Passports or not?

GadgetRick

So, leaving Jacksonville in July and will wind up in the Bahamas. I was told by the guy at Carnival, Passports aren't required when leaving and coming back to a US port. I'm good with a passport myself but my wife's is expired and our kids don't have them.

I was told birth certificates (the official ones) would be enough along with photo ID for us adults.

I have time to get passports but this is a birthday surprise for the wife and I won't be telling her until about a month before the cruise, which wouldn't really leave us enough time to get the passports taken care of without a lot of work.

Thanks.

If you are all US citizens and if your cruise leaves from a US port and returns to the same port going to the Bahamas, a passport is not required. A Birth Certificate issued by the government (not hospital or church) and a government issued photo ID are acceptable. The Photo ID is for person 16 or older. Everyone needs BC.

The only issue is if for whatever reason you had to fly back home (illness, etc.) you would need a passport.

If you think you will be traveling more outside the USA to places such as Europe consider getting a passport.

Keith

I would take yours and your wife's expired one. If the unforseen did happen it would make it a little easier. Also, when you return encourage your wife to renew hers ( if your wife's passport was issued within the last 15 years with no name changes, she can get a new one by mail).

Thanks.

As I said, it's not a question of whether a passport is good or not (my wife's is expired and my kids don't have one yet), rather of timing.

A month is more than enough time to obtain passports, especially if you pay for the expdeited service. So if that is the only issue and you want to get them you can. (But as pointed out it is not required for your cruise.)

A month is more than enough time to obtain passports, especially if you pay for the expdeited service. So if that is the only issue and you want to get them you can. (But as pointed out it is not required for your cruise.)

Right but paying the expedited service x4 is what I don't want to do. :)

So, leaving Jacksonville in July and will wind up in the Bahamas. I was told by the guy at Carnival, Passports aren't required when leaving and coming back to a US port. I'm good with a passport myself but my wife's is expired and our kids don't have them.

I was told birth certificates (the official ones) would be enough along with photo ID for us adults.

I have time to get passports but this is a birthday surprise for the wife and I won't be telling her until about a month before the cruise, which wouldn't really leave us enough time to get the passports taken care of without a lot of work.

Thanks.

When you say "... wind up in the Bahamas..." , I assume you do not mean "wind uo in the Bahamas". Because if you do wind up in the Bahamas, you are not on a closed circuit, and you would need a passport if you ever wanted to get back from the Bahamas.

I know I may get flamed, but you will be on Carnival, which of late has had a run of bad luck.

If it were me in your shoes, the money spent on the passports would be well worth it just in case something would force you to have to fly home. Even the Dpt of State website spells it out on their exit\entry requirements:

Sea Travel: U.S. citizens traveling to The Bahamas by sea on private watercraft or most commercial vessels must have a valid passport. Those traveling by sea on an officially-designated “closed-loop cruise”, meaning that the port of entry is the same port as the port of re-entry upon return to the U.S., may enter using a passport, passport card, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document, however, it is prudent to obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air. (Please verify with your cruise line if your intended cruise is designated a closed-loop cruise.) Travelers arriving via private watercraft are charged docking fees.

We strongly encourage all U.S. citizens to apply for a passport book or passport card well in advance of anticipated travel. You can call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for passports. If you are planning on an extended stay, be prepared to present evidence of financial solvency upon entry to The Bahamas. Visit the Embassy of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas for the most current visa information.

I understand all of the pros of a passport. However, since this is a surprise, I can't very well go to my wife and say, "Ok, we're renewing your passport and getting the kids passports!" She'll certainly be suspicious.

I'm renewing mine anyway due to a trip to Costa Rica I'm taking later in the year. So I'll be covered (getting that taken care of this week actually).

If it were me and my wife, I'd just wait and pay for the expedited service but, start adding charges and more charges with the kids and it starts to be unbearable. A trip which was reasonable quickly starts becoming much more than I'd like.

But thanks for all of the info.

I understand all of the pros of a passport. However, since this is a surprise, I can't very well go to my wife and say, "Ok, we're renewing your passport and getting the kids passports!" She'll certainly be suspicious.

I'm renewing mine anyway due to a trip to Costa Rica I'm taking later in the year. So I'll be covered (getting that taken care of this week actually).

If it were me and my wife, I'd just wait and pay for the expedited service but, start adding charges and more charges with the kids and it starts to be unbearable. A trip which was reasonable quickly starts becoming much more than I'd like.

But thanks for all of the info.

Would it be possible to sell the idea of all of your passports to your wife in a different way. Just throwing it out there something like:

"Hey Hun. I think it would be prudent for all of us to get our passports all set up in the same cycle. Kids will need to renew in 5 years but then they are back on ours 5 years after that."

Its truthful, its not a lie, but rather just showing her the positives.

I know I may get flamed, but you will be on Carnival, which of late has had a run of bad luck.

If it were me in your shoes, the money spent on the passports would be well worth it just in case something would force you to have to fly home. Even the Dpt of State website spells it out on their exit\entry requirements:

Everyone that sailed with CCL got back whether they had a passport or not. When the passengers left St Maarten they were given a letter from CBP which they could use in lieu of a passport.

Would it be possible to sell the idea of all of your passports to your wife in a different way. Just throwing it out there something like:

"Hey Hun. I think it would be prudent for all of us to get our passports all set up in the same cycle. Kids will need to renew in 5 years but then they are back on ours 5 years after that."

Its truthful, its not a lie, but rather just showing her the positives.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Everyone that sailed with CCL got back whether they had a passport or not. When the passengers left St Maarten they were given a letter from CBP which they could use in lieu of a passport.

In cases where a whole shipload needs to be repatriated, the line will seek, and the Gov't will grant exceptions. If an individual needs to fly home because of emergency or missing the ship, they will have to play by existing rules. Citing mass cases to assure individuals is misleading.

In cases where a whole shipload needs to be repatriated, the line will seek, and the Gov't will grant exceptions. If an individual needs to fly home because of emergency or missing the ship, they will have to play by existing rules. Citing mass cases to assure individuals is misleading.

The person I responded to is the one that brought it up and my response was only in clarification of theirs. Citing mass cases to scare people into getting a passport is misleading, too.

True, but that was a large amount of people. Would just a family by themselves be afforded the same? Retorical question.;)

Not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out something.

Archived