Allegient Air reviews wanted

emuangel

My husband and I are cruising on the Pride of America in August from/to Honolulu. Flight from Albuquerque to Honolulu are high, so we looked into flying from Albuquerque to Phoenix, staying the night and then flying on Allegient Air to Honolulu and doing the same on the return (it is still cheaper to do this then a round trip flight from Albuquerque to Honolulu). We've concerned about how Allegient Airlines is, as we have never flown with them before. Please all reviews and information on them are welcome. Thanks!

My husband and I are cruising on the Pride of America in August from/to Honolulu. Flight from Albuquerque to Honolulu are high, so we looked into flying from Albuquerque to Phoenix, staying the night and then flying on Allegient Air to Honolulu and doing the same on the return (it is still cheaper to do this then a round trip flight from Albuquerque to Honolulu). We've concerned about how Allegient Airlines is, as we have never flown with them before. Please all reviews and information on them are welcome. Thanks!

I have a friend that takes it quite frequently back and forth to Montana. She hasn't said anything bad about it, but I know, Montana is not Hawaii. And she said they have limited days they fly to certain areas, so you kind of have to work around their schedule, not yours.

We flew Allegiant for the first and so far only time in January from Greenville, SC to Fort Lauderdale. They were cheaper than anyone else and offered the only non-stop. Flight was fine. No complaints. I wold fly them again.

A couple of caveats:

They do not fly many routes every day. As mentioned above, they may not work for your schedule. For instance, our route was only flown on Monday and Friday. We wanted Friday, so it worked for us.

They do not work with other airlines, so if your flight is canceled/delayed, they will NOT arrange a flight with Delta, United, etc. They will book you on their next available flight.

Find all the extra charges before you book. They charge for checked bags and carryon bags. No free ones. There is also a charge for getting a seat assignment.

Problems with this airline is that they have no interline agreement with any other airline. That means if there's a problem with your flight, such as cancellation or delay, they won't pay to place you on another airline. You are stuck waiting for open seats on one of their flights. Also, their limited schedule, which has already been mentioned.

They only fly IWA-HNL (note they don't fly from PHX) in August on Mon, Wed, & Fri. and they have only one flight. Miss that or it's cancelled, and you will be in trouble.

I wouldn't ever consider flying them for a cruise for these reasons.

I fly Allegiant between FLL and IAG for short stays but would not consider a longer flight or one at the start of a long vacation where arriving ontime is essential.

Bag weight limit is 40 pounds, not 50--a cruise dealbreaker right there. And as noted you pay for carryons as well.

If you were planning on trying to sleep through the flight, seats do not recline and there no pillows or blankets--and no coffee or any hot beverages are available.

And even if you prepay for seat assignments you can still get "upgraded" to seats that are more expensive on their charts but not preferable to you (just like booking a guarantee cabin on your cruise).

I've flown Allegient from West Virginia to Florida and loved it! It was my first flight so I was nervous, but I was really surprised with everything. I have since been on other airlines (not the big planes, but regional and mid-sized jets) and Allegient has the most room by far. As PP mentioned, their schedules may not work for you (at least in my area, they only fly on certain days) but if they do, then go for it! I had no problems and would fly with them again in a heartbeat.

I haven't flown them but a lot of my family and friends have flown them to come down to visit us in AZ during the winter. Their equipment is dated, cabins are not particularly clean but you can get some great deals with them.

Archived