Just Wondering

startwin

When we were on our last RCI cruise, we got separated from our friends on boarding, and I could not for the life of me remember their cabin number.:( It wasn't one of the behemoth ships, but large enough that we couldn't find them. I went to the front desk and gave the names, but they wouldn't give me the cabin number - however, the guy at front office phoned their room and left a message to contact me. (Unfortunately they spent all day looking for us but we finally connected at dinner:D)

Does HAL have the same policy, does anyone know? There are times when I would NOT want another passenger to know my cabin number, or to have the front office give it out even if they presented my full name. I believe hotels have a policy not to give out room numbers for any reason also, but onboard a ship might be different.

HAL would have done the same thing.

They will not give out cabin numbers to anyone which I think is how it should be.

They contacted the people you wanted to reach and it was for them to provide their cabin number (again), if they wished.

HAL would have done the same thing.

They will not give out cabin numbers to anyone which I think is how it should be.

They contacted the people you wanted to reach and it was for them to provide their cabin number (again), if they wished.

Thanks Sail, I figured if anyone would know it would be you:) That's reassuring.

As sail said they will not give out the number. Once in a similar situation I went to the front desk and they dialed the number and handed me the receiver. Maybe you can dial the front desk from your room and have them transfer the call, as I've had done that in hotels. Or have them paged to call your room.

I know for a fact that HAL won't disclose info about a passenger to another passenger.

When my grandgirl was coming down Santorini on the donkey (donkey?, mule?), another passenger, who we had seen but didn't know, offered to take her picture with her camera.

Unfortunately, the animal took her too far away before he could return the camera. Last contact was calling out that they would meet up on the ship.

But where? When? She looked around for him the rest of the afternoon and evening, but never connected.

She wanted the camera for our excursion the next morning.

We got his picture at the photo shop, and took it to the Front Desk. They were able to identify him, but would tell us nothing. They were happy to deliver a note giving our contact info to him for us.

As sail said they will not give out the number. Once in a similar situation I went to the front desk and they dialed the number and handed me the receiver. Maybe you can dial the front desk from your room and have them transfer the call, as I've had done that in hotels. Or have them paged to call your room.

That's a good idea, I never thought of having them transfer a call. Mind you, our friends never got back to their cabin until it was time to get ready for dinner anyway so we spent the first day looking all over for one another:o

I guess I'm a little paranoid, but I tend to not share my cabin number, even on roll calls - with the exception of my last cruise, where I had scored one of the coveted cabins with the double-wide balcony:D.

Its amazing how times change. On our first cruise 1991 20th anniversary the ship we cruised on gave you a booklet and in it had all the facts about the ship for a cruise and a list of every person and their hometown that cruised that week.

I admit I'm not running around posting my cabin number or my real-life name online but I do wonder why anyone would be concerned about other people on the ship knowing their cabin number? I'm not criticising those who don't share it or anything - I honestly just want to know why people think it shouldn't be shared with other people on the ship.

That's a good idea, I never thought of having them transfer a call. Mind you, our friends never got back to their cabin until it was time to get ready for dinner anyway so we spent the first day looking all over for one another:o

I guess I'm a little paranoid, but I tend to not share my cabin number, even on roll calls - with the exception of my last cruise, where I had scored one of the coveted cabins with the double-wide balcony:D.

I have had the front desk put through a call for me. The advantage is that there is voice mail so the person will get your message and what you want to say:D

I admit I'm not running around posting my cabin number or my real-life name online but I do wonder why anyone would be concerned about other people on the ship knowing their cabin number? I'm not criticising those who don't share it or anything - I honestly just want to know why people think it shouldn't be shared with other people on the ship.

I think part of the concern goes back to the days when you could just give your cabin number for charges. Up until the early 2000's, as I recall, all you got for charges was a light card stock card with your name, cabin number, etc., on it. Sometimes you were asked to show it, sometimes not. I know that once the servers in the Crow's Nest got to know us, and it was our regular hangout so we were up there quite a bit, they'd just bring us the charge slip without asking for the card or our cabin number. Today I think it's pretty much no cabin card, no charge. Personally I don't worry about it too much one way or the other but then again I can't say I automatically announce my cabin number where everybody could see it.

Stalkers, thieves, people who like to charge things to other peoples rooms (in the old days). There are a bunch of reasons why I wouldn't want people to know what room I was in. Let's say I meet someone at dinner, and suddenly show up at my room suggesting we go for a drink or to the lounge? I don't want to be ambushed like that.

