Shame on Port Ft Lauderdale

norcalal

I think many passengers are now afraid not to tip the porters because of the fear their luggage may not make it onto the ship:mad:.

Our last cruise out of Ft.Lauderdale in March, the porter approached us, introduced himself and said he will be in charge of our luggage and will take very good care of it. Of course he finished by saying all tips were welcome:eek::eek:.....our interpretation...no tip, maybe no luggage!!

I had this happen to me at an airport (don't remember which one). I was doing curb-side check-in. I did not tip, and my luggage made it to the correct destination. I'll check my luggage inside from now own (not that that's any guarantee that it will get directed properly!); that's why all my luggage has wheels.

I have cruised out of Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Port Canaveral, New Orleans, Baltimore, New York, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle, and several more foreign ports. In EVERY single US port I have experienced what the original porter described, with Ft Lauderdale and Miami being the two most aggressive in general. The porters are very blatant into pressuring for tips and have even implied that my customary $1/bag was not enough to ensure my luggage would make it onboard. I am one who does not mind tipping, but don't like to be pressured or subject to extortion just to receive my bags. Sadly we can complain all we want but all the ports are under the yoke of the longshoremen and I don't see the union doing anything to change the behaviour.

They aren't actually hired by the cruise lines either.

The cruise line contracts with a company that hires the porters.

According to the response from the port, they are hired by the cruise lines. If you don't feel that that's the case, then who do you think they work for? (I'm not being snarky here...I'm truthfully asking.)

According to the response from the port, they are hired by the cruise lines. If you don't feel that that's the case, then who do you think they work for? (I'm not being snarky here...I'm truthfully asking.)

I believe RCI uses Ceres Stevedoring in Ft. Lauderdale. Ceres actually employees the porters.

I have never had a porter demand a tip or act like he was expecting one, but I always have the tip ready. Maybe that is why.

OMG, another post count for me :).

Ha! In Bayonne a week ago, the direct quote was...

"We work for tips"

That's a total joke, although it is technically true... They have a wonderful base salary and to imply they are getting nothing in salary is a "shame on you" moment!

I'm sure that email will be prominently posted in the union hall next to the OSHA poster.:rolleyes:

Nope. The ILA is eco-friendly. You know they love green.

They save trees and print those kinds of emails on the back of the OSHA posters.:D

The sad thing is that even knowing ahead of time that the porters are going to be jerks and demand tips (from reading these posts and from past experiences), I'll still probably cave and give them $10 for my possibly two bags because I want them to handle my bags with care and make sure they get on the boat. I want them to not throw my bag around and break a wheel off (yes, it's happened to me, now I'm wondering if it's because I only gave them $2 a bag back then).

Unfair as it is, they are in somewhat of a position of power since we are at their mercy. I wish you could load your bag onto a conveyor belt yourself and not have anybody handle it. And then an RCI employee would take it from there and make sure it gets to your room.

The sad thing is that even knowing ahead of time that the porters are going to be jerks and demand tips (from reading these posts and from past experiences)....

Not necessarily. Like bplazo said, I have never had this happen to me. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but if it did happen as often as this thread leads you to believe, wouldn't the chances dictate I woud have experienced this at least once? Don't concern yourself with it. It's not worth the aggravation.

Not necessarily. Like bplazo said, I have never had this happen to me. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but if it did happen as often as this thread leads you to believe, wouldn't the chances dictate I woud have experienced this at least once? Don't concern yourself with it. It's not worth the aggravation.

I agree. It has never happened to me either and I do believe this is isolated. I dont care if the tip was justified, their approach was extortion and directed to those who could be intimated and was outrageous.

We've never had a problem with porters in any Florida port. In fact we have always found them friendly and nice.

Here's a GOOD experience: :)

Normally, after dropping off our luggage we both go to park the car. This time I needed to "wash my hands" so got off with the luggage.

After the porter put our luggage in the ben he started to walk away. I ask him to wait a minute because I wanted to give him a tip.

He smiled and told me my husband had already tipped him.

He didn't have to do that.

LuLu

~~~~

I have never had a porter demand a tip or act like he was expecting one, but I always have the tip ready. Maybe that is why.

OMG, another post count for me :).

...nor I in any port. I'm sure it happens but just like anything else, all porters appear to be getting lumped in with the bad on this thread.

From the other side....we recently cruised out of Baltimore. Gave the porter $2 for my 2 bags and said thank you. He looked surprised and thanked me. There was no hint of sarcasm or displeasure that I could detect. He genuinely seemed very happy and grateful for the tip. :confused::)

As a matter of interest why do American businesses not pay their employees proper wages/salaries. Seems to me that if they did there would be no need for tipping.

I've just left the building :)

As a matter of interest why do American businesses not pay their employees proper wages/salaries. Seems to me that if they did there would be no need for tipping.

I've just left the building :)

As far as porters go they are paid extremely well.

On out recent cruise on Indy out of Ft. Lauderdale our interactions with the porter could not have been any more pleasant. I told the porter that I had no luggage tags (I had no desire to be printing, laminating, or doing arts and crafts type stuff). He said that was no problem and to just let him see my set sail pass so that he could get all of the info right. When he was done he said that if we wanted to help out the porters with a donation it was fine and if not it was equally fine. So I tipped him. And I did so quite happily. Friendly and courteous service is all I have to say about the experience.

Unfair as it is, they are in somewhat of a position of power since we are at their mercy. I wish you could load your bag onto a conveyor belt yourself and not have anybody handle it. And then an RCI employee would take it from there and make sure it gets to your room.

Can't you take your luggage on the ship with you? Yes, you would have to carry/roll it around with you, but it could be done, couldn't it? Perhaps if more people did the pushy porters would get the message?

Can't you take your luggage on the ship with you? Yes, you would have to carry/roll it around with you, but it could be done, couldn't it? Perhaps if more people did the pushy porters would get the message?

I have learned to carefully pick my battles in life. This is not one of them.

The Porters are from the International Longshoreman's Association ( Union ) and if you have some suggestions for their group, this is who you should address your concerns:

Contact Us

ILA Local 1526

440 NW Sistrunk Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311

Telephone: 954-463-0248

Archived