Passport

bostonian19

Do you have to bring your passports into ports? If not how do they proof you to get back on the ship?

No, there are very few ports where you need a passport. You get back on the ship with your sign and sail card and a picture ID. The only cruises I've been on, I only needed the sign and sail card.

If you do not need you passport for a port, it is a good idea to take a photocopy. I made a photocopy that has my birth certificate and passport on the same sheet. Fold it up, put it in a pocket or handbag, and it gives me a sense of security.

I have a wallet that holds my passport. It is in the zippered front pocket of my pants! If anybody wants to steal it....they will have to take my pants!

Last time my friend was in Italy (2008?) at the Fontana di Trevi, someone got the zippered front pocket of his cargo pants half way opened before his daughter saw what was happening and shouted out :eek:

Fortunately that was the pocket with his guidebook, his wallet was on the other side.

Our passports go into the cabin safe as soon as we get to our cabin. They stay there until we are disembarking. Stolen passports get big $$$$$ for the person who sells them. At one time the ship kept ALL passports that were not US and gave them back at end of the cruise.

However, there have been times when we docked at the Navy pier in Key West we had to show our passports or birth certificates as we were entering the Navy Pier coming back to the ship but, everyone was told this.

Last time my friend was in Italy (2008?) at the Fontana di Trevi, someone got the zippered front pocket of his cargo pants half way opened before his daughter saw what was happening and shouted out :eek:

Fortunately that was the pocket with his guidebook, his wallet was on the other side.

Oh dear! May need to rethink this then. I "assumed" being a front pocket and zipped it would be "safe".

Our passports go into the cabin safe as soon as we get to our cabin. They stay there until we are disembarking. Stolen passports get big $$$$$ for the person who sells them. At one time the ship kept ALL passports that were not US and gave them back at end of the cruise.

However, there have been times when we docked at the Navy pier in Key West we had to show our passports or birth certificates as we were entering the Navy Pier coming back to the ship but, everyone was told this.

We are doing an excursion in Alaska that goes into Canada so we have to take our passports....

Oh dear! May need to rethink this then. I "assumed" being a front pocket and zipped it would be "safe".

He was trying for the "perfect":rolleyes: picture and said the "kids" playing around can get you pretty distracted.

As posted elsewhere, the important stuff is in the safe or in a "hide-a-pouch" and carry one card and only enough cash for the day.

I have one of those RFID, anti-scan neck pouches that I wear under my clothes for the passport and credit cards which I always carry. You don't need it if all is well, but you never know when there might be an emergency and you could be stranded in a foreign country. If the ship has kept my passport I carry a copy.

Archived