First Time on Veendam

doubledobles

Expect in what way? She's a lovely, elegant ship. Small in size with lots and lots to do. The staff and crew are superb as most HAL employees are.

We will be on her again in Dec. for 25 days. In the same cabin we've had before.

last Veendam cruise was NYC to Bermuda. I have found that I really like the smaller ships; I have been on a few HAL cruises and like them because I now what to expect: No loud parties (unless it is spring break maybe) I always have found food that satisfies me (maybe too much), I find some entertainment to amuse me, love the crew who always remember my name etc. I am easy to get along with and courteous and smiling. Things do happen. It is Murphy's law. Go with the flow! I would love to do this cruise.

We sailed her in May and had great time, small ship that never seemed crowded, food was good, Pinnacle was great eat there 3 nights (25 dollar charge but well worth it ), remember Hal allows you to BYOB all the wine you want with a 18 dollar corkage if you drink it in public area.

The Veendam is in decent enough condition, and will provide a pleasant cruise, but she is not the nicest of the HAL ships anymore.

She is clean, and well kept to the extent it can be with some of the problems. For example, the beautiful overhead lamps in the dining room are kept from falling down by netting that is necessary to hold them in place. :(

Food is good for what it is, but the dinner choices are not at all what they used to be.

Service in the dining room was good---not great. Service was better in the other venues, but not what it used to be.

One exception to that is the Pinnacle. Food and service there were as good as I have had on any HAL ship.

I was aboard this ship for 20 days in January, and did enjoy my cruise. But this was not the ship I selected for my upcoming NE/Canada cruise.

The Veendam was the first HAL ship we ever sailed and we loved the size of the ship and the great crew. She was a little rough around the edges as she was due for a dry dock shortly after our cruise but that did not impact our enjoyment. Of course they did not have nets holding up lights in the MDar :eek:

We chose the Veendam because of its size. We are Oceania cruisers who are experimenting with a seven day HAL cruise. The price was right and we're using this cruise to see if we like it or not along with another couple who are also O cruisers. I want to really like the ship.

I want to really like the ship.

I hope you do like the ship. But keep in mind she is not HAL's finest example.

This itinerary is so port-intensive that you really won't have much time to lol around the ship anyway.

Archived