Is this common on Oceania?

Christine Frances

Last night I received a call from a Personal Vacation Planner at Oceania. We have a cruise booked already through a travel agent (our first on Oceania), but I have a couple more in the "saved cruises" section. He tried very hard to get me to book one of those, telling me there was no risk since the cruise is June, 2018. I told him we have had the same travel agent for years and I would be using her. He said to book with him directly and both she and he would get full credit. He was persistent and followed up with an email with everything he said. I sent it to my travel agent. She was as stunned as I was. I think she'll be calling Oceania this morning. I checked yes on my profile to indicate that I have my own travel agent and her name is on our booking. Upsetting to a newbie.

So true. I had NO intention of booking Oceania despite the onslaught of brochures. And then an itinerary caught my eye..............Booked!

Sort of the same with us. We always have the intention of cruising with Oceania but do not always see what we want. The mailings help to keep us informed as to what is out there. Especially for 2018. Keep them coming for us.

Last night I received a call from a Personal Vacation Planner at Oceania. We have a cruise booked already through a travel agent (our first on Oceania), but I have a couple more in the "saved cruises" section. He tried very hard to get me to book one of those, telling me there was no risk since the cruise is June, 2018. I told him we have had the same travel agent for years and I would be using her. He said to book with him directly and both she and he would get full credit. He was persistent and followed up with an email with everything he said. I sent it to my travel agent. She was as stunned as I was. I think she'll be calling Oceania this morning. I checked yes on my profile to indicate that I have my own travel agent and her name is on our booking. Upsetting to a newbie.

Yes very annoying

I would also call Oceania & complain

When they have called us as recently as last month when I say I have an agent they say OK

Never any pressure to book with them

Lyn

Yes very annoying

I would also call Oceania & complain

When they have called us as recently as last month when I say I have an agent they say OK

Never any pressure to book with them

Lyn

Interesting that they have never called us. Maybe it is because we have 10+ cruises.

Interesting that they have never called us. Maybe it is because we have 10+ cruises.

Lucky maybe

We also have 10 + cruises

If you put cruises in the Saved section of "My Account" it seems to trigger a phone call :mad:

Lucky maybe

We also have 10 + cruises

If you put cruises in the Saved section of "My Account" it seems to trigger a phone call :mad:

Good to know. We do not do that. No reason, just don't. Since we do not want phone calls (have a great T/A) we will make sure to not post saved cruises in the future. Thanks

I had to set up a profile (did that a couple of years ago) to get into the information on an itinerary. You just can't in without it. My phone number is there. I still don't know why I have to give Oceania my address, phone and email just to look at specific sailings.

So they can track you..

Jancruz1:mad:

So they can track you..

Jancruz1:mad:

I can see that but we have been members of the Oceania club for years and they have had all our information for years. Just happy that we are not getting the phone calls.

I was trying to figure out how much the air allowance was by looking at prices with and without air. Is there a better way to do it?

I know it sounds strange but you can use this device called a telephone.... then you actually can talk and ask questions and get answers you understand... The concept that you must do everything on a computer is an acquired ,disability many fall victim to.. a sad dependence on a box of electronic junk.... The more you use your computer for everyday life the more the computer uses YOU to take over your life in the guise being so helpful... Remember HAL

I know it sounds strange but you can use this device called a telephone.... then you actually can talk and ask questions and get answers you understand... The concept that you must do everything on a computer is an acquired ,disability many fall victim to.. a sad dependence on a box of electronic junk.... The more you use your computer for everyday life the more the computer uses YOU to take over your life in the guise being so helpful... Remember HAL

Or a best of both worlds compromise

https://www.wired.com/2012/04/two-cans-and-a-string-technology-updated-for-age-of-mobility/

2-Cans-and-a-String Technology Updated for Age of Mobility

tincans.jpg

Statistical data shows that the average American moves once every 5 years, so I'm thinking that Oceania asks us to update our information periodically just in case.

Wallpapers-on-Changes-6-1024x627.jpg

We have to update every time we take a cruise. So that is not what it is for us.

We have to update every time we take a cruise. So that is not what it is for us.

LOL, you take everything SO literally-

The point is that people in today's World don't stay in one place, so they re-take the information rather than assuming.

The survey where I got the 5 year estimate said that most Americans live in 12 homes over the course of the average lifespan

LOL, you take everything SO literally-

The point is that people in today's World don't stay in one place, so they re-take the information rather than assuming.

The survey where I got the 5 year estimate said that most Americans live in 12 homes over the course of the average lifespan

Well you are pretty close. I have lived in 9 home since I was born but I am sure the first 3 there was no info about me since I was very little. So we are down to 6. The first 3 of those I could not afford to cruise and if I did I had no time since I had to work and kids to raise. When you live by stats you do not know how the real world really lives. Look at your life and then ask your friends. Bet it does not come close to these numbers. After reading these posts and mine don't know what we are really doing here. Marketing calls, mailings etc. Not very meaningful to our lives going forward. Lets talk about something important and move on. Like I said in an earlier post would be nice to meet you on a cruise and talk about all these thing in depth. Have a great night.

Not sure what all the angst is over filling out the passenger info. Since college and getting out of the Army (we won't count those relos), as a corporate professional, I had nine (9) relocations (plus two extra moves) over 33 years. Of course there is always the passport info to keep updated. Passports are now good for ten (10) years, except I had to turn my last one in almost a year early so to juggle my schedule and have time to send off for a visa that required six (6) months remaining on my passport. Then there is the issue of next of kin notification. Since retiring and living in this house for seven years, my daughter (my next of kin) has moved three times! Oops, more updates!

As Stan and Jim point out, while a few cruisers live in the same house for 50 years and their children either never move out or never relocate either, that is probably not the story for most of us! Updating the Profile is short and painless! :rolleyes: