Trying to decide..

GadgetRick

First post here. Hi everyone, I'm Rick from Jacksonville, FL!

Anyway, the wife has been after me to do a cruise forever. I'm not terribly interested in it myself but I'll have fun if we go on one.

Last few years have been rough (financially) but things have turned around. We've not been able to do much to celebrate her birthday for the past few years so I'm thinking of surprising her with a family cruise (we have two boys--10 and 7).

We have Carnival go out of Jacksonville here. That would be more convenient than other ports obviously. I spoke with a Carnival rep and they said Fascination does 5 day cruises from here. Sounds like a perfect length for a first time.

Wanted to get opinions on what I should look for, if Carnival is worth it and how to enjoy ourselves in the evenings with the boys. I'm planning on a room with a balcony because we'd enjoy sitting out there each evening for a bit.

I'm looking to go mid-July. Would rather not take the boys out of school and her birthday is early June but that's a bit too soon from now.

Anywho, I really don't know what I don't know so looking for tips and pointers as well as honest opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the world of cruise vacations...be prepared to get hooked. You are so lucky to be in Florida with so many cruise options. If you are set on Carnival, check out the Carnival boards here: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

The resident experts can provide a wealth of information. The first cruise that my wife and I took our kids on we were concerned about them having a good time. They had an incredibly good time in the Camp Carnival program and we mostly saw them at meals and late in the evening for bed time.

Have a fantastic family adventure.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I think a 5 day cruise sounds like a great way to start your cruising career. Shorter cruises barely allow you to find your way around the ship and then it is time to get off. You won't have any problem finding things to do in the evening - music, movies, karaoke, stage shows and more. Your boys should have a blast!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Once you have booked your cruise be sure to join the Roll Call for your cruise (most of the mid July cruises have one)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=342

Enjoy!

I agree with the others. It'll be long enough to give you a taste of what cruising is like.

Since you are driving to your port, just leave early enough just in case you have car problems. When my family sails out of the Port of LA, it's hard not to be piling into the car by 9am, but we certainly are on our way by 11am at the latest (an hour's drive for us). For other ports, we plan to get into our departure port at least a day ahead.

Be sure to go on the Carnival website and read the FAQs and all the other info about the cruiseline and the ship itself. Write down any questions and then go to the Carnival board here and ask away.

When you get onboard, and to your cabin, there should be an info packet for the kids' program with a day-by-day listing of the activities. You'll go the first night and officially sign up the kids.

There will also be the ship's newsletter that will list the various activities, including the evening entertainment. The first afternoon there will be a muster drill, which is mandatory, so check the back of your cabin door that will tell you where you're to go with your family. the newsletter will tell you when.

The cruise sounds great and what you have planned will be wonderful.

I would be sure to read information on the Carnival Cruise Line Board.

We found over the years cruising to be great for the family as we could all be together for part of the day while during other parts of the day the children could be in their activities and for them it was like being at a camp.

Keith

Hi,

My name is Tony. My wife, daughter and I have been on this ship out of Jacksonville. So from personal experience, it is a great ship for your first time on a cruise.

As previous replies state, there are lots of activities for your kids. They will make new friendships. We did not see our daughter until dinnertime, and she still keeps in touch with many of the kids she has met on cruises.

The Fascination is an older ship, built in 1994, but you would never know it when you are on board. She is in great shape, very clean, with a very good attentive crew.

We usually cruise near the end of the summer, a week or two before school starts. Gave our kids something to look forward too. Best of all, the prices are lower for that time of season, and we have never run into bad weather. No worries there.

As for parking, we drove right to the pier, and parked right next to the ship. Inexpensive and easy to get to. In your case, you may decide to have someone drop you off and pick you up.

Whichever ship you choose, I am sure you will have a great time. Enjoy!

Tony

1066268204_Fascination2010007.jpg.54888c249e93e4804b3f1c9f2024222a.jpg

1861589979_Fascination2010011.jpg.dcc04860bd8b3700f1af8219d2116227.jpg

1777599169_Fascination2010018.jpg.4c55c98a9b2df852ef17e85e335def9c.jpg

397307916_Fascination2010044.jpg.e070a11e329994fa4a603ce1d9323827.jpg

What a great Birthday present for your wife. Your children are going to LOVE this...and during the summer they will meet so many other kids.

The only suggestion I have...I see there are two different itineraries for this ship...IF you have a choice, do the Half Moon Cay/Nassau...not the Freeport/Nassau.

Freeport....yuck and not much to do.

Half Moon...OMG....you, your wife and children will LOVE this piece of heaven.

Wow! Thanks to everyone who's replied! I appreciate it.!

Glad to hear someone has gone on Fascination. I want to make sure it's a good ship for our first time.

My kids are like me, they have fun no matter what we're doing.

I figured cruising out of Jax Port would be convenient. If I like it--I know my wife will--we can always go out of one of the other ports.

The July sailing I'm looking at does go to Half Moon Cay. So glad I'll be going to the better destination.

Now I just have to book it without her knowing. ;)

I'll keep everyone posted on what I wind up with.

Thanks again!

