"don't miss" views from the ship

karen of PA

We are traveling northbound from Vancouver to Whittier (one way) on the Sapphire Princess in May. We have a balcony but I have learned that we need to be on the top of the ship when we go through Glacier Bay. I don't want to miss any other spectacular views. Can anyone point out specific places along the route that are a "must" to see? I plan on spending alot of time either on our balcony or on the deck. I'll even set my alarm early (and I'm not a morning person).

Thanks,

Karen

My priority for a northbound trip. At least 30 min. prior to dawn, out first sailing day, so to get some of Vancouver Island, and staying out, until open ocean. Out again afternoon evening, through Dixon Passage. Out way prior to dawn, into Juneau and Glacier Bay.

I find out when Snow Pass is, and out at least an hour prior.

I usually out anyway, but these can be highlights.

How do you know when to be on alert for these things unless you're watching 24/7?

On the Alaska cruises I was on, there was a daily program that would clue you in to where you would be cruising and highlights. The Joe Upton Book and map referred to on other threads is also a good help.

You MUST get the book, The Alaska Cruise Handbook, a mile by mile guide by Joe Upton. It comes with a huge pullout map that shows the cruiseship routes traveled along the entire journey so you can follow your ship's progress. The book references the mile markers on the map and tells you exactly what you'll see in any particular area, when you need to be on deck for the most spectacular parts (often early), what wildlife will be in the area, the history, geology, local culture, tidal influences of where you are, etc. Indespensable!

You MUST get the book, The Alaska Cruise Handbook, a mile by mile guide by Joe Upton. It comes with a huge pullout map that shows the cruiseship routes traveled along the entire journey so you can follow your ship's progress. The book references the mile markers on the map and tells you exactly what you'll see in any particular area, when you need to be on deck for the most spectacular parts (often early), what wildlife will be in the area, the history, geology, local culture, tidal influences of where you are, etc. Indespensable!

Princess is the ONLY line which gives you the "mile markers". BUT, cruises have MANY routes they take, although you may be claiming it's fixed, far from actual. The cpts. make many changes and you can not count on timing being accurate either. Reason, I always suggest, being out at least an hour prior to any highlight areas of interest.

HAL had several stations on the ship where you could find the geographic coordinates of where the ship was at any given time. ( i think perhaps this info was also available on the in cabin TV...but my mind is a little fuzzy on that) Then I would look at my map with the coordinates and be able to locate where we were!!!! I loved following along where we were.

HAL had several stations on the ship where you could find the geographic coordinates of where the ship was at any given time. ( i think perhaps this info was also available on the in cabin TV...but my mind is a little fuzzy on that) Then I would look at my map with the coordinates and be able to locate where we were!!!! I loved following along where we were.

I was on HAL last year, and found their maps, way behind. I ended up checking with the bridge, for areas I needed to know, for my preferences, and always, no way matched with their "public" maps.

Do you guys have any experience on how Royal carribean does it in terms of updating their co-ordinates ? I have the Joe upton book mentioned above(a very interesting book, I should add) and was hoping I could cross reference the co-ordinates from the ship with the ones mentioned in the book. We are on the Radiance southbound this June.

Do you guys have any experience on how Royal carribean does it in terms of updating their co-ordinates ? I have the Joe upton book mentioned above(a very interesting book, I should add) and was hoping I could cross reference the co-ordinates from the ship with the ones mentioned in the book. We are on the Radiance southbound this June.

There will be a basic, "map" with coordinates that are "ballpark". Last year, like all the others, I found it pretty useless. :)

Most cpts, are pretty detailed in their noon reports, which, I pay attention to, if I'm on board.

Are the 'mile markers' in John Upton's book coordinates of some sort coordinates (i.e. gps) or only a reference point to coordinate with a cruise lines maps?

If they are mile markers from/to a point just wondering if I buy the book how I would know I when I am at a certain point ( X marks the spot :)

My pedometer won't help me know when I am 137 miles north of Vancouver.

There will be a basic, "map" with coordinates that are "ballpark". Last year, like all the others, I found it pretty useless. :)

Most cpts, are pretty detailed in their noon reports, which, I pay attention to, if I'm on board.

Would having a gps help...I Wonder.

Are the 'mile markers' in John Upton's book coordinates of some sort coordinates (i.e. gps) or only a reference point to coordinate with a cruise lines maps?

If they are mile markers from/to a point just wondering if I buy the book how I would know I when I am at a certain point ( X marks the spot :)

My pedometer won't help me know when I am 137 miles north of Vancouver.

No there aren't any "mile markers". There are points of reference, that, sailing the areas repeatively, I know basics. I rely on the bridge, and get real friendly with the ship naturalist. I'm able to get my reference points pretty easy. It also makes a big difference sailing it over 30 times. As I have already mentioned, the noon reports are quite detailed, which I pay attention to.

Having the book and map, would overall be beneficially anyway.

Archived