Once upon a time on HAL, story not review.

VallyD

Mr Troll has been on my ignore list for so long- he's an honorary member of the list actually ;).

I think I know the meds you mean and I know the feeling as you get close to that last hour before all hell breaks loose. Not good. And it doesn't matter how many extra weeks you bring if you forget them all at home, does it?

Not to get all churchy, far from it, but ever since I started hanging with the FOB's my Onboard account has been low, low, low, low, low (as the Carnival waiters might sing it). I have to really try to get it up into the 600-700 range, including DSC's, so I give myself 1K and pray, period.

I hear you about the family drama taking a toll before a cruise. Knowing that you're leaving definitely adds an edge to it. That's why my mom won't pack until the day she leaves- but she left Cuba in 1961 so the sight of suitcases, even though she is a world traveler, gives her anxiety. And if you're worried about what you're going to wear (I have a cruise clothes area- in three sizes), what's happening with work, pets, etc.... Adds to it. Also the dreams: will I miss the ship? Alternating with the "will I miss the ship" dreams. And of course the "will I miss the shiiiiiiiiippppppppppp" dreams.

I took four cruises in the year ending last July. I was a mental case when I got off the last ship. I have a (supposedly) full time job, a family, dogs, cats, BILLS, etc. It was just a freakish year of cruising opportunities and biting off more than I should have chewed and a new DH who loved cruises. And no, I don't live near a port. Just the frantic scheduling at work was enough to get me crazy. So when I next set sail it will have been a year and that's a good thing.

Enough about me. Thanks again!

That part about having a plan for ports rings true for us too, and I should have thought to mention it! DH and I had an awful first holiday together (just a long weekend in Dublin) because we didn't have enough of a plan. We don't need to know every single thing we plan to do, but we have to have at least one 'must do' and a few 'would be okay to do' things everywhere we go, or we just sit there not doing anything. Well, I say that, but what I mean is that I get increasingly angry and loud, and he gets quiet, which makes me angrier... So you're not alone! We can't afford excursions, generally, and definitely not at every port.

A good hint for next time is to look at where the excursions are going. Most of the places will have a website of some description, and you can pretty easily find out how to get there on your own and for much, much cheaper. I wouldn't want to do that for somewhere that's far away from the ship, or on a short stop, but for a normal visit, it's good.

Seago.....

Please help me. I've tried, really I have but I cannot figure out what you mean. :o

<snip>

Not to get all churchy, far from it, but ever since I started hanging with the FOB's my Onboard account has been low, low, low, low, low (as the Carnival waiters might sing it). I have to really try to get it up into the 600-700 range, including DSC's, so I give myself 1K and pray, period.

<snip>

What is "FOB's" and what is DSC's"?

Thanks, anyone who can help.

Seago.....

Please help me. I've tried, really I have but I cannot figure out what you mean. :o

What is "FOB's" and what is DSC's"?

Thanks, anyone who can help.

Friends of Bill and Daily Service Charge.

You have some really pretty dresses. Love the green formal.

Thank you for sharing your "story" and lovely pictures.

(I used to look like you, oh, maybe forty years ago. ;). Here's hoping you continue to enjoy cruising, and don't look like me forty years from now! :D )

Smoking on the balcony is a violation...

That's exactly why they provided us an ashtray, man do they go above and beyond!!! :D

Don't let this statement bother you, you had every right to smoke on your balcony. Statements like these are usually just emotion without the benefit of intellect.

I made friends with lots of Bill's! Ask Queenie! We had Bill 1 Bill 2 Bill 3 and Bill 4 one night in the piano bar! :D

Someone's gonna have to watch what she says now:D:D

Just kidding:) I think it's great that your Mom surprised ya:)

Joanie

LOL I doubt anything would surprise her anymore :D:eek:

Thank you for the "story," i.e., review, complete with pics - I really enjoyed your observations. It is so nice to hear of someone dealing with adverse events in such a positive (and lighthearted) manner. Many of us a lot older than you could take a page out of your book (sorry about the cliche). I am glad you had a good time despite the stress from back home, land sickness, running out of meds (yikes), etc. And girl, the whole time, you were styling in a major way - great clothes and shoes and hairdos in every pic (oh, to be young again).

Archived