Travel Guard Insurance

chaunceyb

Had to cancel a river boat cruise due to serious illness of a sibling - Travel Guard is dragging their feet on our claim and has sent our claim to arbitration. Please think twice about purchasing insurance from Travel Guard. They give great service until it is time to pay out a claim !

Actually Travel Guard is one of the top notch companies in the business. I've had claims with them and found them to be very fast with a check once I fullfilled my portion of the agreement.

It also sounds like the process is working as designed. According to your post, your claim is in arbitration.

I'm going to make an assumption that you filed a claim you feel should be covered, and that Travel Guard feels the claim is not covered or insufficient documentation has been provided...... Therefore,,, arbitration.

That's the way it's supposed to work.

Had to cancel a river boat cruise due to serious illness of a sibling - Travel Guard is dragging their feet on our claim and has sent our claim to arbitration. Please think twice about purchasing insurance from Travel Guard. They give great service until it is time to pay out a claim !

I can't agree. I've had valid claims paid very promptly by TG; they are not a fly-by-night company.

You don't provide enough information for anyone to help you. However, a TG Gold Policy states this regarding cancellation due to a family member's illness:

If the Insured must cancel or interrupt his/her Trip due

to Injury or Sickness of a Family Member not traveling

with the Insured, it must be because their condition is

life-threatening, as certified by a Physician or because

they require the Insured’s care.

If your sibling did not require your care, or if their Physician did not state this condition was life threatning, you won't be covered. If this is the case, TG is simply following the terms of the policy you purchased.

They have had our claim for two months. The problem with companies like Travel Guard and United Airlines, is their total lack of customer service and communication. You cannot speak to anyone in Travel Guard claims department so you really never know what they need or is missing from your file. You call United and you get someone in India or the Philippines that can barely speak English. You get transferred to United's refund department and you get a recorded message saying they are too busy to take your call. If I treated our clients like this we would be out of business in an instant !

They have had our claim for two months. The problem with companies like Travel Guard and United Airlines, is their total lack of customer service and communication. You cannot speak to anyone in Travel Guard claims department so you really never know what they need or is missing from your file. You call United and you get someone in India or the Philippines that can barely speak English. You get transferred to United's refund department and you get a recorded message saying they are too busy to take your call. If I treated our clients like this we would be out of business in an instant !

Sorry to hear about your situation. Having problems and needing help is one reason we purchase our insurance thru tripinsurancestore. Steve, the owner, or one of his reps is always available to help you with any problems especially claims. They will go to bat for you and work to get the problem resolved. I sincerely hope you are able to get your problem resolved.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Having problems and needing help is one reason we purchase our insurance thru tripinsurancestore. Steve, the owner, or one of his reps is always available to help you with any problems especially claims. They will go to bat for you and work to get the problem resolved. I sincerely hope you are able to get your problem resolved.

I second your statement. Knowledgable and friendly people to deal with. We`ve bought our insurance thru them on several occasions. Used their services today for an upcoming land vacation.

They have had our claim for two months. The problem with companies like Travel Guard and United Airlines, is their total lack of customer service and communication. You cannot speak to anyone in Travel Guard claims department so you really never know what they need or is missing from your file.

So who do you talk to when you dial the claims line?

I've filed multiple claims with TravelGuard and never had a substantial issue...

To: 6rugrats: You must sell Travel Guard insurance ! They are reconsidering our claim after we provide a letter from a doctor - my complaint is that they just denied with no communication. They could have called or emailed saying please provide this letter. I think they were hoping that we would just accept the denial. Like most insurance companies, the less claims they pay out the more money they make !

You must sell Travel Guard insurance !

Why do people always resort to this ridiculous accusation? People provide posters with information, or ask reasonable questions to try and understand exactly what they are ranting about, and the poster immediately accuses them of working for the insurance agency/airline/cruise line, etc.

I also have never had a problem with Travelguard and have filed several claims with them. However, I sent the correct paperwork and followed up each step of the way.

And, no, I certainly don't work for them.

You must sell Travel Guard insurance ! They are reconsidering our claim after we provide a letter from a doctor - my complaint is that they just denied with no communication. They could have called or emailed saying please provide this letter. I think they were hoping that we would just accept the denial. Like most insurance companies, the less claims they pay out the more money they make !

No, I certainly don't sell Travel Guard... a cursory Googling will reveal I'm an engineer for a computer company.

For legal reasons, all communication to you is done via postal mail. E-mail is not considered a reliable enough delivery mechanism for communicating with you to comply with insurance regulations. And privacy rules make calling you also problematic. (HIPAA and all...)

You can, however, monitor your claim status online, and if it comes back with "needs documentation", or "denied", you can call the claims line (US-based in my experience) and get it worked out.

And yes, a claim is denied until approved.

My rule is, when filing insurance claims, to answer every question they might have before they ask; it speeds things up immensely. I had to file a claim when my Dad needed a bypass. In addition to their standard one-page form and medical records release, I also provided them with copies of the radiology report and surgical referral, with the really juicy parts circled. The total claim was 24 pages. It worked like a champ, and they cut me my check in about 10 days. (A later claim, for a trip delay, was 42 pages.)

Archived