Fast Times on Norwegian Epic (time lapse cruise video)

hdarby

Hey all!

I had my new GoPro Hero3 Black edition camera on my March 23rd Epic cruise, and did a log of experimenting with time-lapse photos. I've put them together in a video that shows a speeded up view of port arrivals and departures, plus life on deck. I thought I'd post it here to whet the appetite of those looking forward to their cruise:

By the way, be sure to maximize the window and view in 720p or 1080p for best quality.

Loved it!!

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.

What wide angle setting did you use? Tripod or Mount?

As you probably know, the time lapse uses individual pictures. I had my photo setting at 7MP Wide, and was using it mounted on a tripod. In my video editing software I changed the dimensions to 16:9, which dropped a bit of the top and bottom of the picture, then cropped a bit if it wasn't focused where I wanted it, so sometimes it's not using the full picture width.

What time interval did you set on your go pro?

For slower things like arriving and departing port I had it at a picture every 3 or 5 seconds, and for faster things like basketball I had it at 1 picture per second, and I think .5 seconds per picture for the waterslide.

Awesome video but I have two questions about your Epic experience..

The videos made the times at sea seem very turbulent, water in the pool moving a significant amount between frames, how was it?

Also it appeared that many areas seemed quiet or even barren in some areas (Pool area and buffet). How was the ship when it came to people onboard and crowding?

The videos made the times at sea seem very turbulent, water in the pool moving a significant amount between frames, how was it?

Also it appeared that many areas seemed quiet or even barren in some areas (Pool area and buffet). How was the ship when it came to people onboard and crowding?

Actually, other than a few minor times, usually only lasting a minute or two, I didn't really notice any rolling. The pool is always moving a bit, and the time-lapse exaggerates it, so I'm going to attribute it to that.

I tended to wake early, and didn't want to disturb my wife and kids, so slipped out of the cabin and did the two main deck and the buffet video clips around 7am when it was pretty quiet. I heard the ship was full, and during the sea days it was very nice weather, and the decks were very full, but other than that it didn't seem too crowded. We never had to wait when going to the dining rooms (normally around 6pm), and at the buffet I never had to wait behind more than one other person... normally just walking right up and getting whatever I wanted, so that was nice as well. They put the popular items in numerous areas in the buffet, so none of them get over crowded.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.

As you probably know, the time lapse uses individual pictures. I had my photo setting at 7MP Wide, and was using it mounted on a tripod. In my video editing software I changed the dimensions to 16:9, which dropped a bit of the top and bottom of the picture, then cropped a bit if it wasn't focused where I wanted it, so sometimes it's not using the full picture width.

For slower things like arriving and departing port I had it at a picture every 3 or 5 seconds, and for faster things like basketball I had it at 1 picture per second, and I think .5 seconds per picture for the waterslide.

Thanks

Didn't realize you were using time lapse. I thought you shot video and adjusted the time in iMovie or another video editing software.

Fantastic video work. We were on that cruise too and the best part you got couple of our friends on the video while they are doing rock climbing.

Can you share how you did this? Did you use still pictures or was it all video? I took several hours of video myself and would love to compact it to 10-20 mins video.

Fantastic video work. We were on that cruise too and the best part you got couple of our friends on the video while they are doing rock climbing.

Can you share how you did this? Did you use still pictures or was it all video? I took several hours of video myself and would love to compact it to 10-20 mins video.

That's cool that you know some of the people on the video!

The GoPro I was using has a Time-Lapse setting where you can set it to take pictures from between 1 every .5 seconds up to 1 every 30 seconds. I just set it to the time-frame I want, point it where I wanted to capture the action, and hit the shutter button to start it taking the pictures every few seconds, and let it run for a while. I usually ended up with anywhere from 300 to 500 pictures. I then use a program (I'm using Sony Vegas video editor) to combine the pictures into a video. Sony Vegas is a bit high end, but if you just want to give it a try you can use the free Windows Movie Maker - it will combine time-lapse pictures into a video.

Good luck with it.

Archived