Live and Greetings from the Sapphire 4/13/13

Working 2 Cruise

Yesterday was lovely Santa Barbara. It was really sunny, but windy and cool. We did not do much there except to go to Longboard's for lunch. I had a lovely lobster salad sandwich...

The tender ride to Santa Barbara (also on the way back) felt like we were on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride... I had the bright idea of wanting to sit on the outside deck of the tender... It was freezing! It was so cold my ears started to hurt! The ride was rough and at one point tipped to the right :eek: but, fortunately, righted itself... Ride back was not quite so rough, but rough enough.

It is time for us to prepare to go ashore, so I will check in with y'all later today or tomorrow.

That tender ride sounds like an adventure! Sure hope the waters calm down for us!! But the thought of a delicious lobster salad sandwich will make me brave it! Is Longboard's within walking distance when you get off the tender?

Longboards is on the pier adjacent to where we dock. It is about a 5 minute walk.

It was a beautiful day in Catalina! We left the ship around 10:00 a.m. It is a very short tender ride, and much less eventful than yesterday's! We just walked around a bit and returned... After getting my husband's essential shaving cream he forgot to pack. By the way, he is the one who forgot his jacket, and other items when he was giving me a hard time while we were packing and telling me I was not packing enough, etc... Ha!

Back onboard, it was a gorgeous afternoon. I was able to get into my bathing suit and have a nice lounge chair where I suntanned while watching Paul McCartney in concert and going for a swim! This was an absolutely perfect cruise moment. One seagull was very bold and would come to rest on the bar's wooden railings!

So yes, even on a Pacific Coastal cruise, you can sunbathe and swim - just not all the time!

We will be getting ready for cocktails and dinner soon, so I will catch up with you sometime tomorrow.

One seagull was very bold and would come to rest on the bar's wooden railings!

You have to be cautious around those aggressive Catalina seagulls! :eek:

In Catalina my SIL had a gull approach from behind, tapped her head & snatched half of her sandwich out of her hand before another gull grabbed the rest of it as she screamed. :p

Longboards is on the pier adjacent to where we dock. It is about a 5 minute walk.

It was a beautiful day in Catalina! We left the ship around 10:00 a.m. It is a very short tender ride, and much less eventful than yesterday's! We just walked around a bit and returned... After getting my husband's essential shaving cream he forgot to pack. By the way, he is the one who forgot his jacket, and other items when he was giving me a hard time while we were packing and telling me I was not packing enough, etc... Ha!

Back onboard, it was a gorgeous afternoon. I was able to get into my bathing suit and have a nice lounge chair where I suntanned while watching Paul McCartney in concert and going for a swim! This was an absolutely perfect cruise moment. One seagull was very bold and would come to rest on the bar's wooden railings!

So yes, even on a Pacific Coastal cruise, you can sunbathe and swim - just not all the time!

We will be getting ready for cocktails and dinner soon, so I will catch up with you sometime tomorrow.

Enjoying your review so far. We've never done a coastal like this but might need to think about it in the future.

So glad to hear you had a pool day! I'm hoping for that too! Thanks for taking your time to write. I'm really enjoying it. It will be my first time sailing on the Pacific!!

Frank, it looks like we barely escaped the crazy seagull!:D

San Diego time! It seems like it is going to be very sunny and in the 70's... We will not be going ashore today but, instead, will be enjoying an empty ship... And another pool day seems to be in store for me...

Here is what is happening around the ship today:

9:45 Crew Emergency Drills - Gee, we are staying onboard for this! :D

10:00 a.m. - Princess Bride on MUTS

12:15 p.m. - Love Boat on MUTS - Now this I will attend in my bathing attire...

2:00 p.m. - Zero Dark Thirty (in the Princess Theater - boohoo... I am going to have to drag myself out of the sun for this)

3:00 p.m. - Dirty Dancing on MUTS

4:00 p.m. - Princess Pop Star Rehearsal

Now, I have some serious conflicts as for tonight... Captain Circle Party is at 7:00 p.m., the slot tournament is at 7:00 as well... :mad: Alfred and Seymour are doing three shows, one at 7, 8:15 and 10:15. This I must go to and told Norman that we are going in no uncertain terms... The Marriage Match and Game Show is at 10:15, and the Life of Pi will be showing on MUTS at 7 and 10:00 p.m. Also, at 10:15, there is the American Rock and Roll with New Deal which should be fun, and the Princess Pop Star Grand Final at 11:15 p.m.

