Shame on Port Ft Lauderdale

norcalal

@Norcalcal & Beachchik - PERCEPTION is a very strong thing. What you PERCEIVE may not be what is actually happening. Case in point, you might perceive that because I used capitals I was 'yelling', but I am not:). Many times when people are confronted with other persons who do not speak our language or appear to understand what is said to them, the automatic response is to raise ones voice....how many times have you found yourself speaking slower or louder when dealing with a person who is either deaf or hard of hearing? It's a very hard thing to unlearn:o.

Unless you are actively involved in the situation, you do not have full knowledge of what is going on - maybe you should have stepped in and tried to help the other people who maybe didn't understand the porters?;) JMHO

You are saying they are doing it for tips only? I find that hard to believe that anyone union would work for tips only. :rolleyes:

That is not my inference - there is no expectation of tips UNLESS they have provided a service not covered in the usual service (DH and I have paid a porter many times to expedite us through the customs lines - it's worth the money in our opinion).

I think many passengers are now afraid not to tip the porters because of the fear their luggage may not make it onto the ship:mad:.

Our last cruise out of Ft.Lauderdale in March, the porter approached us, introduced himself and said he will be in charge of our luggage and will take very good care of it. Of course he finished by saying all tips were welcome:eek::eek:.....our interpretation...no tip, maybe no luggage!!

Question: I've always had checked luggage that I left with the porters to "handle". I plan on bringing carry on luggage this year, sort of like a huge duffel bag (not military style). Would I be able to carry that on myself?

@Norcalcal & Beachchik - PERCEPTION is a very strong thing. What you PERCEIVE may not be what is actually happening. Case in point, you might perceive that because I used capitals I was 'yelling', but I am not:). Many times when people are confronted with other persons who do not speak our language or appear to understand what is said to them, the automatic response is to raise ones voice....how many times have you found yourself speaking slower or louder when dealing with a person who is either deaf or hard of hearing? It's a very hard thing to unlearn:o.

Unless you are actively involved in the situation, you do not have full knowledge of what is going on - maybe you should have stepped in and tried to help the other people who maybe didn't understand the porters?;) JMHO

I'm not sure why you mention me. I never said I had first hand knowledge of the situation. I simply said that no one has the right to yell at people or scare them in to giving tips. And if that is what occurred I wouldn't have given them anything. And no I don't speak louder when speaking with a deaf person. :rolleyes:

That is not my inference - there is no expectation of tips UNLESS they have provided a service not covered in the usual service (DH and I have paid a porter many times to expedite us through the customs lines - it's worth the money in our opinion).

Oh, ok. I got you now. :)

Question: I've always had checked luggage that I left with the porters to "handle". I plan on bringing carry on luggage this year, sort of like a huge duffel bag (not military style). Would I be able to carry that on myself?

Load it up with 40 lbs of stuff, carry it around the block and you will have your answer.

Apparently I am one of the few that get the point of the original post.

It doesn't matter whether they should get a tip or not. They have no right to yell and berate people to get it. And I would never give a dime to anyone I saw acting this way.

Totally agree. The OP says the porters that were apparently helping passengers disembark with their luggage and loading them into the cab/car were demanding tips in a rude manner.

No way that I'd put up with that. I'd probably say thank you and get in the car. What could they possibly do, take the luggage back out of the car?

Fully knowledge of the situation....you have to be kidding me...I grew up on the streets in NY, spent 40 years in the construction industry, drank in bars that would probably make you shudder...and you are telling me that I dont know a THUG when I see them!

It doesn't matter whether they should get a tip or not. They have no right to yell and berate people to get it. And I would never give a dime to anyone I saw acting this way.

We were just there about a month ago and we were treated with zero respect and YELLED at by two of them upon disembarking. We were: 2 adults and 4 children and were merely standing with our luggage on the opposite side of the port entrance awaiting for a larger van to get us to the airport. It just tops off your whole post vacation depression when you get yelled at from behind you, "MOVE! You people must not have brains! If you did you would use them". Two total jerks then came into view out of the corner of my eyes and almost ran over my daughter's heels with their carts. I am telling you....we really wish we didnt have to deal with these unkind and entitled workers every time we board the Allure or the Oasis. Its unfortunate.

If this happens near customs, that may not be a good idea. They (customs officials) often don't want people taking pictures/videos.

It read to me that this happens outside the terminal after clearing customs. Yes, don't use cell phones or take photos in the baggage or customs area.

All i have to say after reading this post is if a porter ever wants try and tell me anything to the effect of i "must" tip him and begins yelling at me......that will be the last day he works at that port for some time, I'll be sure of it!!

Porters are unionized, they have job secuity promised them via their membership. If you think that complaining is going to make any difference, you just don't understand the reality of it. There is no other option but for the port to hire ILWU workers, and there is no incentive for the ILWU to change anything.

David

And what difference does that make except to give you another post?

Why comment? Another post count for yourself? If you had looked back you will see that I deleted my comment because I re-read your post and saw that you did answer my question on your post. As to what difference it would make was that I probably would have given a token tip just to be a smart *ss to someone rude. Duh!!!!!!!!!!

I am telling you....we really wish we didnt have to deal with these unkind and entitled workers every time we board the Allure or the Oasis. Its unfortunate.

Here's my take on the situation...... While I agree that intimidation is wrong, and shouldn't be rewarded. I've seen many, many more "unkind and entitled" passengers than I ever have workers when I cruise.

From the time that I get off of the plane, I expect to pull out a few bucks every step of the way. I guess I feel that these people are there to make a living, just like you and I. Some passengers act like, because they shelled out 700 bucks for an inside cabin they are entitled to wear a crown for a week.......complete with servants. From a practical stand point, I think of it like this. I treat each employee that helps me with a smile, respect, and usually a few bucks. If all else fails remember this....

Your porter is alone with your luggage...... Your wait staff is alone with your food......... and your cabin steward is alone with your toothbrush:eek:!

For me........it's kinda like travel insurance......:D:D:D

Well said

Tips are in order, but, shouldn't be demanded.

Here's my take on the situation...... While I agree that intimidation is wrong, and shouldn't be rewarded. I've seen many, many more "unkind and entitled" passengers than I ever have workers when I cruise.

From the time that I get off of the plane, I expect to pull out a few bucks every step of the way. I guess I feel that these people are there to make a living, just like you and I. Some passengers act like, because they shelled out 700 bucks for an inside cabin they are entitled to wear a crown for a week.......complete with servants. From a practical stand point, I think of it like this. I treat each employee that helps me with a smile, respect, and usually a few bucks. If all else fails remember this....

Your porter is alone with your luggage...... Your wait staff is alone with your food......... and your cabin steward is alone with your toothbrush:eek:!

For me........it's kinda like travel insurance......:D:D:D

You bring up so good points:)....like your way of thinking;).

All i have to say after reading this post is if a porter ever wants try and tell me anything to the effect of i "must" tip him and begins yelling at me......that will be the last day he works at that port for some time, I'll be sure of it!!

Hope you have a good bail bondsman! :rolleyes:

Just address the porter by his name on his name badge, I did that once when the demand for a tip or the luggage might get wet was bought up. I'm a little hard of hearing and had to ask him twice what he said. He quickly changed his attitude when he understood I knew his name.

Archived