Which island to stay on the ship?

hladygirl

We always stay on the ship at tender ports to enjoy a day by the pool with everyone else gone. We leave for 14 night Caribbean on 11/1/13. Which of the following ports would be the best to skip or spend little time on : Aruba,Antigua,curacao, st Thomas, Cozumel or Barbados? No tender ports this time.

I couldn't imagine skipping Aruba. Find a hotel on Eagle Beach (consistently one of the top ten beaches in the world) that has a day pass or rent a car and tour the island. Or both. From you list I could skip St. Thomas or Cozumel, though I'd likely walk into Cozumel to buy some rare tequila and head back to the ship.

I couldn't imagine skipping Aruba. Find a hotel on Eagle Beach (consistently one of the top ten beaches in the world) that has a day pass or rent a car and tour the island. Or both. From you list I could skip St. Thomas or Cozumel, though I'd likely walk into Cozumel to buy some rare tequila and head back to the ship.

i agree, i would skip St. thomas also, but would go out on Aruba and Cozumel.. I love Cozumel!!

Skip whichever day has lousy weather? if not based on weather, I admit I have been to St Thomas and Cozumel enough times to willingly skip either. But when we are docked, if the weather is nice we get off the ship, at least for a short walk. Not relevent to you, but for us the exception is Nassau when multiple ships are docked; then the congestion and rebounding line in the terminal keep us aboard.

We always stay on the ship at tender ports to enjoy a day by the pool with everyone else gone. We leave for 14 night Caribbean on 11/1/13. Which of the following ports would be the best to skip or spend little time on : Aruba,Antigua,curacao, st Thomas, Cozumel or Barbados? No tender ports this time.

Hands down - Saint Thomas!

If it was me, I wouldn't skip any of them. You listed only 6 ports on the cruise you are taking so that leaves 7 sea days. 7 days plus boarding day you don't have the option of getting off. I would if I really wanted to spend a day at the pool - just pick an AI at one of the ports to get some less crowed pool time. Or go to Paradise Beach in Cozumel to enjoy the pool there.

But if I absolutely had to pick one of the ports - a tie between St. Thomas or Cozumel simply because there are usually a lot of other ships in port at the same time and crowds can be annoying.

I have never been to curacao & Cozumel so can't comment but I would never skip Barbados or Aruba or Antigua.......St. Thomas if you have already been...would be an easy skip unless you want to do some great duty free shopping........

In Cozumel we want to go to nachi cocom. In curacauo we will probably go to cabana beach and then walk around town since we are there for 15 hours. St Thomas is our first port after three sea days but have not heard a lot of great things about this port. Also st Thomas will have the most pax of all ports. I have loved Aruba, Barbados and Antigua when we were there before. I think we may choose to stay on the ship most or all of the day in st Thomas. Maybe just book a short ship excursion in the am then get back on board to enjoy the quiet ship.

My DH and I had the privilege to live on St. Thomas twice (4 years each time) and I would recommend not missing it. I would suggest at least taking an island tour and then coming back to enjoy the ship. The views from Drake's Seat and Paradise Point are incredible. I never tire of seeing pictures from these two places.

Another possibility would be to take the ferry to St. John. DH used to say we lived on St. Thomas so we could visit St. John. The trip across the sound is so beautiful.

I have not been to Curacao so can't comment on that one but all the other ones....no way would I skip any of them. St. Thomas is great, Megan's Bay is beautiful or for pure paradise....go over to Trunk Bay in St. John. Well worth the time and money to get there.

Pesonally I would get off in each port

I agree with others to go over to St John when in STT

Not sure what pier you will be at but....... If you were at the Carnival Pier I would say get off the ship for lunch at Panchos Backyard than relax on board your ship

QUOTE=hladygirl

Which of the following ports would be the best to skip or spend little time on : Aruba,Antigua,curacao, st Thomas, Cozumel or Barbados?.

We've been to all of these several times. CURACAO is the one I would pick to spend time walking around in town!

LuLu

~~~~

I would find a beach to go to on each island. Antigua go to church beach. Aruba go to Mommbas by high rise. It's a bar and you get free lounge chairs. Great bar, little stores to shop and music. Don't pay for chairs by water. Right next to holiday inn and marriott surf club. Another option is free access to beach by raddisson.

Barbados. If there has to be only one miss - that'd be the one I'd choose followed closely by Cozumel.

Why not make some of them morning only and aim to be back on board by lunchtime. We often do that to "get the best of both worlds".

Sort out the ones you can do a tour by taxi - eg Aruba for sure is one. Sort out any you want for beaches etc IF that's what you like. If you organise your schedule you can do them all and still have half days on board.

We rarely get off the ship now on Caribbean cruises - except for ports where I have favourite shops and I know exactly where I'm headed and how long it will take. Like many others once you've been a few times the ship becomes the destination BUT if you haven't - then it is lovely to experience all the different island flavours. Try checking the port boards and choose a few where you do morning only be back on for lunch -rather than miss any at all.

Have a great trip!

Loved Curacoa. The town is unique and is in easy walking distance. The snorkeling by the aquarium was among the top 5 sites I have ever snorkeled. The one caveat I have is that you need to be a very strong swimmer to swim around the tiny island.

Sorry, I would not waste an opportunity for all. If I had to skip one, I would skip Cozumel.

Be sure and go to Orchid World in Barbados.

Stayed on the ship 3 weeks ago at Cozumel 6 total ships in port no thanks

Nassau and Cozumel are ship days for me

Agreed! Been to Cozumel years ago and would stay on the ship the second time around. More recently, been to Nassau twice and would skip that as well. I would have to say my third would be GSC. Been there done that and would rather stay onboard. That said, only Cozumel applies to the OP. :)

Archived