TA gave me the discount(along with other perks).So I guess it really depends.Call them again and STRONGLY SUGGEST they give you lower price or you ll take future business elsewhere.

PS.I asked in advance when I got a new TA for next cruise(Other one only did "luxury one")about this question.

Be persistent,it can be done.;)

If I were a TA and had a client that took this advice i would be glad to see the back of you.

I have not seen the price drop that far out

Seems odd that you would not get a price adjustment

Were the perks part of a special promotion from Oceania for booking early?

Lyn

Just checked the prices & YES they did drop

seems like your TA is not willing to give you the perks if you request the price adjustment

I guess you have a a couple of options

Ask the TA again to price match

Cancel & rebook ..maybe with another TA to get the lower price

Stick with this TA & just take what they are offering

I had a similar situation happen with Crystal. I contacted Crystal and they made the travel agent reduce the price. I would contact Oceania directly, because Oceania determines the price you pay for the cruise-not the travel agent. In addition, they also determine the promotions, ship board credits etc. that the travel agents or agencies can offer you.

Hope this helps.

Sorry you are incorrect

Jancruz1

It is my understanding that TA does a lot a business with Oceania. The perks were from both agency and Oceania. The $400 shipboard credit was from the agent and all the rest were from Oceania although I don't know of the prepaid gratuities was something Oceania offered through the agency.

I don't plan on calling Oceania and going behind the back of the TA, however if prices drop more, I may contact him again to see if any adjustment can be done.

Contacted TA but he said that we couldn't take advantage of the lower price without loosing the group amenities, ship credit and pre-paid gratuities ($406.00).

Thanks for your help.

The bold/underline/italic part may have something to do with the issue. Was this a special group booking that may be handled very differently from a single booking.

This is why I always deal with the line directly, I don't need a middle person to talk for me. All the other lines I have used adjust the price of the trip as the ship fills up, I have not seen Oceania do this. Have I just been unobservant?

This is why I always deal with the line directly, I don't need a middle person to talk for me. All the other lines I have used adjust the price of the trip as the ship fills up, I have not seen Oceania do this. Have I just been unobservant?

I'm another one who started out thinking as you do, Hypercafe.

After my parents longtime Travel Agent qualified for that big FAM in the sky, I started booking everything myself because I didn't need the handholding, and thought that I could do better for myself given a level playing field.

The trouble with that philosophy is that a huge proportion of the Cruise lines' promotional bucks are distributed through Travel Agents. Therefore, if you don't use one you may be missing out on all kinds of benefits.

I'd NEVER book direct again.

The trouble with that philosophy is that a huge proportion of the Cruise lines' promotional bucks are distributed through Travel Agents. Therefore, if you don't use one you may be missing out on all kinds of benefits.

The bottom line is what counts for me and over the course of my experience booking 60+ cruises I have never known a cruise line to undersell its sales force (TAs). It is almost always a better deal (and never worse) to book through an agent whether it be because of lower price, OBC or other perks.

It's not about hand holding from a middle man because, with all due respect for the exception to the rule, most TAs, especially the online TAs, are nothing more than order takers and provide zilch in the way of service; however I've never had an occasion where I had to ask my order taker for any kind of service after booking the cruise, anyway. It's all about price.

It is true that going through a TA will,in most cases, save you a few dollars in the form of OBC, free tour, prepaid tips or little lower price. The trade off is if a problem or question comes up the line will just refer you back to the TA. Then you are stuck in the loop of depending on a third party, maybe just an order taker, to be the go between you and the line. I have been in this loop and I did't like it. When I am spending 10k on something I feel better dealing with the company that is providing the service even if I miss out on a couple hundred dollars worth of perks. It's just me.

When we booked this cruise in February of this year, there were no listed perks except the 2 for 1 cruise fares and free air. Initially it was 2 for 1 deposits, but not when we booked. I don't know if there was ever an offer for free gratuities. Therefore I am left to assume that all of the perks we are receiving, which total about $1000, are because of the TA that we are using.

