Passports or not?

GadgetRick

True, but that was a large amount of people. Would just a family by themselves be afforded the same? Retorical question.;)

Not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out something.

The government would still help a family by themselves but of course how quickly this would be done depends on a lot of factors. Everyone has to assess their own risks and their own comfort level with that risk, but the fact remains that for US citizens on a closed loop cruise that they may present a government issued birth certificate coupled with a government issued ID for those 16 and older.

We did buy them for a trip - and still have them. We've had to renew DS's already. But we got them for cruising even when they weren't needed.

But you would not buy them just for a trip to Hawaii.

And getting them for cruising on a closed loop cruise is certainly an option, but the same option does not work for everyone.

But you would not buy them just for a trip to Hawaii.

And getting them for cruising on a closed loop cruise is certainly an option, but the same option does not work for everyone.

Look, the OP asked and I answered. We got our passports in 2006 and they weren't necessary according to anyone. But we got them anyway. The OP is going on a cruise, just like we were when we got them. Our first 3 cruises were all roundtrip out of Galveston. I don't understand your problem/point.

Look, the OP asked and I answered. We got our passports in 2006 and they weren't necessary according to anyone. But we got them anyway. The OP is going on a cruise, just like we were when we got them. Our first 3 cruises were all roundtrip out of Galveston. I don't understand your problem/point.

Didn't mean to upset you. You mentioned bringing your passports to Hawaii "just in case" and I think that is why most people get passports for closed loop cruises, "just in case". That's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But there are options to buying a passport and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

I'm actually in the process of deciding between passport cards and books for me and my three girls (my wife has a passport).

To get passport books/cards, from what I've read, your wife will need to know (be there personally or sign a notarized letter) to obtain passports for the kids.

Are BCs enough? Yes.

Personally, I don't recommend going without passports anyway.

We will be flying to HI this summer, and I am packing our passports. Do we need them? No. But I'm taking them just in case.

Didn't mean to upset you. You mentioned bringing your passports to Hawaii "just in case" and I think that is why most people get passports for closed loop cruises, "just in case". That's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But there are options to buying a passport and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

This made me laugh, no offense.

Why would you need a passport when going to Hawaii? We are a state you know!

With the exception on one ship, all Hawaii cruises call on a foriegn port. Most Hawaiian cruises from the west coast of the US stop in Ensenada, Mexico start and end in the same US port.

Many people do use their passport when travelling by domestic air as it is the pre-eminent travel identification.

Archived