It is funny, yesterday, there was almost nothing (at least for us), but tonight is going to be busy.

Until later folks! My minutes are starting to run low...:(

Sitmar Lady, I spoke with the Circle Hostess yesterday and she told me that Ovi did pass the test but there were no positions open other than on the Island Princess and he could not take that position. However, he is next in line for the next opportunity.

We tendered in Santa Barbara around 9:30 a.m. because of the late departure from San Francisco.

If there are any other questions, please let me know! I still have 50 minutes of internet, so that should be plenty.

Another comment I would like to make is that the crew has been absolutely wonderful! I was holding two cups of steaming hot coffee and waiting for the elevator... A crew member held the door to the elevator for me as I was struggling with the hot, hot coffee...

Anyone sailing on the Sapphire should be very pleased. It is a wonderful cruise!

Thank you! That is good news, I know they want to try to stay on the same ship together. I personally are hoping they are still both on the Sapphire in November!

Enjoy your day in San Diego today, we did the exact same thing on our Coastal a couple of weeks ago. Went up to the Sanctuary enjoyed a day of complete relaxation. With such a port intensive cruise, you need a day to veg!

When we did the coastal in October, we walked over to the Midway and did the wonderful self guided tour...it was terrific!

I feel very fortunate to be able to visit her again since she became a floating museum & not turned into scrap iron like so many other ships.

If you happen to see Patrizia (Captain's Circle Hostess) in the lounge at disembarkation time, please ask her to pass The Rose's congratulations to Ovi.

That is great news. Ovi knew he might have to wait for a billet to open up. Passing the test is the big hurdle. They are a great couple. We look forward to sailing with them again.

Peggy and Jerry Rose

They have the same statue in Civitavecchia. ;)

I don't think The Kiss statue is there anymore. They dismantled it a few months ago. Something to do with its temporary status. Don't know if they plan on replacing it with a permanent statue.

OP, thanks for the updates. We're sailing on the repositioning cruise to Vancouver in May. We've been to Santa Barbara many times so, like you, we plan to stay on the ship and relax when it stops there on day #2. Will be a good opportunity to explore the ship (our first cruise on the Sapphire), swim some laps, and slow the body clock down a bit.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise! :)

John

Frank, it looks like we barely escaped the crazy seagull!:D

San Diego time! It seems like it is going to be very sunny and in the 70's... We will not be going ashore today but, instead, will be enjoying an empty ship... And another pool day seems to be in store for me...

Here is what is happening around the ship today:

9:45 Crew Emergency Drills - Gee, we are staying onboard for this! :D

10:00 a.m. - Princess Bride on MUTS

12:15 p.m. - Love Boat on MUTS - Now this I will attend in my bathing attire...

2:00 p.m. - Zero Dark Thirty (in the Princess Theater - boohoo... I am going to have to drag myself out of the sun for this)

3:00 p.m. - Dirty Dancing on MUTS

4:00 p.m. - Princess Pop Star Rehearsal

Now, I have some serious conflicts as for tonight... Captain Circle Party is at 7:00 p.m., the slot tournament is at 7:00 as well... :mad: Alfred and Seymour are doing three shows, one at 7, 8:15 and 10:15. This I must go to and told Norman that we are going in no uncertain terms... The Marriage Match and Game Show is at 10:15, and the Life of Pi will be showing on MUTS at 7 and 10:00 p.m. Also, at 10:15, there is the American Rock and Roll with New Deal which should be fun, and the Princess Pop Star Grand Final at 11:15 p.m.

It is funny, yesterday, there was almost nothing (at least for us), but tonight is going to be busy.

Until later folks! My minutes are starting to run low...:(

We certainly appreciate your taking the time and updating us daily. Always look forward to reading your daily posts. Hope you don't run out of minutes before Saturday. What a full day you have planned!!! It's always so hard when you have so many fun choices.

