Your favorite Food on HAL.

josephml1

Hello everyone.

What is your favorite food on board any cruise of HAL. Its my first time on HAL. Its the food good?

In particular Alaska. Also how is the afternoon tea.

Thank you for sharing :)

Edited by josephml1

Hello everyone.

What is your favorite food on board any cruise of HAL. Its my first time on HAL. Its the food good? :)

Here's some of my favorites

Bread pudding

Creme brûlée

Everything in the Pinnacle Grill - surcharge restaurant

MDR or Lido - The best thing is if you don't like something, you can ask for something else or if you do like, you can ask for more.:D

I love the Wiener Schnitzel in the Lido at lunch one day. I never miss Schnitzel Day.

The bran muffins at breakfast at my absolute favorite muffin ever.

Most of the soups in the main dining room are excellent, and many nights I have a hard time picking just one.

I always ask for extra wafer cookies with my ice cream in the main dining room.

I know I'm in the minority here, but nothing in the Pinnacle Grill or the Tamarind restaurants stands out for me as anything I have to have again.

Also, other than the wafer cookies (which I'm sure are pre-made), none of the desserts is a stand-out I have to have that again thing. They are good endings to the meals, just nothing spectacular. Though I will say that the desserts have been getting better.

...and they are in order of my love of them:

1. Nachos (make them myself at the Lido Terrace Grill)

2. Pizza!!! Love HAL's Sauceless Pizza:)

3. Chateaubriand (offered only on Le Cirque Night at the Pinnacle Grill)

4. Chocolate Purse. Oh My, that is to die for!!

5. HAL's Bread Pudding

Joanie

I love the Wiener Schnitzel in the Lido at lunch one day. I never miss Schnitzel Day.

The bran muffins at breakfast at my absolute favorite muffin ever.

Most of the soups in the main dining room are excellent, and many nights I have a hard time picking just one.

I always ask for extra wafer cookies with my ice cream in the main dining room.

I know I'm in the minority here, but nothing in the Pinnacle Grill or the Tamarind restaurants stands out for me as anything I have to have again.

Also, other than the wafer cookies (which I'm sure are pre-made), none of the desserts is a stand-out I have to have that again thing. They are good endings to the meals, just nothing spectacular. Though I will say that the desserts have been getting better.

I agree...I noticed this on our most recent cruise.

Lamb....I love it and its about the only cruise that still serves it nightly....Hope that still true...its been 2 years since I've last cruise with HAL...and will be going to Alaska on the V in May..

I, too, love the lamb. Had it several times during our Ryndam cruise. It wasn't served nightly...but it was served often. I always have that in the Pinnacle Grill as well.

My favorite food? The escargot on the last formal night...I always look forward to that.

I liked all the MDR food on HAL, but the lamb was excellent. I didn't see it every night, but each time I had it, I liked it. DH eats a lot of fish and liked the fish he had. We've eaten in Pinnacle for the experience of the small dining room as much as for the food, and were happy with that.

But what comes to mind first is the Lido bread pudding at lunch. I didn't think I liked bread pudding until I tried theirs--and the recipe in the HAL cookbook comes out almost as good as theirs (just up the amount of vanilla).

Another Lido standout is the fresh OJ at breakfast. And the sliced bananas on the buffet are in OJ, which keeps them from turning brown, and adds a nice taste.

There are a few things HAL doesn't do well. On Veendam, a few years back, there was a crepe station at breakfast in the Lido. the only description I can think of is "tire patch." And the cake desserts tend to be flavorless. Fruit desserts and crème brulee are good, as is their ice cream. But the "dessert extravaganza" is mostly cakes that look pretty but have no taste.

Lamb....I love it and its about the only cruise that still serves it nightly....Hope that still true...its been 2 years since I've last cruise with HAL...and will be going to Alaska on the V in May..

Lamb here, too. Leg of lamb or rack of lamb, rare enough to make my dining companions look away.

I enjoy the salmon in Pinnacle Grill, the Shrimp Tempura and Jewels of the Ocean in Tamarind, stuffed quail in MDR on formal night, lasagna at lunch in Lido (there are times it is delicious and sometimes not), rottisserie chicken in Lido at lunch, stirred fried chicken in taco bar.

Things I used to really look forward to that are gone:

Dover Sole

French Onion Soup in Pinnacle

Northwest Clam Chowder in Pinnacle

Gazpacho in MDR until they added Mango to it. Now I really dislike it.

Cappuccino Bomb (ice cream ball coated in chocolate).... I loved those.

Edited by sail7seas

...and they are in order of my love of them:

1. Nachos (make them myself at the Lido Terrace Grill)

2. Pizza!!! Love HAL's Sauceless Pizza:)

3. Chateaubriand (offered only on Le Cirque Night at the Pinnacle Grill)

4. Chocolate Purse. Oh My, that is to die for!!

5. HAL's Bread Pudding

Joanie

Joanie, what exactly is a "Chocolate Purse? I have visions of a Gucci bag covered in chocolate! :)

Cpcanuck

I never liked lamb until I had it on HAL. What a fabulous job and very good.

I also look forward to the prime rib on embarkation night.

The tamarind is fabulous and we enjoy the PG as well.

Love, love the escargots. Can't resist them.

The fresh squeezed oj is great as are the multitude of choices of eggs benedict:D

the list goes on - but I don't want to bore you;)

I think the chocolate purse is off the menu now? I looked for it on Westerdam but didn't see it unless it slipped by me. :o

I looked for it, as well, on the Ryndam...to no avail. :rolleyes:

I think the chocolate purse is off the menu now? I looked for it on Westerdam but didn't see it unless it slipped by me. :o

I've never had it on any of my cruises. If it's good they are sure to get rid of it:).

whenever it's offered or we just ask them for a future nigt. Best dessert and no frills.

Order it a second night!!! I'd like to see it on a menu to order the first night!

In the last two years, we've sailed Maasdam, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam....... It wasn't offered on any of those cruises. :)

On which ship(s) have you had it?