Don't know if we would have received any of the perks directly from Oceania or even from a different TA. Getting $400 off the fare doesn't come close to matching what we are getting now.

Just an aside, we were once booked on the maiden voyage of the Riviera, but couldn't go on new sail date after the original cruise was cancelled (on the day we made the final payment). We were told by our then TA, who didn't book much with Oceania, that we were entitled to $350 pp credit on a future cruise within a year. The only thing that wasn't clear was whether the date was a year from the cancel date or a year from the original sail date. We were never informed by Oceania or TA that the offer expired at the end of January, 2013 or we may have booked sooner. The sail date was in April.

Long story not so short, our current TA contacted Oceania and asked if we could get our $350 pp credit, but they wouldn't do it. Did give us a "gift" of an additional $100 SBC which is part of the $1000 we have now.

It is true that going through a TA will,in most cases, save you a few dollars in the form of OBC, free tour, prepaid tips or little lower price. The trade off is if a problem or question comes up the line will just refer you back to the TA. Then you are stuck in the loop of depending on a third party, maybe just an order taker, to be the go between you and the line. I have been in this loop and I did't like it. When I am spending 10k on something I feel better dealing with the company that is providing the service even if I miss out on a couple hundred dollars worth of perks. It's just me.

I notice that when I use a travel agent or agency to book with Crystal or Oceania the money shown on my credit card whether it is the deposit or final payment is not deducted by the travel agency-it is deducted by Crystal or Oceania. It clearly states on my credit card Crystal or Oceania depending on which cruise I am taking. Thus, it appears to me that the travel agent or agency is acting as an agent for the cruise company. Thus, in my view the responsibility whether you book it through the travel agent or the cruise line-the cruise company is responsible. I remember one time calling Crystal directly about making a reservation-and the Crystal agent telling me that you need to call your travel agent back, because you are entitled to a new cruise deduction. I did so-and the agent corrected the error. Now if the travel agent or agency was deducting your or my money-it may be a different matter-but that is not the case.

I'm another one who started out thinking as you do, Hypercafe.

After my parents longtime Travel Agent qualified for that big FAM in the sky, I started booking everything myself because I didn't need the handholding, and thought that I could do better for myself given a level playing field.

I'd NEVER book direct again.

I agree with you. It appears that the cruise companies have contracted out the booking and reservations to the travel agents or travel agencies. It seems that they want you to book not with them-but with travel agencies. Thus they give incentives to the travel agents and their clients to book with a travel agent or travel agency.

The trade off is if a problem or question comes up the line will just refer you back to the TA. Then you are stuck in the loop of depending on a third party, maybe just an order taker, to be the go between you and the line. I have been in this loop and I did't like it. When I am spending 10k on something I feel better dealing with the company that is providing the service even if I miss out on a couple hundred dollars worth of perks. It's just me.

But that's just the point. A TA is better prepared to assist with various issues e.g. hotel, flights, luggage, with which the line will not be able to assist at all. Even an order taker is better than nothing and, of course, there are some TAs that provide a higher degree of service though their pricing may not be as attractive as the competition..

But that's just the point. A TA is better prepared to assist with various issues e.g. hotel, flights, luggage, with which the line will not be able to assist at all. Even an order taker is better than nothing and, of course, there are some TAs that provide a higher degree of service though their pricing may not be as attractive as the competition..

Personally, I agree, especially after what we have experienced just this week regarding flight problems for our upcoming May 25 Riviera cruise. I would never book without a TA. We are so fortunate to have a TA who is very experienced dealing with Oceania to help us. The problem had nothing to do with Oceania or our TA; however, together they went above and beyond to help us.

I’ll try to make this as short as possible: There are 8 of us traveling together. We all paid our deviation fee, then made final payment early allowing us to be ticketed so we could then upgrade our economy seats to economy comfort. We were very happy with our seats.

