Trying to decide..

GadgetRick

I always use a Travel Agent (TA). None of the cruise lines allow discounts; however, TA's can give you Onboard Credit (OBC) or other incentives to book with them. Incentives can be the OBC, bottles of wine, speciality dining... If the cruise lines are having a sale, then the TA also offers the sale.

In addition - if the cruise price is reduced prior to final payment, your TA can assist in getting your price reduced. Sometimes, depending on the line, the TA can get you OBC or some money refunded if the price comes down after final payment is made (happened to us once and our TA got us some OBC and a small refund - not as much as the price came down, but something is better than nothing).

We had problems on a cruise and our TA was able to get us credit toward a future cruise. Friends who booked through the cruise line were not able to get this credit.

Some things to think about.

Ok, so I booked the cruise (directly with Carnival). Leaving Jacksonville on July 13 returning July 18.

I got a cabin with a balcony. I'm on the 4th deck (Emperess?) in cabin E94.

My wife will be quite excited when I tell her on her birthday. She'll also be shocked since I've been against cruises forever...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Well done! You have the benefit of not having to fly. That is a gift unto itself! :D

~Bob~

Well done! You have the benefit of not having to fly. That is a gift unto itself! :D

~Bob~

I know. I figure, if we like it, we can always hit the other FL ports. None of them are too far. Even Miami is only about 6ish hours by car.

I always use a Travel Agent (TA). None of the cruise lines allow discounts; however, TA's can give you Onboard Credit (OBC) or other incentives to book with them. Incentives can be the OBC, bottles of wine, speciality dining... If the cruise lines are having a sale, then the TA also offers the sale.

not on carnival-- its not allowed

I know. I figure, if we like it, we can always hit the other FL ports. None of them are too far. Even Miami is only about 6ish hours by car.

6 or 7 hours is still not bad. The cost of gas or even a car rental....worth every penny. Take extra bags. Spread out/get comfy. Stop for a nice beverage when you want. Not having your ears pop. The list goes on and on :D

~Bob~

I am a little late to the party, but, next time don't limit yourself to just Jacksonville. Port Canaveral is just down the way, Tampa is only 200 miles away (I just drove from Tampa to Jax thursday) and like you said Miami is only 6 hrs or so south. You are in a pretty good spot as pretty much everybody is within driving distance.

Rick hope you did the one that does NOT go to Key West cause it gets in about 10AM and leaves at around 5PM. Key West does not get wound up until 7PM after the ship leaves. We did the Nassau side trip. BTW, the Penthouse Suites on Carnival are half the size as Princess. Out PH Suite on the Fascination was the smallest we have ever had on a ship.

Doing the Bahamas cruise. I'd heard it's better than the Key West one before.

For a first cruise its not a bad choice-- but if i had the preference key West was a lot better then the two bahama ports. I found much more to do- much more to see in Key West

For a first cruise its not a bad choice-- but if i had the preference key West was a lot better then the two bahama ports. I found much more to do- much more to see in Key West

Since I only have a day, there's only so much I can do anyway. ;)

Half Moon Cay gives you a great beach experience - much better than Little Stirrup. Nassau is just so-so, but has access to great beaches -- and even downtown Nassau will be an interesting sight for two young boys --- while Key West (interesting as it is) could be very disturbing to them.

You have picked a great itinerary for first time -- the cabin will be crowded, but you have the whole ship to enjoy.

Half Moon Cay gives you a great beach experience - much better than Little Stirrup. Nassau is just so-so, but has access to great beaches -- and even downtown Nassau will be an interesting sight for two young boys --- while Key West (interesting as it is) could be very disturbing to them.

You have picked a great itinerary for first time -- the cabin will be crowded, but you have the whole ship to enjoy.

Well, honestly, we're not interested in going to the beach. As nice as they are, we live 10 mins from the beach and go all of the time. :) We'll be checking out other things where we go.

Archived