Quantum of the Seas - The Mountain Gave Birth to a Mouse

I never said the RP and NB were not different, I just said they "resemble" the Solstice Class and they do.

Nope.

You said "Actually many newbuilds resemble the Solstice Class because it's simply that good and efficient of a design."

That means that other designers are copying the Solstice to make their ship "as good and efficient".

This is not true because

1. They do not copy Celebrity, they build absolutely different ships.

2. Solstice design is not efficient. It's full of controversy and omissions.

Yes, the silhouettes on the horizon are similar because all of them look like awkward blocks of flats.

I'll be sailing on both NB and RP so I'll let you know how those compare. Of course QUANTUM will be booked as well, but it will be a while before any of us have the chance to see how she stacks up. I will say out of NB, RP, and QotS, my expectations are highest for QotS. I think she looks pretty awesome.

Your observations will be appreciated. :)

Can you please explain this?

NCL Breakaway has axial planning with divided engine uptakes -

A central engine uptake is an obstacle for ship internal planning.

It leads to dead ends and crooked bypasses.

It's OK for smaller ships but not acceptable for mega ships.

Divided engine uptake allows for axial planning with an open thoroughfare along the ship central line.

This is totally different experience and quality.

15we8aq.jpg

Axial planning is a luxury feature that can be seen on most famous ocean liners ever built - like SS Normandie and RMS Queen Mary 2.

2i1pc43.jpg

Other ships that provide the luxury of axial planning are Royal Caribbean ships from the Voyager class to Oasis class and two largest NCL ships.

Royal Caribbean Freedom Class ship:

35iu1b5.jpg

Axial planning is a must for mega ships.

Not to get anyone mad, it is just a personal observation.

We have cruised RCL for many years and love them. When the Oasis class hit the seas, I was Wowed. With the announcement of the Sunshine class (Quantum) I was truly expecting the new ships to be a little more sophisticated in the Oasis sense. Smaller, but still dramatic. However, after seeing the new pictures of the ship, I mean Bumper Cars, Observation Ball (looks like a crane was not removed), etc. It has given the ship an amusement park feel that has not been the theme for RCL. I know that we will eventually sail on her, but I was just expecting something else from Royal Carribbean. Maybe a little more like the Royal Princess design.

I never said the RP and NB were not different, I just said they "resemble" the Solstice Class and they do. If you look at the basic GA of all three classes of ships, there are similarities without question. How they will differ from a customer experience standpoint remains to be seen. One thing is for certain, they will all suffer from limited top deck space, which basically remains static even as additional decks of cabins are added. The Oasis Class is an exception due to her width. Carnival came up with a partial solution to this with an extended wrap-around Promenade Deck on the Dream Class which is actually quite wonderful, but unfortunately it hasn't relieved crowding on the upper decks as people still want to be by the pools.

I've already sailed on the Solstice Class and generally I really love the design except for the top deck crowding. I'll be sailing on both NB and RP so I'll let you know how those compare. Of course QUANTUM will be booked as well, but it will be a while before any of us have the chance to see how she stacks up. I will say out of NB, RP, and QotS, my expectations are highest for QotS. I think she looks pretty awesome.

Ernie, count me as another fan of the Solstice class. Beautiful ships. I don't do public pools so that area doesn't bother me but I found no crowding issues at all anywhere on the Reflection.

Many cruise lines are boring such as HAL who build floating nursing homes IMHO. Quantum looks great as does the Breakaway. I'm just not a huge fan of the NCL experience but we still may try a breakaway class.

A central engine uptake is an obstacle for ship internal planning.

It leads to dead ends and crooked bypasses.

It's OK for smaller ships but not acceptable for mega ships.

Divided engine uptake allows for axial planning with an open thoroughfare along the ship central line.

This is totally different experience and quality.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I learned something new today and appreciate you taking the time to explain.

I have to admit, i kept thinking... this ship looks like Celeb in some ways.

The struts holding up the top deck, the lifeboats, the hull, elevator bank, the rear fan type structure above the azipods, the way the mid ship balconies are tucked in.

I think the people who think there are structural similarities are on to something. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you.

Can someone post an explanation of this new lifeboat rule??

New build ships must have lifeboat designs like the Solstice now? Not tucked in like Freedom class?