It's the same reasons hotels won't give out your room number.

Its amazing how times change. On our first cruise 1991 20th anniversary the ship we cruised on gave you a booklet and in it had all the facts about the ship for a cruise and a list of every person and their hometown that cruised that week.

We sailed Noordam III in about 1992 and back then we did not get the passenger list booklet though I do have a few.

My parents and one grandmother sailed HAL in the 1960's on Rotterdam V (she was a new ship) and they got such booklets. When breaking down my mother's home, I found them.

It would be impossible to distribute such a thing now. :eek: It was a very different time, cruisers and cruising were very different.

But did it have the cabin numbers against the names?

Startwin - I don't think cabin numbers should be posted on the roll call.

I, do however, ask my roll call members to email me with their cabin numbers so I can deliver their meet and greet invites. If they are on private tours with me, I need to reach them if there are any changes as well.

That being said, those cabin numbers are CONFIDENTIAL - I do not give them out to anyone.

Here's an example:When we were on the Prinsendam the itinerary changed and the meet and greet organizer was given a new time because of it. I had a lot of cabin numbers because of our Seville transfer, flamenco show and a few other tours. He contacted me as he knew I most likely had them. I called those 80 people personally and spoke to them or left voice mails. I did NOT give him the cabin numbers:D

<snip>

That being said, those cabin numbers are CONFIDENTIAL - I do not give them out to anyone.

Here's an example:When we were on the Prinsendam the itinerary changed and the meet and greet organizer was given a new time because of it. I had a lot of cabin numbers because of our Seville transfer, flamenco show and a few other tours. He contacted me as he knew I most likely had them. I called those 80 people personally and spoke to them or left voice mails. I did NOT give him the cabin numbers:D

Jacqui,

That is very commendable and responsible but it isn't likely everyone respects privacy as well as you do. I don't think everyone would be so kind to make all those phone calls, take on that task. You are excellent at what you do but I'd be very surprised to hear all M&G organizers are like you. :)

WELL DONE!!!

You are a GEM!

Startwin - I don't think cabin numbers should be posted on the roll call.

I, do however, ask my roll call members to email me with their cabin numbers so I can deliver their meet and greet invites. If they are on private tours with me, I need to reach them if there are any changes as well.

Thanks Jacqui, that's interesting. So if you as the Meet & Greet organiser went to the front desk and asked for someone's cabin number, they would give it to you?

Edited to add..... I admire your energy in organising Meet & Greets - a huge task!

Thanks Jacqui, that's interesting. So if you as the Meet & Greet organiser went to the front desk and asked for someone's cabin number, they would give it to you?

Edited to add..... I admire your energy in organising Meet & Greets - a huge task!

No, the Front Desk would not.

Jacqui,

That is very commendable and responsible but it isn't likely everyone respects privacy as well as you do. I don't think everyone would be so kind to make all those phone calls, take on that task. You are excellent at what you do but I'd be very surprised to hear all M&G organizers are like you. :)

WELL DONE!!!

You are a GEM!

Ah shucks Judy:o It didn't take that long - HAL's voice mail is great. Something like that doesn't happen very often and I wouldn't want anyone to miss a M & G :D

So if you as the Meet & Greet organiser went to the front desk and asked for someone's cabin number, they would give it to you?

No, the Front Desk would not.
But you can leave an envelope with them to be delivered.

I know for a fact that HAL won't disclose info about a passenger to another passenger.

When my grandgirl was coming down Santorini on the donkey (donkey?, mule?), another passenger, who we had seen but didn't know, offered to take her picture with her camera.

Unfortunately, the animal took her too far away before he could return the camera. Last contact was calling out that they would meet up on the ship.

But where? When? She looked around for him the rest of the afternoon and evening, but never connected.

She wanted the camera for our excursion the next morning.

We got his picture at the photo shop, and took it to the Front Desk. They were able to identify him, but would tell us nothing. They were happy to deliver a note giving our contact info to him for us.

Great idea!!

We got his picture at the photo shop, and took it to the Front Desk. They were able to identify him, but would tell us nothing.

Did they just happen to recognize him, or did somebody look at everyone's picture until they found a match?

If I was the man that had the camera I would have turned it in to "lost and found" as soon as I go on board, with a description of your g.d.

Archived