Just Wondering

startwin

No, the Front Desk would not.

Hi Kazu! Maybe it depends on who is on the desk. As you remember, I planned the Meet and Greet for our Prinsendam voyage. I personally delivered all the invitations ( your great suggestion). These envelopes were neon colours, I should add. I had a few invites for people who had not given me their stateroom number. I asked the front desk if they could fill in the blanks for those remaining invitations. They not only gave me the numbers, they pulled out a few additional brightly coloured invitations already delivered to cabins where the original occupants had "moved on up";). New occupants or staff must have collected the mail and dropped it off at the desk. New numbers were applied, off I went to deliver the invitations. I will say that I was surprised! Although I wish confidentiality was the absolute rule, maybe it is a matter of interpretation by the desk? Like you, I kept all room info. confidential, maybe the front desk should have also:confused:. I did show the front desk my file, including copies of letters from Seattle etc. Weird ?

Hi Kazu! Maybe it depends on who is on the desk. As you remember, I planned the Meet and Greet for our Prinsendam voyage. I personally delivered all the invitations ( your great suggestion). These envelopes were neon colours, I should add. I had a few invites for people who had not given me their stateroom number. I asked the front desk if they could fill in the blanks for those remaining invitations. They not only gave me the numbers, they pulled out a few additional brightly coloured invitations already delivered to cabins where the original occupants had "moved on up";). New occupants or staff must have collected the mail and dropped it off at the desk. New numbers were applied, off I went to deliver the invitations. I will say that I was surprised! Although I wish confidentiality was the absolute rule, maybe it is a matter of interpretation by the desk? Like you, I kept all room info. confidential, maybe the front desk should have also:confused:. I did show the front desk my file, including copies of letters from Seattle etc. Weird ?

That is sloppy, careless and very poor work IMO

They could not have been less responsible with private information.

I would have been most unhappy with any front office person who shared our cabin number and I would have made that well known. Just plain wrong on so many levels.

I would have been most unhappy with any front office person who shared our cabin number and I would have made that well known. Just plain wrong on so many levels.

Yes, while Geezlouise had very honourable intentions, the front desk staff have no way of knowing who is legit and who is not. I would be very unhappy to see my cabin number handed out to anyone. I may not want the person running the meet and greet to have my cabin number unless I personally chose to give it to her.

I gave out my cabin number for the first time for the Prinsendam cruise coming up next month, but that was because I personally know Kazu and felt comfortable giving the number.

A few years ago when I organized a meet and greet in the NA, some people wanted invitations. I just told them that anyone who wanted an invitation could email me with their cabin number, and those who chose to keep it secret could do so. It was all the same to me. I just posted information on the roll call regarding time and place and we had a very good turnout. I think only four people wanted reminders, which was fine.

I was actually kicked off a roll call and sneered at once for not providing a cabin number.

I agree. They should instead have taken the invitations and had them delivered. As M&G co-ordinator I have at times not had a cabin number and would drop of invites at the front desk to be delivered.

I must admit I found it annoying when the front desk would not give me our friends' cabin number - perhaps if our reservations had been linked, they might have. But on reading subsequent posts I agree that under no circumstances should that info be given out to anyone. A friend of mine who cruises only RCI told me once of a problem she had with a guy who practically stalked her on the ship, and she never, ever gives out her cabin number since that time, including to the Meet & Mingle organiser. But on RCI, you register with them and they send out the invitations.

Yes, while Geezlouise had very honourable intentions, the front desk staff have no way of knowing who is legit and who is not. I would be very unhappy to see my cabin number handed out to anyone. I may not want the person running the meet and greet to have my cabin number unless I personally chose to give it to her.

I gave out my cabin number for the first time for the Prinsendam cruise coming up next month, but that was because I personally know Kazu and felt comfortable giving the number.

A few years ago when I organized a meet and greet in the NA, some people wanted invitations. I just told them that anyone who wanted an invitation could email me with their cabin number, and those who chose to keep it secret could do so. It was all the same to me. I just posted information on the roll call regarding time and place and we had a very good turnout. I think only four people wanted reminders, which was fine.

