Onboard currency purchasing

Gail in California

Can anyone tell me whether Oceania will sell the foreign currency of the itinerary's ports?

We are going to so many ports in the Baltics that use different currencies.It would be very convenient to purchase onboard if there is not an outrageous fee attached.

Thank you

We just completed a trip in the South Pacific in February and they did, in fact, have the currency needed. I don't recall the exact fee, but it was very little and was very convenient.

We are doing the Baltic in August, so I will be following your answers. I know from our last trip, the Euro was accepted about everywhere.

Unfortunately the Euro is not that widely accepted in the Baltic.We have countries with Euro, Krone ,Rubles, & Lats.

I am also doing the Baltic in August I was hoping the Euro would have been OK in all the ports as its difficult to know how much you need for a day touring.

Q: Can I exchange my money for local currency?

A: For European voyages, Euros may be purchased from Reception. For destinations in Europe that do not utlize the Euro, along with Far East and China, South America and the Caribbean, we will endeavor to provide currency exchange services onboard or provide the guest with information on currency exchange services available ashore. All foreign currency exchange transactions will be charged to the guest's onboard account and a 5% transaction fee will be applied by Oceania Cruises.

Q: Can I use my credit card to get a cash advance on the ship?

A: Cash advances are available at the Reception Desk. A daily limit of $500 per registered card can be billed to the guest's shipboard account. A 5% transaction fee will be applied to your account.

Q: Can I cash a Travelers check or Personal Check on the ship?

A: Travelers Checks are cashed onboard our ships. We do not charge a service fee for cashing the checks into US currency. A 5% transaction fee will be added to your onboard account if require foreign currency. Personal checks are not accepted.[/font][/size]

I have spent Sterling and US dollars in Russia with no problem but they will only accept notes not coin, and any change will in local currency or in goods. In fact for a small watercolour I bought off a street artist, he was happy to accept a mixture of both since I didn't have enough of either on me.

In view of the prices in Scandinavia - probably easier to pay everything (even coffees) with credit cards!

I would strongly suggest you purchase what you will need before boarding or plan on using the local ATMs.

We have been told on several cruises that local currencies would be available and then when we boarded they were not. Probably the Euro will be available but don't count on any others despite what Miami will say.

On board they will tell you it is against local regulations or they could not get any.

Figure what you need and get it in advance.

As a Brit I can assure that that both the Pound and the Euro are widely accepted throughout Europe. There are normally Bureaus de Change on the main streets where you will get a far better rate than that with Oceania.

The US $ is also taken and exchanged for local currency.

There are always credit cards which we often use.

Brian

Except for Russia, we could use US dollars everywhere in the Baltic States. Russia wanted you to use their currency. Go to an ATM, works well in Russia.

I have found that also..Russia only accepts rubles..I now get them ahead of time because I have had problems trying to get them in the country at banks..(I dont use an atm)

Jancruz1

I have found that also..Russia only accepts rubles..I now get them ahead of time because I have had problems trying to get them in the country at banks..(I dont use an atm)

Jancruz1

Okay, here’s my concern and the supporting boolean math based upon our upcoming trip and cruise.

We are starting in the UK for 3 days, cruising to Germany for 1, to Norway for the majority of the trip, 1 day stop in Russia, a 6 hour stop in Sweden and finishing up with 3 days in Denmark.

That’s a LOT of different currencies!! Pounds, 3 different kinds of Krone/Krona/Corona {with a slice of lime:cool:), Rubles and Euros

So I am ‘smart’ and go to my bank to get some (my apologies to the Auzzies) walk-about cash asking for all of the different currencies. I get it all and am charged a reasonable percentage or maybe a flat fee for each of my Chinese menu like needs.

Now I suck in my breath when I have to absorb the exchange fee but I justify it by thinking, “Well, I’m gonna need them!”

I am set!:D

Trip, trip, trip, cruise, cruise cruise, hit all the ports sight-seeing, having strange and wonderful things for lunch ashore, buying some souvenirs (which will find their way to the bottom of a drawer that our heirs will open up and say, “OMG what the h$#l is that!?”)

DW and I have an absolutely wonderful time on the trip and cruise, especially since it’s with Oceania.:) We arrive home with a smile on our faces and reminisce as we unpack. DW starts the washing machine (not being sexist – she won’t let me near the blasted thing) as I continue to sort out all of the dirty socks. Now I’ve been trained well; I check all of my pockets and nooks and crannies (what is a Cranny anyway:confused:) and lo and behold this pocket has some Krona, oops this nook has some Krone (Swedish), hummm, the bottom of the suitcase has some Krone, camera case some…well you get the idea.

Will we ever get to use that stuff again? Doubtful.

So, how much does all of that exchanging of dollars for this, that and the other Krone really cost?

HELP!! What do you, the experienced multi-currencied travellers do?

Our private guide in St. Petersburg when we were there in Renaissance (May '01) definitely wanted U.S. dollars. She was a private individual, not associated with an agency.

