Quantum of the Seas - The Mountain Gave Birth to a Mouse

Looking at the Quantum of the Seas renderings...

Wow!

A Ship of the Seas has been squeezed into a modified Celebrity hull :eek: - crammed, narrow bodied.

Where is Royal Caribbean open space?

Where is Royal Caribbean connection to the sea?

Where is Royal Caribbean promenade deck?

Where is Royal Caribbean observation deck?

Where is Royal Caribbean jogging track? (not something painted on the floor between loungers)

Where is Royal Caribbean axial planning?

Where is...

Where is Royal Caribbean?

A nice crane with a flying capsule though.

Reasons for this strange hybrid?

Economy - RCI did not take a risk of building a really new ship?

Shipyard limitations?

FYI the QotS is listed at a greater width than both FREEDOM OF THE SEAS and CELEBRITY SOLSTICE.

Quantum = 135 ft

Freedom = 126.6 ft

Solstice = 121 ft

In addition Quantum is over 100 ft longer than Solstice (1142 ft compared with 1033 ft).

I'm not denying that there are some traits from the Solstice Class (which I love BTW), but this is a completely new design.

pole seems really useless...i wonder how many people it can fit at one time (side note - would be a cool place to get married though)

other "innovations" - not really interested...

water slides - out door jungle gym, etc...would be better...

Extra things on top require modifications to make the ship stable.

QOS may be little longer or wider (at the water line!) but the superstructure is narrow and tall.

I know those numbers but they should not distract anyone from the essence of the case - this is not a Royal Caribbean ship.

FYI the QotS is listed at a greater width than both FREEDOM OF THE SEAS and CELEBRITY SOLSTICE.

Quantum = 135 ft

Freedom = 126.6 ft

Solstice = 121 ft

In addition Quantum is over 100 ft longer than Solstice (1142 ft compared with 1033 ft).

I'm not denying that there are some traits from the Solstice Class (which I love BTW), but this is a completely new design.

QOS may be little longer or wider (at the water line!) but the superstructure is narrow and tall.

I know those numbers but they should not distract anyone from the essence of the case - this is not a Royal Caribbean ship.

I don't agree. I think it's 100% a Royal Caribbean ship. Did you say the same thing about the Radiance Class? After all Celebrity's Millennium and RCI's Radiance Class share many of the same attributes (hull similarities, size, propulsion, etc).

I think the majority will like the new ship, it's just really different, but when I first heard about the Oasis class ship I thought to myself, I have no interest in going on that ship, well, then our mind changed and went on the Allure and loved it. I think like people say, do it once (or twice) to see what it is all about and then go on the freedom/voyager/radiance or whatever you want :)

I just watched the video and I'm a bit underwhelmed.

I guess now there will be more room for me on my beloved Radiance Class ships. All that glass looking out to the ocean.... heaven!!

You've gotten that right..I'm with you ;)

You see this happen with the big conglomerates, lots of interconnected development. It's not necessarily a bad thing. The Celebrity Solstice Class gets rave reviews. So if there's a bit of that DNA in the Quantum Class it could be great for RCI.

When Carnival took over one of their smaller lines (HAL I think) they inherited what would become the Spirit Class. In my opinion they are the nicest and best designed CCL ships in the fleet.

Wow!

A Ship of the Seas has been squeezed into a modified Celebrity hull :eek: - crammed, narrow bodied.

Are you sure of that? Do you work for Meyer Werft? Just because a ship has slight similarities (of which you are scraping the barrel to find any between this and the solstice class) doesn't mean it is the same design.

If you are referring to open spaces internally, such as the Royal Promenade, they haven't shown it yet. It is obvious there is something similar on the deck plans. Wait and see.

I don't understand. There are plenty of areas you can see the sea from. The Two70 lounge has brilliant views of the ocean, and as usual you have all the open deck space up top. If you are referring to the lifeboats being on the same level as the promenade deck blocking a view, that is unavoidable. It is now a requirement that the lifeboats are like that. You can't have the boats embedded in the ship anymore like they used to be.

See above

I'm guessing you are referring to the helipad? We still don't know whether that is accessible or not.

Where is Royal Caribbean jogging track? (not something painted on the floor between loungers)

All of Royal Caribbean's ships excluding the Oasis Class have the jogging track in between the loungers, so I don't know what your complaint is here.

Where is...

Shipyard limitations?

The ship seems very impressive to me. There are some things I dislike, the pod thing being one. That doesn't seem much like Royal Caribbean, and doesn't have a place on a ship.

People moan about not having a 'connection to the sea', but what does that even mean? From what we can see, there is a huge lounge with panoramic ocean views, the dining room appears to have huge glass walls at the back, and there are loads of balcony cabins. Plenty of space to 'connect' with the sea.

