Luggage Tags - is this for real???

[quote name='SamFritz']Last cruise was the first with self-printed tags. We used no holders or packing tape. Just folded and stapled. No problems. I did miss the excitement of the arrival of the tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I used to do the "document dance" when it came in the mail. Then I replaced it with the "luggage tag dance". Now i have to be all "online document dance" which isn't as exciting.

The thin little luggage tags were "pretty" and they had colors. I print mine in b/w now, fold, and staple. No art project here. They really are sturdier and probably easier to read too.

I only miss the "excitement" factor.

[quote name='grtar']I have no problem making my own tags. Watching the video was informative. My question is - do you have to make your own debarkation tags during your cruise?:D[/quote]
No, Royal is still giving out debarkation tags for free. At least for the time being...

I liked the luggage tags they used to send me better, but now I just print them and have them laminated for not much. It works out fine.

At first I did not like this change, but I remind myself that I'm paying slightly under $100.00 per day on my Independence of the Seas cruise in November. They have to cut out something to do this and the luggage tags are one of them.

I print them on full sheet labels and then place clear packing tape over the top. I then remove the backing and stick them together (pretty much like the old ones worked). Works well and never have had a problem. :)

[quote name='Ashland'][B]Sarcasim not necessary :mad:....Perhaps you don't cruise enough to have seen the porters recently at many ports overwhelmed by large groups of people needing luggage tags..We just wait our turn, but this has definately made an impact and slowed the process from the way it has been for many years.[/B][/quote]
Maybe I do cruise enough. I'm just not bothered by the 30 seconds it takes to make a luggage tag. Must be the crafty in me

I am neither "pro" nor "con" on this issue but the variety of "simple step" processes suggested do strike me as funny:
[LIST]
[*]fold paper tag as directed. do not cut.
[*]staple at each end.
[*]use a hole punch at each end.
[*]use twist tie to attach to luggage handle.
[*]cover tag with clear tape.
[*]smear the tag with smooth, natural peanutbutter.
[*]print out extra tag and place it in front pocket of suitcase
[/LIST]I can see that it can become a bit of a hassle.

There is also the element of one little cutback after another. Next bring your own towels, then we will be making up our own beds, bringing on brown bag lunches, and finally in one desparate last ditch effort to contain costs -- being assigned a bench and oar.

[quote name='lawyerboy5555']...I just CANNOT BELIEVE that RCI is doing luggage tags this way. [/quote]

We had no problem with the printed tags. We printed the tags out, folded as they suggested, wrapped one around each handle on our luggage and used 3 staples per tag to secure it. All of the bags arrived safely with the tags still secured. I'm not sure why this seems to be such a big issue.

[quote name='JT1962']We had no problem with the printed tags. We printed the tags out, folded as they suggested, wrapped one around each handle on our luggage and used 3 staples per tag to secure it. All of the bags arrived safely with the tags still secured. I'm not sure why this seems to be such a big issue.[/quote]
[B]You must use very strong printer paper...mine isn't...which is the concern I'm having...I'll just ask the porter for tags...I'll still miss the nice strong airline type and the excitement of getting them in the mail...Wonder what the next cost savings measure will be :eek:[/B]

[quote name='Ashland'][B]You must use very strong printer paper...mine isn't...which is the concern I'm having...I'll just ask the porter for tags...I'll still miss the nice strong airline type and the excitement of getting them in the mail...Wonder what the next cost savings measure will be :eek:[/B][/quote]

We've had no problem getting tags from the porters, takes all of 30 seconds for them to slap a tag on the luggage. It was always fun to get the tags in the mail and I do miss that since it was a sign the cruise was getting closer but I am not going to bother with printing & making tags when it is so easy at the pier.

Sherri:)

[quote name='SeaUs']Maybe I do cruise enough. I'm just not bothered by the 30 seconds it takes to make a luggage tag. Must be the crafty in me[/QUOTE]

This. ^^^^

Although, I suppose that's 30 seconds less you'd have to complain about something else that doesn't matter...

Can't believe this is even a concern. Isn't cruising supposed to be fun?

[quote name='nyc12345'][I]Here's the link to purchase the tags designed for RCCL/Celebrity elsewhere:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PGOCUE/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B009PGOCUE&linkCode=as2&tag=cruisetag-20[/url][/I][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link......I just ordered a set.

