in and out of Glacier Bay

karen of PA

I plan on getting up very early on the morning that we cruise into Glacier Bay so that I don't miss any scenery or possibly whale sightings. I was wondering if the ship takes the same route out of Glacier Bay or does it exit a different route. Is there a good possiblity of still seeing whales upon exiting the Bay?

Thanks.

I plan on getting up very early on the morning that we cruise into Glacier Bay so that I don't miss any scenery or possibly whale sightings. I was wondering if the ship takes the same route out of Glacier Bay or does it exit a different route. Is there a good possiblity of still seeing whales upon exiting the Bay?

Thanks.

Most whales are at the mouth of Glacier bay or in Snow passage. We saw more whales in the passages then Glacier bay. Our best view time was early evening. We actually a whale come up about 50 ft from the ship.

Here’s a map of a typical cruise ship route through Glacier Bay. The area near Pt Adolphus is a hot spot for whales and an excellent time to be on deck looking for whales while entering and exiting Glacier Bay. We were surrounded by whales last year shortly after dropping the ranger off at Bartlett Cove.

http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/upload/cruise-ship-routes-in-Glacier-Bay.pdf

Glacier Bay is a dead end. IF you wish to optimize your opportunities to see wildlife, then you need to consider being up and out on deck, at least 30/60 minutes prior to dawn, IF coming from Juneau or Skagway. This is your only opportunity as upon exit, it is westbound in Icy Strait. The ships frequently are "stalled" outside Bartlett Cove, so you have already missed Point Adolphus- a jackpot, consistent humpback feeding area. Upon entering, it will take about 3 hours to get to the glaciers. The most wildlife spottings are the outside half. Exception are harbor seals hauled out on ice, next to the glaciers. Anything is random.

IF you are going eastbound in Icy Strait, to Juneau or Skagway, it is of significant benefit to stay out on deck at least an hour past Bartlett Cove, you will see the rangers disembark.

ALWAYS have a good pair of binoculars with you, wide angle, I find necessary, along with 10 power is my preference. Lower power is never going to get any details on the puffins, if of any interest.

Archived