However, just last week, I checked our flights on-line and I noticed Delta had put us on a different flight returning from Rome and on the new flight, there were no EC seats available. To make it even worse, all 8 of us had been placed in regular economy middle seats in the middle section! Needless to say, we were very upset!

I called our TA and she immediately called Oceania. The flight department quickly got us back on our flight, but by then there were only 5 remaining EC seats. We are so grateful to our TA and Oceania for getting us back on our original flight. We are going to be checking daily and hoping 3 more EC seats become available before May 22. EC seats may not be such a ‘big deal’ to some, but to us ‘older’ folks, a few inches more room can make a big difference. :)

by then there were only 5 remaining EC seats. We are so grateful to our TA and Oceania for getting us back on our original flight. We are going to be checking daily and hoping 3 more EC seats become available before May 22.

My question is, "How do you decide who gets the five EC seats and who gets squished?" :confused:

Mo

If you have a knowledgeable TA, one who takes responsibility for their clients, this doesn't happen. I also would never book direct.

... We all paid our deviation fee, then made final payment early allowing us to be ticketed so we could then upgrade our economy seats to economy comfort. We were very happy with our seats.

However, just last week, I checked our flights on-line and I noticed Delta had put us on a different flight returning from Rome and on the new flight, there were no EC seats available. To make it even worse, all 8 of us had been placed in regular economy middle seats in the middle section! Needless to say, we were very upset!

... EC seats may not be such a ‘big deal’ to some, but to us ‘older’ folks, a few inches more room can make a big difference. :)

Now you've got me worried. We're booked on WTP seats on BA in November thru O, and I sure don't want to be bumped to another flight and have that happen! Of course, there's only two of us. :o

No matter what you call them, World Traveller Plus, Economy Plus, Premium Economy, Premium Voyageur, we love them and try to travel that way whenever possible.

My question is, "How do you decide who gets the five EC seats and who gets squished?" :confused:

Mo

LOL! Actually, two people did not have EC seats on the original flight. They decided later than the rest of us to even go on the cruise. When they chose their seats, the only EC seats available were in the center section (four in a row). They preferred regular window/aisle over center row EC seats, so they are okay with their seats. Two of the couples were able to get their original seats back. The other couple got one of their EC seats back and a regular aisle seat. If just one more EC seat becomes available we will be back to where we started. :p

Delta explained to us that the reason this happened was that our connecting flight to Dallas was cancelled and the remaining connecting flight for us would have meant a long (5 hour) layover. This is all handled by a computer, of course, and it is programmed to try to avoid long layovers. Therefore, we were put on another flight that avoided the long layover. The program did not recognize the EC seating. Of course, if we had a choice, we would have chosen to keep our EC seats over the water and endure the longer layover.

After we land, we are going to 'tell our story', and hopefully they will allow us free access to the Admiral's Club for our layover. It can't hurt to try! :)

LOL! Actually, two people did not have EC seats on the original flight. They decided later than the rest of us to even go on the cruise. When they chose their seats, the only EC seats available were in the center section (four in a row). They preferred regular window/aisle over center row EC seats, so they are okay with their seats. Two of the couples were able to get their original seats back. The other couple got one of their EC seats back and a regular aisle seat. If just one more EC seat becomes available we will be back to where we started. :p

Delta explained to us that the reason this happened was that our connecting flight to Dallas was cancelled and the remaining connecting flight for us would have meant a long (5 hour) layover. This is all handled by a computer, of course, and it is programmed to try to avoid long layovers. Therefore, we were put on another flight that avoided the long layover. The program did not recognize the EC seating. Of course, if we had a choice, we would have chosen to keep our EC seats over the water and endure the longer layover.

After we land, we are going to 'tell our story', and hopefully they will allow us free access to the Admiral's Club for our layover. It can't hurt to try! :)

Hi Judy- I hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but I'm 6'3 and even I would not endure a 5 hour layover in order to snag Economy Comfort on Delta. The difference from Economy is so negligible that I don't think that I would bother with it again, period.

Archived