Tipping Money

What currency would I use to tip porters from ship to bus transfer, to airport? Do I need to convert dollars into Canadian currency? We will be getting off the Sapphire Princess, then using the Princess transfer to the airport. Thanks for any help. Susan

What currency would I use to tip porters from ship to bus transfer, to airport? Do I need to convert dollars into Canadian currency? We will be getting off the Sapphire Princess, then using the Princess transfer to the airport. Thanks for any help. Susan

US Currency is widely accepted in border regions of Canada, I wouldn't worry about converting some for tips

Both currencies would be appreciated as a tip....there is no reason to rush out and get some $CDN.

You can use either, but I wonder what a porter would say if I gave a tip with a Can. bill in a USA port? Just asking.

Agreed, but I think it depends on how far from the border said port is. Fort Lauderdale, for example.... Canadian dollars would not be as appreciated as in Seattle, I should think.

I guess I'm of a different opinion. I just think it's rude to tip people with currency from your own country. I would never dream of tipping someone in the USA with Canadian funds (not that they would take them anyway) or any other country for that matter. It's not difficult to convert some cash into Canadian funds, just courteous.

I guess I'm of a different opinion. I just think it's rude to tip people with currency from your own country. I would never dream of tipping someone in the USA with Canadian funds (not that they would take them anyway) or any other country for that matter. It's not difficult to convert some cash into Canadian funds, just courteous.

I have to agree here. If you flying into YVR it is easy to exchange funds before you leave the arrival hall.

I live in Vancouver. If you are giving USD as tip money, then unless the individual goes to the US to shop regularly (many don't), then the person would have to go to the bank to exchange the money and would lose some as the bank charges conversion fees. Lots of ATMs around in the airport and on pretty much ever street corner, so my suggestion would be to withdraw a little Canadian cash from the ATM and use the currency of the country you are visiting.

Archived