where is the best whale watching

molsonschooner

We are going northbound on the Radiance of the Seas in July. Ports are Skagway, Ketchican, Icy straits and Juneau. Where is the best whale watching excursion from. Is it best to book through the ship or to do it book it privately. Any help will be appreciated.

We did a tour out of Juneau on our own and it was wonderful, but we saw so many whales from the cruise ship too. During the evening we would go sit up in the Crow's Nest on the Oosterdam, have an Alaskan beer and watch for spouts. We also saw Dahl porpoises from here.

The tour allowed us to see the whales much closer and enjoy seeing the deepest fjord in North America as well.

I would check out what else you want to do in the ports of Icy Strait and Juneau. These are the two ports for whale watching. After you figure out what else you might want to do, then choose. That said, if it were me, I would whale watch in Icy Strait.;)

Both Juneau and Icy Straight (Hoonah) are good for whale watching. I think I'd have to give the edge to Icy Straight. :) Seward also has a pretty great Wildlife Cruise, long and short ones, I've seen lots of whales, glaciers and sea life on that tour. Seward is where you will be embarking or disembarking from the Radiance depending on which way you are going, so that would be disembarking for you. Booking on your own is usually cheaper and less crowded (ususally). ;)

Hoonah and Juneau whale watches have 100% sightings of humpbacks. I strongly suggest you figure out your ENTRE touring preference, and schedule them where they make the best use of your overall short port times. Don't just "jump" into bookings without doing this. Otherwise, it is possible to have scheduling poor planning.

Out of Seward, I am always on a Kenai Fjords boat tour, needing at least 6 hours on the water. Don't consider any less in my opinion. This is a varied wildlife tour. You "may" see whales, but my stats are probably only about 60% (and I've probably got some of the top experience on this board with numbers of outings)

If orcas are a priority, then add several days and park yourself in Victoria, or with more time, Port Hardy. Plan on getting out on at least a couple whale watches. These are not 100% sightings. But, if they are close by, it is worthwhile to take advantage of their location and do successive tours.

I always have a lot of sightings from a cruiseship, BUT in no way, is this comparable to a whale watch, which I am frequently also on.

The best whale encounter we had was from cruise ship. Just spend some time on the deck with a pair of binoculars.

Good Advice. Not at all unusual to see Whales from the Cruise Ship. :)

BTW, Our 7 1/2 hour Kenai Fjords tour provided the most Whales I have ever seen on a Whale Watching (Wildlife Tour) adventure. I know I am a few thousand tours short of BQ, but that has been my experience. :rolleyes:

thanks for the replies. I do have some planning to do.We are going with 2 other couples so we'll try to come up with something that is good for all of us

Sorry, I don't go with this plan. Splitting up, is my suggestion, I NEVER compromise my touring. If someone else isn't interested- see you later. :) Especially a recommendation, if you aren't a frequent visitor.

Sorry, I don't go with this plan. Splitting up, is my suggestion, I NEVER compromise my touring. If someone else isn't interested- see you later. :) Especially a recommendation, if you aren't a frequent visitor.

Actually, the whale watching excursion is the only one that we anticipate doing together. If we do other things together that is fine but certainly not something that is planned(other than having dinner together most nights)

We have a party of 8, but are splitting up in Icy Strait as 2 want to go ziplining. The other 6 of us booked a charter boat with Misty Bay Lodge for whale watching / bear watching / sightseeing and a little fishing. We could have booked a 3 1/2 hour whale watching cruise thru the cruise line for $159 pp, but went with the charter for $225 pp for a 6 hour tour. We will have boat to ourselves, not fighting crowds for best viewing spots. 2 of us are photographers and feel much more comfortable taking some very expensive equipment on a private boat where we can sit it down and leave it unattended without worrying about it ( assorted lenses, etc ).

In Juneau, weather permitting, we are taking the Mt. Roberts tram and hiking at the top, which we did on our previous cruise, and was one of the highlights of the trip for us.

I'm glad to read that they can possibly be seen from the cruise ship balcony.

Side view is way less than ideal. IF you wish to significantly up your chances then get a forward view, with a good pair of WIDE angle binoculars. Should be able to pick up some humpbacks.

Key is to track from way ahead. They aren't on the water surface, and can be under water for 10++ minutes.

Archived