Would you rather they threw you in the ocean every now and again just to remind you that you are at sea?

I see the Celebrity Solstice similarities. The hull and interior design looks similar to what I've seen on Solstice class ships. I cannot believe that the classic Studio B and the Royal Promenade are missing. But I will sail this class of ship someday.

I think the majority will like the new ship, it's just really different, but when I first heard about the Oasis class ship I thought to myself, I have no interest in going on that ship, well, then our mind changed and went on the Allure and loved it. I think like people say, do it once (or twice) to see what it is all about and then go on the freedom/voyager/radiance or whatever you want :)

I might agree with you - "the majority will like the ship".

But this statement adds no value. The majority like the Carnival Ecstasy - so what? :)

it's just really different

Yes, it is!

The only question is "different from what?"

To be different is not enough for a new ship. It must be better.

The history of RCI ships is a history of constant improvements and sophistication.

Every new class of ships retained the best features of the previous class and introduced something new, more advanced, more interesting.

This is not the case with the QOS.

RCI and Celebrity have different philosophy.

RCI ships are designed like true cruise ships full of space and energy.

Solstice ships are designed like floating hotels.

An attempt to superimpose RCI cruise ship over a Solstice-like floating hotel is very unnatural.

The major design flaw of the Solstice class is lack of open space.

It looks like the QOS is going to inherit this problem.

I just watched the video and I'm a bit underwhelmed.

I guess now there will be more room for me on my beloved Radiance Class ships. All that glass looking out to the ocean.... heaven!!

Have you gone on a refurbed Vision class yet? They are very similar to Radiance class with lots of glass and a similar layout. You sort of get used to the WJ being at the front. The gym is horrible though but many people don't care about that. The bad little gyms should have been addressed in the revitalization program in my opinion.

Gina

I don't agree. I think it's 100% a Royal Caribbean ship. Did you say the same thing about the Radiance Class? After all Celebrity's Millennium and RCI's Radiance Class share many of the same attributes (hull similarities, size, propulsion, etc).

I did go on Celebrity Infinity and wondered how they could ruin a perfect hull. I hated the layout. There was no tall centrum. You can't walk to the helecopter pad. The weird little curtained compartments in the solarium. The list went on for me. I just didn't like it at all even though I knew it was a very similar ship - on the outside. And I haven't been back to Celebrity.

Gina

pole seems really useless...i wonder how many people it can fit at one time (side note - would be a cool place to get married though)

other "innovations" - not really interested...

water slides - out door jungle gym, etc...would be better...

For an almost private wedding. VERY small.

Gina

Originally Posted by cruisetrail viewpost.gif

Wow!

Are you sure of that? Do you work for Meyer Werft? Just because a ship has slight similarities (of which you are scraping the barrel to find any between this and the solstice class) doesn't mean it is the same design.

Please take a closer look. "Similarities" are not slight.

If you are referring to open spaces internally, such as the Royal Promenade, they haven't shown it yet. It is obvious there is something similar on the deck plans. Wait and see.

Open space is open space - promenade decks, pool decks, observation decks...

I don't understand. There are plenty of areas you can see the sea from. The Two70 lounge has brilliant views of the ocean, and as usual you have all the open deck space up top. If you are referring to the lifeboats being on the same level as the promenade deck blocking a view, that is unavoidable. It is now a requirement that the lifeboats are like that. You can't have the boats embedded in the ship anymore like they used to be.

Please refer to the NCL Breakaway design.

Everything is possible if you have a will.

See above

See above

I'm guessing you are referring to the helipad? We still don't know whether that is accessible or not.

Observation deck on a cruise ship:

9tk58m.jpg

All of Royal Caribbean's ships excluding the Oasis Class have the jogging track in between the loungers, so I don't know what your complaint is here.

RCI ships have beautiful wrap-around promenade deck that serves for all purposes.

4trl0z.jpg

Where is it?

Shipyard limitations?

Answers added.

Thank you.

The ship seems very impressive to me. There are some things I dislike, the pod thing being one. That doesn't seem much like Royal Caribbean, and doesn't have a place on a ship.

People moan about not having a 'connection to the sea', but what does that even mean? From what we can see, there is a huge lounge with panoramic ocean views, the dining room appears to have huge glass walls at the back, and there are loads of balcony cabins. Plenty of space to 'connect' with the sea.

Would you rather they threw you in the ocean every now and again just to remind you that you are at sea?

Lol! Love that last line.

It would be nice to know where the dining room really is. If Two70 is in that windowed area of decks 5 and 6 aft, where in the exterior picture of the model are the windows for the dining room? Usually they are very obvious from the outside. I'm just not seeing it.

Gina

Archived