My sister and I will be on the Sapphire May 11icon7.gif having sailed on her many times before. In previous posts you mentioned a waiter named Ovi .....is he in Sabatini's or Vivaldi? How do you like the new menus? I'm so glad to see they still have bananas foster on the menu .....yummy!!!

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned staying at the Crowne Plaza .....what kind of a rate did you get? I was able to get our room for $65 last year thru Priceline but a few weeks ago when I bid $65 they would not accept it.

We are planning to take the trolley in Santa Barbara, does anyone know if it has to be reserved in advance?

Enjoy your day in lovely San Diego!!! One of my favorite cities.

Marion

We certainly appreciate your taking the time and updating us daily. Always look forward to reading your daily posts. Hope you don't run out of minutes before Saturday. What a full day you have planned!!! It's always so hard when you have so many fun choices.

My sister and I will be on the Sapphire May 11icon7.gif having sailed on her many times before. In previous posts you mentioned a waiter named Ovi .....is he in Sabatini's or Vivaldi? How do you like the new menus? I'm so glad to see they still have bananas foster on the menu .....yummy!!!

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned staying at the Crowne Plaza .....what kind of a rate did you get? I was able to get our room for $65 last year thru Priceline but a few weeks ago when I bid $65 they would not accept it.

We are planning to take the trolley in Santa Barbara, does anyone know if it has to be reserved in advance?

Enjoy your day in lovely San Diego!!! One of my favorite cities.

Marion

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza but we did the park and sail package so it was $200. It really is a first class hotel. It is the closest hotel to the port so my husband gets off the ship with the very first group and jogs to the hotel to get our car. It's only a few blocks. We are on the road by 8 am. I go to the pursers desk to request the first group. They are so accommodating.

We took the trolley tour in Santa Barbara and it was $35 per person which we booked once we got off the ship in SB so you don't need to reserve it in advance. The trolley that takes you downtown for $1.00 is on a first come first served basis. We waited until after lunch to get off the ship and the line was still very long for that trolley. It was about 20 to 30 min. to catch the next trolley. If you get off the ship early I think you will face a very long line for the trolley to take you to the shopping area.

Frank, I even took pictures of "your" ship! It is amazing that you did this... Thank you!

No, I did not stay at the Crowne Plaza because I live only one hour from the port...

We are waiting to see Alfred and Seymour. We did not make it to the Captain Circle Party as my husband did not have his formal wear...

We had, again, an incredible dinner. Food on this ship has been very good to great! Only one so-so dish in the six dinners we have had. Tonight was lobster, trio of seafood and caviar... It was all great, topped by a wonderful Baked Alaska. Unbelievable food... Saturday is going to be a very sad day indeed, the worst part of the cruise!

Today, we chose to stay on the ship... Watched the Princess Bride and Love Boat on MUTS while sunbathing and swimming. I had the pool all to myself, which was really great. Lunch was a prosciutto and mozarella sandwich and a side of shrimp salad.

We did the Skywalkers elite, platinum and suite lounge, the day they had smoked salmon. We have not returned, maybe because I felt so guilty... I ate so much smoked salmon that I never did go to dinner!:mad:

We also did afternoon tea once and we may do this again tomorrow afternoon... What is this with all this food! :eek:

I am very happy that everyone is enjoying this live from... I will try to do a full review (including photos when I return) but I see that someone posted one a couple of days ago...

Tomorrow is Ensenada, forecast is sunny and 76 degrees. The forecast has the weather in LA at a chilly 64 degrees. Frank, you told me it was supposed to warm up! :)

Until tomorrow y'all! Hasta la manana...

Thank you Sneekpeek. We intend to take the trolley for $35 when we get off early, hopefully, and then go shopping up and down State St. and take the downtown trolley back to the pier. Hope there is great shopping!!!

Marion

Just reading about all the wonderful food you had, makes me drool. I did not know skywalkers served food ....love smoked salmon!!! I usually request it at lunch in Horizon. When does skywalkers serve these yummies? Is it every day?

Marion

Archived