Although Carnival has some of the largest standard cabins, they have the smallest balconies. There is barely room for two on the balcony, much less four. Only two chairs. A cabin for four would get you twin/queen bed and two upper bunks. Getting a Grand Suite would give you a larger balcony, but the 3/4 person would have to share a foldout couch. EM

First of all, whatever idiot redesigned Carnival's website should be fired. I've been on 22 cruises, nine on Carnival, and I can't find either the deck plans or the day to day itinerary. That said ..

For July out of Jacksonville for five nights you have two choices:

1) Half Moon Cay - a private island owned by Holland America (which is owned by Carnival)

or

2) Little Stirrup Cay (aka Coco Cay) - a private island owned by Royal Caribbean (which Carnival seems to be renting for the day)

Otherwise, both cruises spend the first and last day at sea and visit Nassau.

I have not been to either private island. I have been to Labadee, which is a private beach owned by Royal Caribbean, and it is nice. That said, Half Moon Bay seem to usually get the nod for the best private island.

You will need state issued birth certificates. No the hospital ones.

You and DW will need a state issued photo ID- drivers license works well as long as it is not expired.

I dont know when the kids go back to school but you will see a huge price drop as you go in later in AUgust.

camps are broken down in age groups-- your kids will be in 6-8 and 9-11

Budget in for the one night they do the PJ party until 3am. Kids get taken back to the cabin by the counselors.

Also- buget in for tips which are 11.50 per person per night.

Sometimes that catches first times off guard.

When you book ask the agent to send NOTHING to your home

You will need state issued birth certificates. No the hospital ones.

You and DW will need a state issued photo ID- drivers license works well as long as it is not expired.

I dont know when the kids go back to school but you will see a huge price drop as you go in later in AUgust.

camps are broken down in age groups-- your kids will be in 6-8 and 9-11

Budget in for the one night they do the PJ party until 3am. Kids get taken back to the cabin by the counselors.

Also- buget in for tips which are 11.50 per person per night.

Sometimes that catches first times off guard.

When you book ask the agent to send NOTHING to your home

Thanks for the tips! I was wondering about tipping and how/when it's done. I always want to take care of those who take care of me. :)

We took a 5 day family cruise out of Jacksonville on the Carnival Fascination a couple of summers ago. (My daughter got married on the ship in Key West). The kids had lots of things to do and had a great time. We loved the entertainment at night. We saw every show and they were all good. The food in the main dining room was great and I don't remember having any complaints about the buffet either. All in all, we had a great time.

carnival no longer allows dicounts. keep your booking in your own contolan dbook direct. that way if you have a question on a sunday you can get an answer. booking with an agent- you will have to wait til that agent is available

carnival no longer allows dicounts. keep your booking in your own contolan dbook direct. that way if you have a question on a sunday you can get an answer. booking with an agent- you will have to wait til that agent is available

Sorry but I don't know what this means.

In English it says:

Carnival no longer allows discounts. Keep your booking in your own control and book direct. That way if you have a problem on Sunday you can get an answer. Booking with an agent, you will have to wait until that agent is available.

While Serene56 is correct, I would advise you to get a GOOD travel agent. As I said before, I've been on 22 cruises and I use a good travel agent. The problem is finding a good one.

I booked directly with Carnival once. The PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) was very nice on the phone. However, she forgot to do something. I would not have discovered the mistake until I boarded the ship and found out that our group of six were not sitting at the same dinning table. Fortunately for me, that PVP left Carnival before the cruise and the new PVP caught the error.

A good travel agent would never have allowed this to happen. In addition, a travel agent can go to bat for you if there is a problem. The PVP works for the cruise line and is not going to support you against their own employer.

The decision to book directly or use a travel agent is yours.

Ok, so I booked the cruise (directly with Carnival). Leaving Jacksonville on July 13 returning July 18.

I got a cabin with a balcony. I'm on the 4th deck (Emperess?) in cabin E94.

My wife will be quite excited when I tell her on her birthday. She'll also be shocked since I've been against cruises forever...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ok, so I booked the cruise (directly with Carnival). Leaving Jacksonville on July 13 returning July 18.

I got a cabin with a balcony. I'm on the 4th deck (Emperess?) in cabin E94.

My wife will be quite excited when I tell her on her birthday. She'll also be shocked since I've been against cruises forever...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Empress deck is deck 7

you are over cabin space and under the dining room which is carpeted

very god choice.

Now how long are you keeping it a secret

Empress deck is deck 7

you are over cabin space and under the dining room which is carpeted

very god choice.

Now how long are you keeping it a secret

Whew! Glad I got a good cabin! :)

Gotta keep it a secret until June 8. :)

Whew! Glad I got a good cabin! :)

Gotta keep it a secret until June 8. :)

Good luck-- and PLEASE try really hard to keep it a secret.

its really awesome to be surprised

when is the cruise?

is an aft balcony cabin on the Facination

for 4 people E242

and aft view

the balcony is a tad bigger then whats on the side.

here is something that looks like you have now

the balcony is small. I just want you to be prepared.

you are not going to be out there laying on a lounge chair watching the view

balcony is around 1:40 turn the sound down.

Archived