Sanctuary...what is that?

KathieKata

How difficult is it to get a 1/2 day in the afternoon on a random day? We're sailing on the Ruby next week and as brand new cruisers aren't willing to commit to an entire day, but might want to try it out one afternoon. Can you just show up and get a chair, or would you need to reserve ahead of time?

How difficult is it to get a 1/2 day in the afternoon on a random day? We're sailing on the Ruby next week and as brand new cruisers aren't willing to commit to an entire day, but might want to try it out one afternoon. Can you just show up and get a chair, or would you need to reserve ahead of time?

No problem on port days. But pretty much impossible on sea days.

I am assuming the sanctuary does not get alot of use on an Alaska cruise or is it something to consider. Just wondering for our upcoming trip. TIA

Shahira

I was just wondering the same thing. Not many at sea days for our cruise, but I think we would probably like to try it for one afternoon. From reading this thread, I'm assuming we would need to try to sign up for an afternoon as soon as we board?

Can you prepay for the Sanctuary before the cruise? Or do you have to pay once you board?
You cannot pre-reserve because you pick a specific lounger. Once onboard, go up to the Sanctuary, sign up and choose your lounger. That is "yours" for the day or the cruise and no one else can use it. Your onboard account will be charged the amount due.

The morning session is 8:00-12:30pm; afternoon session is 1-5pm although you can stay as late as you want. The attendants leave at 5pm. If you're going to do the half-day, the afternoon is the best time. :)

If the attendants leave at 5:00 and the afternoon folks can stay as long as they like, what stops anyone else from using the Sanctuary after 5:00?

We are actually sitting in the Sanctuary right now and enjoying it very much! It's windy and chilly (we are on the California Coastal cruise in San Francisco at the moment). As far as I can tell only one other couple (besides us) signed up for the entire week. The place is a ghost town, but we are loving it.

The reason you can't really use it after 5:30 when it closes, is because they cover the loungers with water proof covers...and I think the gate is locked too. Plus, there really is no point after 5:30 as the attendants are gone and there is no service. If they didn't cover the loungers up each night, the humid air (and rain in some cases) would make the loungers soaked in the morning.

The sanctuary isn't cheap for the entire cruise, but for us, it's a special occasion type of thing, and we are just loving the comfy two person loungers. We are bundled up in blankets and sipping hot tea. The view is great and of course service is great too. While the service is good, I do wish the attendants came around to check on us just a little bit more. However, because of the cold and wind, they are trying to stay warm themselves! Plus, I think they ware trying to let us be alone. But they are very attentive if we need them.

The reason you can't really use it after 5:30 when it closes, is because they cover the loungers with water proof covers...and I think the gate is locked too.

Makes sense. I don't think that the lack of service would be too much of a deterrent if people just wanted a comfortable and quiet place to get away for a while. Obviously, people who were either sneaking in or overstaying their welcome would not expect service. But the locked gates and covered loungers would certainly send the right signal!

I was just wondering the same thing. Not many at sea days for our cruise, but I think we would probably like to try it for one afternoon. From reading this thread, I'm assuming we would need to try to sign up for an afternoon as soon as we board?

On the first day you can either reserve the whole week or just that day. You cannot reserve for a future day. You will have to go the morning of the day you want.

How do you sign up for the Sanctuary? We'll be on the Pacific Princess (small ship) in the Black Sea which is a port-intensive cruise, but there are some sea days and some ports we are not so interested in.

Do we have to make a booking when we board or can we wait?

Assuming the Pacific Princess has not been refurbished since our cruise, there is no Sanctuary, but there is an adults only area pass that you can purchase on the Pacific Princess. It's all the way forward and you enter through the mens / women's locker room, at the Lotus Spa. The deck is partially covered, and has a large thallossotherapy pool (salt and minerals). We paid $149 each for a 14-day cruise and it was seldom used by anyone else. Occassionally, pool butlers would come out to take drink orders, but other than that, it was very serene and nice! No complimentary sandwiches or food, but it was worth paying for quiet and privacy.

We purchased the pass on-board. I think they said they were limiting the sale to 20 cabins or 40 passengers, if I recall correctly.

Wow, we have been missing out! The Sanctuary sounds absolutely delightful! I had no idea and have never been there. We will definitely try it out next time, if we can get a spot! Straight to the Sanctuary next time I board :)

Mermen, thanks for that info on the adults-only section of the Pacific Princess. That's obviously what I saw on the deck plans. Since the cruise we are taking should have very few children (Black Sea) and is port-intensive, I don't think we'll be buying a pass for an entire week. A day here or there would have been nice, however.

We might try it on our Dec 28 New Year cruise. We are not having a balcony this cruise so it will be a good way to have our own lounge chair as the ship will probablly be full and alot of children onboard.

Archived