So did our guide in Sochi last summer who was with an agency.

In the other ports on the Black Sea cruise last summer most guides (even when with an established agency) preferred dollars. In Constanta (Romania) the guide accepted euros or dollars. Nobody wanted their own currencies.

Don't forget that they are suspicious of old and "dirty" bills. It's not so much that the guides are suspicious but that the banks won't accept them.

Mura

HELP!! What do you, the experienced multi-currencied travellers do?

Do serious research into which of your Credit Cards offers the best "deal" on Foreign Exchange, and use that Card as much as is humanely possible.

Begin by using whatever Currency you do buy only when absolutely necessary; but as your time in a given country grows short, adapt your spending so that you leave with as close to a zero balance as you can.

Okay, here’s my concern and the supporting boolean math based upon our upcoming trip and cruise.

We are starting in the UK for 3 days, cruising to Germany for 1, to Norway for the majority of the trip, 1 day stop in Russia, a 6 hour stop in Sweden and finishing up with 3 days in Denmark.

That’s a LOT of different currencies!! Pounds, 3 different kinds of Krone/Krona/Corona {with a slice of lime:cool:), Rubles and Euros

I have lots of small amounts of different currencies ;)

Buy more NOK than you think you will need

If Murmansk is your Russian port do not worry the hotel where we ate had an ATM if you want to pay cash in the gift shop & I think they took CC

If you are only in Port for a few hours just get a rough idea of what you are going to do there (research is key) if you plan on public transit you can check the tourist sites for Sweden then get a small amount of cash shops will probably take CC or hit an ATM

Some ports had ATM's in the building at the port but you may not want to rely on that

I always take a bit of walking around cash for each Country ..I leave the leftovers for the crew

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

On our Baltic last year, we needed all those currencies, PLUS US$ for the tours we were taking in St. P. All I took with me was the exact amount of British pounds we would need for our transfer from Dover to London( so i wouldnt have to bother looking for an ATM at the port) and US$ travellers cheques that I could cash for no fee ( also no fee to buy them) on board for our tours in Russia.

In Stockholm, where we started out for 2 nights, did get money from an ATM a couple of times, and paid cash for some meals. Hotel was with a CC, 2 pricier souvenirs were with CC. Transfer from airport to city was with CC.

Once sailing, we would get the smallest amount from ATM in port, and use it for snacks, postcards, etc. We are not big lunch eaters. In Helsinki, the first Euro port, we got enough out as we explored on our own, to pay for the tours in Gdansk and Berlin.

Lunches were included on 2 of our 3 days in St. P. I remember lunch on the 3rd day, but can't remember how we paid. I do think we used an ATM there as well.

Ending in London, our condo had been prepaid with Paypal, and we used ATMs there at least twice over the 3 days. also charged one amazingly expensive fish and chip dinner for 4people, no alcohol, 90 pounds!

I had fretted about all the logistics beforehand, but I am a little anal ( okay, a LOT! ) and have notes made for each port, and at the top of the Helsinki page it said "GET OUT EUROS for Gdansk and Berlin tour!!!" We had to cash $1500 US travellers cheques and the limit is $500/day/person, so once on board, first day note said"CASH $1000", next day said "CASH 500". Also, my note card for each day would tell me what the local currency is, and the conversion rate to dollars, so I had an idea how much I would want to withdraw..

It really turned out to be not worth all the fretting.

I believe the best exchange rate is from local ATMs, and the fees for using credit cards in foreign countries are quite negligible in the scheme of things... on a purchase worth $75, which is what my "pricier" souvenir cost, it is about $1.75. If I had to fret about that, I wouldn't be going on a cruise!

I would LOVE to get a no foreign excahnge fee US based card, llke the ChaseSapphire card CCers post about, but despite HAVING 2 US credit cards, a US address, paying FL taxes, filing a US tax return, and having an ITIN,....since I have no SSN, my one attempt so far was roadblocked.. I plan to try again and ask to speak to someone higher up in the chain of command!

Thanks for the tips.

They all seem to revolve around: use credit card as much as possible / use ATM / Have fun I will follow all three ideas!

Sounds like you hit the nail right on the head!

• 2 months later...

I am arriving in Copenhagen and planning on taking the train from the airport to my hotel. Does anyone know whether I can purchase my ticket with a Visa credit card? Also, I will be taking local transportation for the 1 1/2 days that I will be in Copenhagen before boarding the ship. Bank of America charges a shipping fee to converst US dollars into Danish krone and the main BOA in Charlotte (headquarters) does not have krone or rubles!

Bonnie

I am flying into Copenhagen and taking the train from the airport to my hotel and I'll be taking public transportation to the ship. Will the Metro accept payment by credit card? I have Capital One which does not have any transaction fees.

Bonnie

You may want to ask on the Northern Europe forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Look at the thread "wonderful Copenhagen"

Danish Viking has been answering questions there

Archived