What's the rationale there??

Nope.

You said "Actually many newbuilds resemble the Solstice Class because it's simply that good and efficient of a design."

That means that other designers are copying the Solstice to make their ship "as good and efficient".

This is not true because

1. They do not copy Celebrity, they build absolutely different ships.

2. Solstice design is not efficient. It's full of controversy and omissions.

Yes, the silhouettes on the horizon are similar because all of them look like awkward blocks of flats.

I think you may want to read Cruise Industry News Quarterly and Cruise Business Review. They both have past issues with articles that speak extensively about the efficiencies of the Solstice Class hull design, and how it's being used across multiple brands. These are technical industry experts BTW. What is your qualification?

I think you may want to read Cruise Industry News Quarterly and Cruise Business Review. They both have past issues with articles that speak extensively about the efficiencies of the Solstice Class hull design, and how it's being used across multiple brands. These are technical industry experts BTW. What is your qualification?

No problem.

The Solstice class is lacking features that best ships offer (promenade deck, separate open pool area for adults, hydropool at spa, jogging track).

It suffers from insufficient open deck space.

It has only two stairwell places along the ship vs 3-4 on classy ships.

Cabins - narrower than standard, many balconies with obstructed views, huge overhang with struts placed on balconies, expensive cabins placed under the buffet, etc..

I would be very quiet about "efficiency" of this design.

I would say: "I like it". That's enough.

Qualification: first hand experience with the Solstice class and all major cruise ships, most detailed Solstice class ships review.

Now you are switching the topic to "efficiency of the Solstice Class hull design". Are you inviting us to look at the structures below the main deck and the underwater hull shape?

This is a completely different thing that is out of scope for this discussion.

These are technical industry experts BTW.

Links to the original sources will be highly appreciated!

Thank you for your input.

Can someone post an explanation of this new lifeboat rule??

That is interesting.

What is this?

1. A new lifeboat rule (safety)? Since when? For all ships or for certain GT? For lifeboats only?

2. Just physics - some lifeboats are too big and heavy to be placed as usual?

3. Thirst for money - tucked in lifeboats reduce GT that they can sell. Putting lifeboats on the deck is taking our (consumers') space that has been already paid for.

4. ??

SS Ile de France is famous for its revolutionary decor (art deco) of public rooms.

But not many people remember that SS Ile de France was the first major liner to introduce suspended lifeboats in 1920s.

That was another great change that provided more space and convenience for the passengers.

Lifeboats on the deck - this older model was used on RMS Titanic.

No problem.

The Solstice class is lacking features that best ships offer (promenade deck, separate open pool area for adults, hydropool at spa, jogging track).

It suffers from insufficient open deck space.

It has only two stairwell places along the ship vs 3-4 on classy ships.

Cabins - narrower than standard, many balconies with obstructed views, huge overhang with struts placed on balconies, expensive cabins placed under the buffet, etc..

I would be very quiet about "efficiency" of this design.

I would say: "I like it". That's enough.

Qualification: first hand experience with the Solstice class and all major cruise ships, most detailed Solstice class ships review.

Now you are switching the topic to "efficiency of the Solstice Class hull design". Are you inviting us to look at the structures below the main deck and the underwater hull shape?

This is a completely different thing that is out of scope for this discussion.

Links to the original sources will be highly appreciated!

Thank you for your input.

Oh so your experience is just that of a cruise passenger? Well that probably doesn't hold much weight as many of us on here are experienced cruise passengers. I've been following the industry for well over 20 years, have worked in the industry, and have taken just shy of 100 cruises on every major line and many not so major. Even so I'm no expert, but I do read all the trade publications (not geared for consumers), attend Seatrade, and read the technical specs for all new ships. I also try to sail on all the new ship designs for first hand experience.

When I mentioned "efficient design", I was speaking of the technical aspects of the Solstice Class, and yes, many experts in the industry have validated how efficient the Solstice Class is, and the fact that several other cruise lines have essentially copied these efficiencies on their own newbuilds.

Regarding the links, you will have to subscribe to the publications. They are not an online service, although Cruise Business Review, Cruise Industry News Quarterly and DESIGNS do provide limited teaser content online. You can google them if you are interested.