I hate printing my own tags.....its not difficult......I just worry about my luggage getting lost if the tag is not stapled on well. Hopefully this will work for me.

I go to Kinkos and laminate mine. It costs a couple of bucks and it's become a pre-cruise ritual that I actually look for to doing - it means my cruise is right around the corner. No biggie for me.

[quote name='lawyerboy5555']I called the C&A D+ desk, since I could not find the place to request having the luggage tags sent to us (since RCI stopped sending out the cruise documents years ago), and I learned that we now are supposed to print out a piece of paper, fold it down, "reinforce it with tape" and find a way to adhere it to the luggage? That is just asking/begging for tags to become ripped off and end up who knows where...We don't sail until June, so our luggage tags aren't ready yet. But what are people doing to try to keep the tags as strong as possible? I think I have a few sheets of self-lamination laying around...I just CANNOT BELIEVE that RCI is doing luggage tags this way.

Any hints/tips/info would be appreciated[/quote]

While I guess it's easier for us for them to send the tags. I really think we have been spoiled. What has everyone been doing for all those years, and still do when flying to the airport to get to your ship in the first place. You put an address tag on your bag and when you get to the airport the person at the counter puts the ones on for the flight. So now you have the porter put them on unless you do it in the first place. I have no problem if they are looking to save money so they don't have to cut back on more important things like food quality, entertainment etc. Think about it. For us is costs nothing to a dollar if we put our own on. For the cruise lines it could cost millions when you figure the amount of passengers per year. So unless your a postal worker I say it's no big deal.

[quote name='SPDBigG']Is this a math skills challenge? :D Eight preprinted tags on one sheet of paper vs. one tag per sheet of printer paper. It wasn't meant to be serious but do the math. ;)[/QUOTE]

Print more tags. The more used, the better for the tree farmer. If he goes out of business, he'll sell to a developer. Then the neighbors will be very mad. ;)

Although I prefer the pre-printed - just because.

[quote name='mommabean']Print more tags. The more used, the better for the tree farmer. If he goes out of business, he'll sell to a developer. Then the neighbors will be very mad. ;)

Although I prefer the pre-printed - just because.[/quote]

LOL! 'Just because' is as a good a reason as any. Oh well, I guess I'll have to just keep booking suites...the sacrifices we have to make. ;)

[quote name='SPDBigG']LOL! 'Just because' is as a good a reason as any. Oh well, [COLOR=Red]I guess I'll have to just keep booking suites[/COLOR]...the sacrifices we have to make. ;)[/quote]
Or make it to Pinnacle!;)

[quote name='sstepson']This. ^^^^

Although, I suppose that's 30 seconds less you'd have to complain about something else that doesn't matter...

Can't believe this is even a concern. Isn't cruising supposed to be fun?[/quote]
I have no idea why the post you responded to made you think I had a concern. Where was I complaining?

[quote name='lawyerboy5555']I called the C&A D+ desk, since I could not find the place to request having the luggage tags sent to us (since RCI stopped sending out the cruise documents years ago), and I learned that we now are supposed to print out a piece of paper, fold it down, "reinforce it with tape" and find a way to adhere it to the luggage? That is just asking/begging for tags to become ripped off and end up who knows where...We don't sail until June, so our luggage tags aren't ready yet. But what are people doing to try to keep the tags as strong as possible? I think I have a few sheets of self-lamination laying around...I just CANNOT BELIEVE that RCI is doing luggage tags this way.

Any hints/tips/info would be appreciated[/QUOTE]

cruise critic sells nice clear luggage tags that have a pocket where you insert this paper luggage tag that you print out- it works great and of course is reusable!

[quote name='LauraS']We sell them too; [URL]http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46[/URL] Priced very reasonably![/quote]

We just received our tags holders and love them. I purchased 8 of them all for about $18 w/ S&H. Print out the paper, fold it and stick it in the clear holder. Looks great, and only took about 3 days to get them.
We purchased the narrow ones.

Thank you Laura

[quote name='SeaUs']I have no idea why the post you responded to made you think I had a concern. Where was I complaining?[/QUOTE]

No, no...I agree with you....I just didn't phrase it properly. I didn't mean to infer that you were complaining, it was aimed at those who complain about little things like luggage tags.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I, too, have no problem taking 30 seconds to make my tag and get on with enjoying my vacation!

Cheers!

Archived