Suggestions of store(s) for Pasta Set (bowls) in Rome

2specialkidsforme

I was just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions of shops to stop in - I am going to be staying right near the Trevi fountain and one item I would love to purchase is a pasta bowl set. I have seen before in the states at Crate and Barrel, etc. But wanting to find a set that will always remind me of my first trip to Rome.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I was just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions of shops to stop in - I am going to be staying right near the Trevi fountain and one item I would love to purchase is a pasta bowl set. I have seen before in the states at Crate and Barrel, etc. But wanting to find a set that will always remind me of my first trip to Rome. "

You are staying in a great area. You will be able to walk to all the major sights. I wish I could remember the name of the shop, but I can't. Last year, I bought some great pottery in a little shop near the Patheon. From the Trevi Fountain area follow the blue arrows to the Patheon. You will go down little pedestrian walkways. There will be lots of little shops and restaurants. I believe this shop was on a corner. They will ship your items home for you. Or, if you want to carry with you, they will pack very carefully for you. They had a big sign in the window that said will ship. I will be back home next week and will look at the bottom of my pieces and will post again with the information. Just an FYI, I bought beautiful pieces in Turkey. It was expensive, but they are very unique. It cost about $250 to ship it home.

I was just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions of shops to stop in - I am going to be staying right near the Trevi fountain and one item I would love to purchase is a pasta bowl set. I have seen before in the states at Crate and Barrel, etc. But wanting to find a set that will always remind me of my first trip to Rome.

Lots of pottery shops in Rome. :) Unfortunately, I cannot remember most of the shop names.

There are some lovely pottery/ceramics at Deluca Pottery. Address: Via Nice, 69 / d. Rather out of the way if you are staying near Trevi ... you could take Trams 2, 3 or 19 to get to the store.

Much closer to Trevi, there is La Foglia (The Leaf). Location: Via dei Canestrari/Corso dei Rinascimento. It is located between the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, so it is easily reached on your visit to either of these venues. It is only a 12 minute walk from Piazza di Trevi. :)

There is a huge department store not to far away...anyone can direct you...and I am sure you can find something there unless you want to get them at a small boutique type store.I generally always shop at dept. stores for some great buys in large cities.

Rome isn't the best place for buying ceramics. It isn't a ceramics center. Ceramics that you want come from Tuscany and Umbria. If you are going to Florence, you may have better luck there. It would be even better if you could get to Montelupo, just outside of Florence. It is one of the major sources for ceramics.

Also, unless you have a way to transport the items yourself, you will pay a hefty price for shipping, most likely more than the price of the bowls themselves.

There is a huge department store not to far away...anyone can direct you...and I am sure you can find something there unless you want to get them at a small boutique type store.I generally always shop at dept. stores for some great buys in large cities.

I think this is a great idea. I agree that shopping in a local department store gives you more of an idea of what locals buy as opposed to the (sometimes) more touristy little shops -- not that those shops don't have beautiful pieces, I just doubt it's what an Italian family is likely using to dish up their pasta in....

I was just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions of shops to stop in - I am going to be staying right near the Trevi fountain and one item I would love to purchase is a pasta bowl set. I have seen before in the states at Crate and Barrel, etc. But wanting to find a set that will always remind me of my first trip to Rome. "

You are staying in a great area. You will be able to walk to all the major sights. I wish I could remember the name of the shop, but I can't. Last year, I bought some great pottery in a little shop near the Patheon. From the Trevi Fountain area follow the blue arrows to the Patheon. You will go down little pedestrian walkways. There will be lots of little shops and restaurants. I believe this shop was on a corner. They will ship your items home for you. Or, if you want to carry with you, they will pack very carefully for you. They had a big sign in the window that said will ship. I will be back home next week and will look at the bottom of my pieces and will post again with the information. Just an FYI, I bought beautiful pieces in Turkey. It was expensive, but they are very unique. It cost about $250 to ship it home.

Thank you for the information and for checking - when you get home do you have a picture to show us what you bought? Thank you again!

THANK YOU EVERYONE - I appreciate your help so much. Can't wait to go and see the little shops you have mentioned as well as check out the department store. I am glad too to have a heads up to expect shipping to be a lot - won't be shocked at the register then.

Again, thank you for sharing!

Are you going to be any place other than Rome? If you have your heart set on buying the dishes in Rome, you've got suggestions. If you're going to be in other towns, let us know. We may have some good ideas too.

Are you going to be any place other than Rome? If you have your heart set on buying the dishes in Rome, you've got suggestions. If you're going to be in other towns, let us know. We may have some good ideas too.

Do you know where to buy them in Milan then?

Thank you for the information and for checking - when you get home do you have a picture to show us what you bought? Thank you again!

I have been trying for the longest time to get the pictures on. So here it is,but will have to do one at a time because I can't seem to do it right. Anyway, I was trying to be very careful about using a reputable shop. Copies from China are everywhere on everything. I wanted to be sure the pottery was food safe not just for decoration. I don't remember what we paid, but the shop is near the Patheon on a corner and very reputable.

image.jpg.cd6e9ca840903bfe7d6b936edbe83a05.jpg

I do t know why the pictures are upside down. Can't some one tell me how to put nice pictures on the post. It will not let me add anymore pictures. Thank you.

image.jpg.a6756e5ed80e1b1270db5b009a943fb7.jpg

Enjoy your trip. We absolutely loved Rome. We went to a restaurant called L'Archetto it is not to far from Trevi fountain. Standing with your back to the fountain, walk up the street on your left until you get to L'Archetto Street. It was very good, but all the restaurants are good in Rome. Looking forward to hearing about your trip. I think if you click on my name you will see all of my posts. i did a review on our 20 day Med cruise you may enjoy reading it. Safe travels.

I think you may have better selection in Florence. I wish you had time to stop on the train in Montelupo (it's just before Florence). It's one of the homes of Italian ceramics (with Deruta, Orvieto). The main street is filled with ceramics stores. You just have to be careful of what you are buying (as always).

For Florence, if you do a web search, you'll find quite a few recommendations.

8677209201_5258759c4d_m.jpg

8677210925_e5ddbb69d6_m.jpg

8678312382_99b0b5e04e_m.jpg

These are the ones that got away because I hesitated. We were taking a quick walk around Orvieto and saw wonderful ceramics. I regret not getting something.

Another place I saw similar things was in the Amalfi Coast area where shops were closed because it was a Sunday. Can you tell I like sunflowers??

Archived