Carnival says it will pay US for disabled ships

Dog Drool

Just saw this I would say that got shamed into it.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20130415&id=16354966

Carnival Corp. said Monday it will repay the U.S. government an unspecified amount for the costs to taxpayers of responses to disabling accidents on its Triumph and Splendor cruise ships, both of which left thousands of passengers stranded at sea for days.

Seems to be an attempt to quiet down the negative press the issue has been drawing. Although it doesn't say how much is being voluntarily re-paid, CCL must have calculated the negative press is costing bookings.

John, I agree, this is a bad precedent but CCL has to do something to stop the thrashing they've been enduring.

If this is true, which I hope and pray it is not, then this is going to set a very bad precedent for all search and rescues, whether at sea or on land!!!

As a former Firefighter/EMT who has worked with Search and Rescues, I know the cost can add up quickly for the teams doing the searches and rescues. HOWEVER paying for the service sets up a scenario that may very well lead to missing hikers/boaters never being found due to people being afraid to notify those that should be notified that they have some one missing because of cost(s) coming back to bite them in the behind. Hope that makes sense.....

Just did a Google Search for "Search and Rescue Fees" and found a really great article written about the pros and cons, public vs private, etc... http://www.backpacker.com/blogs/62

While I think possibly that an idiot getting lost (idiot being someone going out with a stroll in mind, no water, no cell phone, not telling anyone where they are going, etc.) should be charged for the costs of finding them, I do not think the majority of Search and Rescues can be classified as searching for idiots. I'd guess that a good 99.99% of Search and Rescues on land and sea are total accidents, child wanders off from back yard or campsite, boat goes adrift at sea, etc....

IMO charging for any search and rescue or help from the Coast Guard and/or Navy should ALWAYS be a free and willing gift from the provider, namely the government of whatever Country is providing the service.

Joanie

Seeing as how the ship was drifting without power perhaps someone should have claimed salvage rights.:eek::D:eek:

I think a ship have to be abandoned before someone can claim salavge rights. If it is still manned then they can only offer salvage services? I'm sure someon on here will correct me if I'm wrong!

I hope this means that Congress won't quibble when they get the bill from the Philippines for the reef that the US Miniesweeper damaged when it grounded earlier this year. Strange how that story didn't make big news even though the ship is a write off.

I think a ship have to be abandoned before someone can claim salavge rights. If it is still manned then they can only offer salvage services? I'm sure someon on here will correct me if I'm wrong!

In general terms, the law of salvage allows that a person who rescues a vessel and/or its cargo when it is in danger of being lost, or who recovers a vessel or its cargo after it was in peril, can make a claim for compensation or reward. What is commonly called "salvage rights" is simply the appropriate reward or compensation given to someone who rescues or recovers another person's ship or cargo. How the value of the reward is decided varies from one country to another, but there are some general rules and principles in common. One of them is that, generally speaking, a salvor is entitled to a reward whether a vessel in danger was abandoned or not. Another rule is that the vessel or cargo needed to have been in danger or peril of loss. A vessel drifting around the sea with dead engine wouldn't normally count as being in peril or danger, although it might be in need of a tow or road side visit from AAA to give a jump start ;-)

International law and convention does not consider the saving of lives to be part of the law of salvage.

Really?

You all sound like you don't know there are International Treaties covering all this namely:

http://www.admiraltylawguide.com/conven/searchrescue1979.html

Any ship at Sea that receives a distress call is bound by treaty to respond and help. This is why when a fishing boat is in trouble a Cruise ship nearby will respond, they have to by International Law.

Carnival has decided to pay the US Government for services rendered, they have no legal obligation too but they make a healthy profit and only pay a combined .06% a year in combine Federal, State, Local and International taxes

I have mixed feelings about this, it is different if it is an individual or individuals being rescued and a major corporation being helped. I can see them asking a major corp to shell out some money for the rescue but not an individual. There is also a difference between it being a life threatening situation and just a disabled ship. One that is sinking is an emergency rescue situation, one that is disabled but still afloat they could have paid tugs to rescue it.

I have mixed feelings about this, it is different if it is an individual or individuals being rescued and a major corporation being helped. I can see them asking a major corp to shell out some money for the rescue but not an individual. There is also a difference between it being a life threatening situation and just a disabled ship. One that is sinking is an emergency rescue situation, one that is disabled but still afloat they could have paid tugs to rescue it.

Both the Triumph and Splendor were towed to port by a private contractor hired and paid for by Carnival.

Archived