I was actually kicked off a roll call and sneered at once for not providing a cabin number.

No sneering on our roll call Bobbie (at least I hope not). If some choose not to give cabin numbers then if I run out of invites they just don't get them;) If I have enough - I ask to have them delivered:D NO worries to me other than the effort to make them and want to have them in people's hands. (some have been known to keep them for souvenirs). I put a fair bit of time and effort into my invites so I do like people to get them. if someone doesn't want to give me their cabin number though, that's their choice.

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE should be kicked off a roll call for not wanting to provide info they are not comfortable with. I guess I have been lucky as I have been on very congenial roll calls and that's half the fun - the planning, the roll calls and then the cruise:D

No not weird, surprising. My experience with the front desk is that they will not give out anything. One of our tablemates was seriously ill the last night and they left the MDR. Her husband asked the front desk for our room numbers so he could let us know she was ok and he was refused. Hal did accommodate somewhat. As it was the last night they suggested an email - he could email Seattle and then they would email us seeking permission to link us. Ironically, I ran into him at the atrium so I knew the good news.

It is nice that they had the peoples' envelopes who were upsold - what would have been nicer would have been if they had just delivered them. I, like you traditionally deliver my own. that way I know they get there. And the Prinsendam doesn't take long:D It's all good - we're just trying to do our 'jobs'.

Sapper1

<snip>

Bobbie,

There was a plenty nasty comment made about me for not giving out our cabin number and not attending the M&G. It was clear I was thought of very poorly particularly by someone that to the best of my knowledge I never met. So, it does happen that people who avoid M&G for whatever reason are 'discussed' or not thought of very well.

A good reason to not even say what cruise you'll be on.

No not weird, surprising. My experience with the front desk is that they will not give out anything. One of our tablemates was seriously ill the last night and they left the MDR. Her husband asked the front desk for our room numbers so he could let us know she was ok and he was refused. Hal did accommodate somewhat. As it was the last night they suggested an email - he could email Seattle and then they would email us seeking permission to link us. Ironically, I ran into him at the atrium so I knew the good news.

It is nice that they had the peoples' envelopes who were upsold - what would have been nicer would have been if they had just delivered them. I, like you traditionally deliver my own. that way I know they get there. And the Prinsendam doesn't take long:D It's all good - we're just trying to do our 'jobs'.

You run a no pressure roll call. Everything on the table is optional, which is only one of the reasons it is the very best.

You run a no pressure roll call. Everything on the table is optional, which is only one of the reasons it is the very best.

gee - I hope I'm not running it:eek: but thanks:o

Maybe someone from HAL will notice these points and make sure the Front Desk Policy is established as non-optional. Glad you ultimately found out about your dinner companion's recovery. An email to Seattle for permission to link sounds like overkill. It has been my experience that if I want to connect with another passenger, I can just phone the switchboard and have them put the call through. I guess it isn't always possible to know surnames of dining companions though......

Some people just aren't security savvy . I actually had one woman on the list send me the password to her HAL account:eek:. I had given people the option of providing their stateroom # by private email if they wanted. She had a guarantee and wouldn't have a cabin number till after she left her home. Takes all kinds....:rolleyes: NB Goes without saying that I deleted that info. immediately!!

Maybe someone from HAL will notice these points and make sure the Front Desk Policy is established as non-optional. Glad you ultimately found out about your dinner companion's recovery. An email to Seattle for permission to link sounds like overkill. It has been my experience that if I want to connect with another passenger, I can just phone the switchboard and have them put the call through. I guess it isn't always possible to know surnames of dining companions though......

Some people just aren't security savvy . I actually had one woman on the list send me the password to her HAL account:eek:. I had given people the option of providing their stateroom # by private email if they wanted. She had a guarantee and wouldn't have a cabin number till after she left her home. Takes all kinds....:rolleyes: NB Goes without saying that I deleted that info. immediately!!

WOW:eek: Incredible story.

