white pass railway

molsonschooner

I found this on the WPYR site that is a milepost guide along the rails. Does anyone know if there are any others? This one turned out being 12 pages when printed.

http://www.wpyrmediakit.com/mediakit/milepostguide.html

I've been on the Lake Bennett excursion twice, both times coming into Skagway from Carcross. It's an amazing trip and this guide is really informative. In fact I printed it out so I can sit down and read it! We have so many pictures from the trip but we forget exactly what the story behind some of the pictures is. You will have a guide on the train but you want to take in all the scenery so maybe read this in advance so that you will be prepared for what is to come!

I love to be on a ship that is docked at the Broadway Dock. It's so cool to be at the foot of the main street with the name of your ship posted to welcome you!

Thanks for posting this link!

Below is based upon our personal experience.

SKAGWAY’S BEST VIEWS BY TRAIN AND BUS

For the best view sit by a window as follows:

By train:

Leaving Skagway sit on the left side of the train.

Leaving Fraser sit on the right side of the train.

By bus:

Leaving Skagway sit on the right (passenger) side of the bus.

Leaving Fraser sit on the left (driver) side of the bus.

So bus up = right

Train down = left

We also made this recent decision booking private vs ship for our May cruise visit. We ended up going with Chilkoot, bus up and train back as we wanted the combination that left at 8:30am which will take approx 3 hours giving us the afternoon in town. The price wasn't much different but the ship would have only been train up and back. We booked very easily directly online and I think we made the best decision for us after reading many reviews.

You won't regret booking with Chilkoot. We had an excellent time with them last September. It was the highlight of our cruise (aside from a whale breaching while I looked out the window of the sauna)

You will have a guide on the train but you want to take in all the scenery so maybe read this in advance so that you will be prepared for what is to come!

So nice there is also a guide onboard. We’ve been to Skagway several times but have yet to ride the train. My wife’s grandfather was a section foreman on the WPYR and died of a heart attack while working one day in the early 1900’s. We’re both pretty excited about having the opportunity to take the train.

NO!!!!!

So bus up = right

Train down = left

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamboatin viewpost.gif

By train:

By bus:

If you are going by bus from Skagway to Fraser sit on the right (passenger) side of the bus.

On return by train from Fraser sit once again on the right side of the train for the ride back to Skagway.

So both ways you would be riding on the right side of both the bus and train if you go up by bus and back by train.

NO!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamboatin viewpost.gif

By train:

By bus:

If you are going by bus from Skagway to Fraser sit on the right (passenger) side of the bus.

On return by train from Fraser sit once again on the right side of the train for the ride back to Skagway.

So both ways you would be riding on the right side of both the bus and train if you go up by bus and back by train.

Hope this won't be too hard to manage getting seats on the right..We'll be with Chilkoot..Looking forward to this since we missed doing this excursion last visit.

Thanks so much.

I used Chilkoot 2 years ago for bus up and train down. They met us about a one minute walk from the ship with a mini van. There were 3 passengers, us + 1 and the driver/ guide stopped whenever we asked.

On the way down we had a private rail car for the 2 of us ( the third passenger got on a different car) The cars for the bus passengers were full and there were hundreds of passengers

Definately agree with right on Bus up and right on Train down.

I was so satisfied with them that yesterday I booked with them for my friends in July

Thanks for the info on where to sit and all the other great information. I was going to book with the cruise line, but you all are making me rethink that. I have some mobility issues and don't want to have to walk too far to catch the mini-van, but you said they park pretty close to the ship? That might work for me.

This is absolutely correct. Sit on the right of the bus on the way up from Skagway and again sit on the right side of the train on the return to Skagway from Fraser. Did this last summer and it was fantastic.

Hope this won't be too hard to manage getting seats on the right..We'll be with Chilkoot..Looking forward to this since we missed doing this excursion last visit.

Thanks so much.

MANY people don't have a clue. I suggest you just take a seat on the side you want- and don't run up and down the aisle trying to figure out the "best".

Thanks for the info on where to sit and all the other great information. I was going to book with the cruise line, but you all are making me rethink that. I have some mobility issues and don't want to have to walk too far to catch the mini-van, but you said they park pretty close to the ship? That might work for me.

On the RR dock, there usually is a golf cart, available for mobility impaired people. This would bring you right to the Chilkoot pick up area. It's just steps off the ship from the other two docks.

Thanks for the recommendations!! Booked the White pass tour with Chilkoot, they only had spaces on the 12pm going up by rail and coming back by bus :)

I am also doing the Days of 98 show at 10:30am, this *should* end at 11:30am or so, I see Skagway is super small so i'm thinking it should take only 5 mins to walk back to the pier to meetup with the Chilkoot group.

Can anyone tell me whether the am or pm train would be best - weather-wise? Thanks, Laurie

Makes no difference. You can NOT predict any weather in Alaska. You are likely to "hear" of more fog in the am, it can happen any time.

Instead, I suggest you make your plans on your ENTIRE day and have good timing, allowing you to do as you wish.

Can anyone tell me whether the am or pm train would be best - weather-wise? Thanks, Laurie

I was trying to find out about this as well. I’ve read posts about fog in the morning but it doesn’t appear to be consistent. I did read a couple of posts that said the last afternoon train sometimes has fewer people so there is potential for better seats and viewing.

Thanks for the recommendations!! Booked the White pass tour with Chilkoot, they only had spaces on the 12pm going up by rail and coming back by bus :)

I am also doing the Days of 98 show at 10:30am, this *should* end at 11:30am or so, I see Skagway is super small so i'm thinking it should take only 5 mins to walk back to the pier to meetup with the Chilkoot group.

OK now for you all it will be the LEFT side of the train going up and the LEFT side of the bus coming down. This is because you are traveling differently than the previous poster. So for you all the best views will be on the LEFT side of your mode of transportation.

Budget Queen previously explained that there is a valley between the road and rail lines. At times the roadway and train tracks are miles apart. It is the valleys and lakes between the roadway and the train tracks that you wish to see.

Remember that it is LEFT side both ways for you all.

MANY people don't have a clue. I suggest you just take a seat on the side you want- and don't run up and down the aisle trying to figure out the "best".

I'll sit on the right and "no" I'm not the kind of person to ever run up and down an aisle regardless of where I am ;)

Archived