What is this?

1. A new lifeboat rule (safety)? Since when?

Yes there has been a change to lifeboat regulations that is fairly recent, but it doesn't have to do with placement, but size. OASIS OF THE SEAS was the first passenger ship permitted to have larger lifeboats that can hold more than the standard 150 count. Since then there have been several ships introduced with larger scale lifeboats. Several years back, regulations changed regarding placement of lifeboats, meaning how high above the water line they can be. There have been exceptions to the rule granted, with QM2 being one of those exceptions.

One change we will likely see in the future is the percentage of lifeboats to total person capacity of the ship. As inflatable life rafts become more sophisticated and safe it's likely we will see the allowable percentage of this type of survival craft increase. This is already the case with ferries that run closer to shore, and with the new SOLAS "safe return to port" requirement, restrictions on inflatable life rafts may be eased.

Your weight or my weight has little importance when we talk about ships facts. :):)

Could you please be specific: what facts about the ship you are talking about?

Not just "technical aspects", what exactly?

Hull design, propulsion, lighting, electric generation, Bridge layout & design, and placement of life-saving equipment. For most passengers these technical aspects are meaningless but they can impact the passenger experience such as the placement of life-saving equipment. The Solstice Class set new standards of efficiency on many aspects of technical design, of which some have been repeated and even improved upon by other lines.

If you are into technical reading about passengers ships, things that go way beyond what time the midnight buffet is and how much to tip, I suggest you subscribe to one or all of the publications I mentioned previously. I don't pretend to understand everything I read in these publications, but I do gain a little more than average knowledge.

My biggest complaint is that it appears many balconies will now look directly down onto life boats vs. looking directly down onto the water on other classes.

If you pick a cabin on a higher deck, it shouldn't be a concern. Also keep in mind the lifeboats are not extending completely outside the hull such as on NORWEGIAN EPIC and OASIS OF THE SEAS.

The balconies are more recessed like on the Radiance Class, so the higher up the better view.

Hull design, propulsion, lighting, electric generation, Bridge layout & design, and placement of life-saving equipment. For most passengers these technical aspects are meaningless but they can impact the passenger experience such as the placement of life-saving equipment.

OK, thank you.

Just a little.

What about hull design?

A few facts?

And please compare your answer with your original statement.:)

My biggest complaint is that it appears many balconies will now look directly down onto life boats vs. looking directly down onto the water on other classes.

This problem has been inherited from the Solstice class design.

RCI Freedom Class vs Celebrity Solstice Class:

2njhu90.jpg

OK, thank you.

Just a little.

What about hull design?

A few facts?

And please compare your answer with your original statement.:)

If you want an education read the publications.

This problem has been inherited from the Solstice class design.

RCI Freedom Class vs Celebrity Solstice Class:

Actually the issue as more to do with the recessed balconies than the lifeboat placement. Recessed balconies are necessary for stability reasons depending on the width of the ship. The Radiance Class is the perfect example. The same problem exists even though this class has a traditional promenade deck.

If you pick a cabin on a higher deck, it shouldn't be a concern. Also keep in mind the lifeboats are not extending completely outside the hull such as on NORWEGIAN EPIC and OASIS OF THE SEAS.

Not exactly so.

Lifeboats on the Oasis Class create minimum to no obstruction.

ehaogz.jpg

Not exactly so.

Lifeboats on the Oasis Class create minimum to no obstruction.

Actually it is exactly so. The lifeboats on the Oasis Class DO extend completely from the hull, which is what I wrote. The difference is that the balconies also extend outward from the superstructure. This is possible due to the extreme width of the ship.

This is not the case on the Radiance Class, QotS, and many other ships.

Also, the pic you chose to post is from a high deck. If you have a balcony cabin on Deck 6 on the Oasis Class, you will be looking directly over the top of the lifeboat and can't look straight down onto the ocean. Location is everything. This is why I recommended choosing a balcony cabin on a higher deck on QotS or on a variety of other ships that share the same concern.

Actually it is exactly so.

Not very.

Your answer was confusing and required clarification.

The OP is concerned of obstructed views (from the superstructure) that is a minimum of a problem (if any) on the Oasis class, but is a problem on the NCL Epic, Solstice, etc.

Archived