Cruising in September

DonOtt

Hi all....

DW and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary in September and I'm waffling back and forth about where to go and what to do. The threat of hurricanes really has me worried about heading to Florida, New Orleans or any cruise in the Caribbean.

Has anyone cruised in the Caribbean in late September?

Any other suggestions are fine by me :D

Thanks...Don

One big advantage of a cruise vacation vs. a resort on land, should a storm threaten, your resort is going somewhere else away from danger.

In my TA days I booked my highest percentage of cruises in Hurricane Season. Why? Price. Bermuda can be a hidden $$$$$ treasure that time of year.

Honestly, you will be sailing in storm season so none of us can promise perfect weather. What I WILL say is. There are many-many more nice days than stormy in a season.

Happy cruising!

As long as you're OK with the possibility of the itinerary possibly being changed to avoid a storm, it's a great time to cruise. The odds of a storm being where you are going at the time you are supposed to be there are pretty low, although you might get more waves than normal.

I've lived in Florida all my life (56 years) and I can tell you that it's rare for storm-force winds to hit us. It does happen, but I wouldn't think of basing my long-range plans on the possibility. The price differential is well worth booking in September as long as you're flexible and not too prone to seasickness. The only reason I'm going in August instead of September is I'm taking grandkids and have to work around their school schedule.

Have a great time!

Advantages of cruising that time of year include lower price, fewer kids (if that's something you're looking for), and the fact that unlike a land-based resort, your ship can take you away from a Hurricane.

The biggest issue strikes when a Hurricane targets your homeport. I actually missed a cruise once because of this during Hurricane season, closing the airport. That's the risk you have to weigh. I personally weigh the risk and don't hesitate to cruise during Hurricane season with appropriate travel insurance.

Advantages of cruising that time of year include lower price, fewer kids (if that's something you're looking for), and the fact that unlike a land-based resort, your ship can take you away from a Hurricane.

Exact reasons we like September as well.

Like everyone else - we've vacationed in Florida - both land and sea - in September for the past 25 years - can't wait for our first cruise on the Oasis Sept. 14 - and we have never encountered a hurricane. The benefits far outway the risk.

We have cruised twice in September ( 2010 & 2012 ) . Both weeks were perfect ( other than a brief shower for 10 minutes on the last one ) .

Check out the Oasis . Huge discounts in September on the cruise and flights in the range of 30 - 40 % for mine ( compared to an April cruise ).

We went both times on the Oasis . We prefered east over the west itinerary.

cheers.

Eight out of nine cruises I have been on have all been during the months of September - December and only once was I affected by a hurricane and we were at the tail end of that one (September 1988). I took a repositioning cruise in October of 1992 that left out of NY and the water was choppy for the first two days and it did rain, but you would normally encounter more waves in the Atlantic than you would the Caribbean anyway. All in all, you should be just fine cruising in September. I would not let the possibility of a hurricane stop you from planning what will more than likely be a wonderful vacation.

Archived