Have you ever had to cancel a cruise, and if so, how close to sailing?

djcass4199

Hey. Just a curious question. Has anyone ever had to cancel a cruise, and if so, how close to sailing date did you have to cancel?

We were supposed to sail on Liberty in a week's time (4/20/13) and we just cancelled 3 days ago because my DW (29) has had a relapse of her disease and the doctor has advised us to stay home for treatment. THANK GOODNESS FOR TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!

What about you guys?

I am a TA and have had clients who had to cancel 1 day prior. Sh*t happens and that's why I make all my clients who decline insurance put it in writing/email.

Excellent idea - my TA does the same thing. You have to protect yourself, especially after reading the way people go after TA's on CC.

Last year we had a cruise booked for April 3rd and canceled on Mar 31 because my husband got changed from a Sept police academy to one that started April 5th. We hadn't actually planned on cancelling we tried to replace my husband with my sister and her son, that led to a whole diferent issue, I was 22 she was 20 (turning 21 on April 10th), they changed the names on the booking added my nephew at which time I started to check us in online and realized my sister and I could not cruise alone together without an "adult" (horrible rule, dont get me started on the face that we are both married working adults) so after 3 months of deciding and carnival listening to my call recordings we got a full refund and immediately booked a cruise for Aug 2012! Crazy situation but it all worked out in the end! I will never cruise without insurance again!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I have my first cruise booked for December and a friend of mine was supposed to go, she had to cancel recently and was pretty upset that she couldn't transfer her down payment to us (because we were on the same cruise) she was only allowed to transfer it to a cruise at a later date...

Had to cancel a 3 day on the Sensation for last Dec. We cancelled it in Nov. but when I booked I was not sure we could make it sense I was having another knee surgery. I booked it with the help of our PVP so I would not loose anything if I had to cancel. She just transferred the deposit to our Breeze cruise this month. If in doubt make sure to choose an option you can change.

I have my first cruise booked for December and a friend of mine was supposed to go, she had to cancel recently and was pretty upset that she couldn't transfer her down payment to us (because we were on the same cruise) she was only allowed to transfer it to a cruise at a later date...

That's only because you booked a restricted fare like Early Saver. If you had booked another fare, Carnival would have refunded back the original card.

We had to cancel a cruise on the Legend a few years ago due to dad's cancer surgery. I think we cancelled a month before and got fully reimbursed with our travel insurance. We never cruise without it because anything can happen.

That's only because you booked a restricted fare like Early Saver. If you had booked another fare, Carnival would have refunded back the original card.

Not me! Haha. I knew about the non refundable deposit and such yada yada yada. She called to cancel thinking giving her circumstances they might do her a favor or something maybe? I have no idea. She wanted to transfer the deposit to me so I could pay her cash for it so she wouldn't lose all her money, but they told her she could transfer only to a later date cruise. I think she is asking a friend of her grandmother who is going in November to help her out.

What's the difference if she's transferring it to the same cruise to someone else or to a later cruise to someone else?

Pretty sure we will be cancelling our October cruise. It will be 5 months before though:) The good news is we booked past guest so we will get a full refund on our deposit. (from what I understand) We just can't justify the airfare cost to Miami. So unless there is a phenomenal sale on air fare we will cancel.

Pretty sure we will be cancelling our October cruise. It will be 5 months before though:) The good news is we booked past guest so we will get a full refund on our deposit. (from what I understand) We just can't justify the airfare cost to Miami. So unless there is a phenomenal sale on air fare we will cancel.

Keep an eye on airfare. I read an article the other day that the absolute best time to book airfare is 21-30 days before your intended trip date. keep those fingers crossed. I hope you are able to go and have a great cruise! :)

Is it costing you $424 per person too? I'm still going on my cruise regardless, but I would like the price to fall. I remember buying two tickets for $358 to Miami; it was 2008, but still!

I'm just not used to that cost.

December 2010 - had to cancel a Med cruise to Egypt two weeks before sailing because DH tore his meniscus and had to have surgery. We had insurance, so all was well with us. But the ship, Brilliance OTS, ran into a storm on the way to Egypt and never made it there, so in the end we considered ourselves lucky.

Morning of :(

I was in Honolulu, broke my ankle the day before sailing, hospital said I needed surgery but it could not be done until the swelling went down - 7-10 days later.

Great, I thought, I will go on the cruise then fly home to Canada for surgery. Called Special Needs at Sea and had a wheelchair delivered to the ship.

The following morning, sailaway day, the insurance company insisted I fly home right away (they paid for First Class flights :D).

Is it costing you $424 per person too? I'm still going on my cruise regardless' date=' but I would like the price to fall. I remember buying two tickets for $358 to Miami; it was 2008, but still!

I'm just not used to that cost.[/quote']

That's a little high but not a show stopper.

With you Snead, when Gerry goes maybe Mickey will bring it back to what it was. Fun Ships at reasonable prices, great service and good food. Mickey's Dad may be rolling over. Hope not but we are done with it for now.

Is it costing you $424 per person too? I'm still going on my cruise regardless' date=' but I would like the price to fall. I remember buying two tickets for $358 to Miami; it was 2008, but still!

I'm just not used to that cost.[/quote']

$476 per person round trip via SW is the best price I can find, and this is flying into FLL. Miami is way overpriced as of now. $1900 in airfare is more then the cruise itself. Crazy! I check all the time. Fingers crossed for a big drop in airfare!

Archived