To clarify on mine (and I probably wasn't clear) The incident happened on the LAST night. He had gone down on disembarkation morning. he knew our last names - but, the staff knew that he would probably not be able to connect with us on the last morning (quite correct). We were off fairly early and would not have received the voice mail;)

Bobbie,

There was a plenty nasty comment made about me for not giving out our cabin number and not attending the M&G. It was clear I was thought of very poorly particularly by someone that to the best of my knowledge I never met. So, it does happen that people who avoid M&G for whatever reason are 'discussed' or not thought of very well.

A good reason to not even say what cruise you'll be on.

To date, my experiences have been more good than bad. I hope that continues but should that change I would probably rethink the countdown clock. The clock is really for my own enjoyment as the excitement builds as I see the days getting fewer.

I have heard that HAL does monitor what is said on these boards so they may well look at this discussion and decide there has to be a firm fleet wide policy.

Did they just happen to recognize him, or did somebody look at everyone's picture until they found a match?

They recognized him right off, then pulled up his picture on the computer to double check what they were thinking.

They said flat out that they couldn't tell me anything, which I presumed beforehand. I was the one who made all the suggestions of them telling him who we were, how to find us, etc. They wouldn't call him due to the hour, and I suggested we write a note, and they deliver it--slip it under the door, in case he was up, and so he would spot it as soon as possible.

I know a little something about protecting privacy, and how to work with that in mind to still get to the objective.

They recognized him right off, then pulled up his picture on the computer to double check what they were thinking.
Thanks. Good thing he was on the same ship ... or were you the only one there that day?

Thanks. Good thing he was on the same ship ... or were you the only one there that day?

They recognized each other from a previous shore excursion we had all been on. It wasn't that early in the cruise, and I believe he had been on the ship for some time. He wasn't a total stranger to us, in a way; we just didn't know each other---if that makes sense to you.

They said flat out that they couldn't tell me anything, which I presumed beforehand. I was the one who made all the suggestions of them telling him who we were, how to find us, etc. They wouldn't call him due to the hour, and I suggested we write a note, and they deliver it--slip it under the door, in case he was up, and so he would spot it as soon as possible.

I know a little something about protecting privacy, and how to work with that in mind to still get to the objective.

The easier we make it for people to accomplish what we need, the better the results. When we are calm and logical and provide reasonable solution to the issue, the better chance we have to receive the help we seek. You were the picture of 'perfect' in that situation. :)

You are kidding me, right?

Wow.!!!!!!

I didn't even know that it was frowned upon to not attend the Meet and Greet... I'm glad our roll call was chill and we ended up meeting and greeting anyway!

You didn't want to meet with those people anyway. ;)

Exactly!

I have seen some roll call leaders demand all kinds of information.... however, to be fair I haven't seen any nastiness towards people who don't choose to give it. I would be leaving a roll call right smartish if that happened to me!

Roll calls and Meet and Greets are great as long as no one gets carried away. Ours last year - as you will recall, Sapper - was fabulous, and over 100 people turned up at the M&G, and we all stayed in touch throughout the cruise. Good times:)

You didn't want to meet with those people anyway. ;)

It was a small roll call anyway and the organiser declared she would not have anything to do with a gathering that included me. One of the members I had been chatting with suggested we meet up with herself and her husband, which we did. They were a lovely young couple and we enjoyed them several times during the cruise.

I suspect another small gathering was held under the radar. It was very bizarre.

I was especially loath to give my cabin number at that point because I was spooked by an anonymous CC related email I had recently received. At that point I took my email out of my signature.

Exactly!

I have seen some roll call leaders demand all kinds of information.... however, to be fair I haven't seen any nastiness towards people who don't choose to give it. I would be leaving a roll call right smartish if that happened to me!

Roll calls and Meet and Greets are great as long as no one gets carried away. Ours last year - as you will recall, Sapper - was fabulous, and over 100 people turned up at the M&G, and we all stayed in touch throughout the cruise. Good times:)

Hopefully it will be just as good next year.

Archived